Author Topic: Knight Length in Arizona  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Knight Length in Arizona
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
I carry this its light weight and strong and a real good blade...

Surefire   Delta: Folding Combat/Utility Knife
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »
I have a simple question that should effect the size of the knife you are allowed to carry. What do you plan on doing that will draw attention to yourself by the police that the issue of the size of your knife and concealed carry is brought up?

Should I notify the police now that you plan on going on a MRE cutting spree through Army/Navy stores state wide?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
Good question BlueJ1; not many people need or want to carry something that big in order to conceal it. While I am not the OP I carry my blade in almost every imagineable situation from dinner on the town with my wife and/or family and friends; to hunting for various in season game. Just about the only place I don't carry mine is to bed but it is within reach as is my friendly little pop gun for in home defense.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
well i dont know about your area but where i live i ALWAYS carry a pocket knife on me at all times when im out and about in town (except to school) because ive hardly lived here for about 2 months and i just cant trust these people. there always a little edgy around me..its just plain wierd

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »
Lol Subject line had me confused I live in az and had no idea we had knights. :noid

I just noticed that myself  :rofl

sorry guys
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »
Does anyone use a knife with a carbon steal blade?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 12:08:34 AM »
I carry this its light weight and strong and a real good blade...

(Image removed from quote.)
Surefire   Delta: Folding Combat/Utility Knife

"That's not a knife................ Now, THAT'S a knife."

See Rule #4

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »
See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 01:34:33 AM »

most pocket knifes are made of surgical or stainless steel, A carbon steel blade you have to oil to keep from rusting, not so with pretty much every pocket knife Ive ever seen.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:31 AM »

I have one carbon steel hunting knife, and it's a beach to sharpen.  High carbon steel has it's place for certain knives and people, and some folks I'm sure will swear by it.  For what I use a pocket knife for, day to day activities (and believe me, it sees some use), stainless works great.  Carbon steel will stay sharp longer, but it's not as if cutting MREs is going to dull your stainless in a week.  

Don't discount stainless, it's a great steel for a pocket knife.  Feel free to put up what you are considering on here and we can give you our impressions, of course the final decision is up to you.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »
for carrying around the house:

For the job:
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »
I'm trying to find out what is the maximum knife length that you can carry concealed with you in arizona. As far as I know if it's not concealed you can carry what ever you want, but the only thing I was able to find for concealed is that it has to be a pocket knife. I have no idea what is the official meaning of a pocket knife.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Rule of thumb and from every law enforcement person I know, if its length is less than (not = or greater) the width of your open palm, it is considered a utility/pocket knife.  It's a logic thing.  Gardners still use macheties, except they're 99% of the time in a sheath in the back of the truck next to a lawn mower, rake, leafe blower, etc..  Chefs still use (and own) lots of pretty big and sharp knifes they take with them to and from work, except these guys 99% of the time have a professional carrying case and look like they're just walking into or out of a professional kitchen.  I own and take out of the house with me often a number of knifes larger than my palm (and often concealed in my pockets), but 99% of the time these are on outdoor trips like camping or fishing where I have things to colaborate such things like my tent or fishing pole and tackle box.

Yes but they are rare and a dyeing breed.  Primarily the only religious carbon steel blade users I know are chefs or people in a position that they daily use/maintain/sharpen said carbon steel blade.  That's because you need to constantly maintain them, keeping them clean, dry/oiled, and know how to keep them sharp.  And even chefs are erring away from them for better and newer stainless steels that can hold up an equivalent edge without nearly as much maintenance or care and that can handle daily abuse much better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:31:42 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:45 PM »
two of my blades, that are Carbon Steel...well I guess one don't quit classify as a Blade.... :D

as you can see with the axe what happens when you don't oil it regularly, the Gurkha to me is the best all around heavy work knife.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
Been eyeing a couple ceramic pocket knives.

Gonna read a little more on em 1st. They don't give em away.

My 10 dollar autozone knives have been great for years, open with a slight flick of the wrist.

But it might be time to move up.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
One of the things I miss most about living in AZ is the common sense when it comes to these things.  Both in the written law and the application.  Either way, as long as you are not waving it around and threatening people, and/or they don't find it sticking out of someone, they are pretty much not going to care.
AZ passed the concealed carry after I left, so I imagine it's even easier.  The exceptions were banks, courthouses, bars, and any facility that has posted a "no guns" or "no weapons" sign.  (Again, common sense) I think it's safe to assume you still shouldn't carry there.
I lived out in the open desert, and carried a nice .45LC Remington m. 1895 and a handmade coffin handled Bowie with a 10' blade.  Never had anyone even ask me about it other than to "talk shop" and compare to theirs, including the cops :)
A lot of California Libs have been moving to Phoenix and Tucson lately, so things may change, and you are much more likely to run into someone wanting to cause trouble for you there, so I would recommend to err on the side of caution when traveling around there. I generally didn't open carry in those areas due to the political types, and most businesses in Phx had posted signs anyway. There may be City Ordinances to worry about as well.
Also, the cops in Mesa, at least when I was there, have a real attitude problem so be careful around them in any regard. 
Unless they have changed it, switchblades were legal, but butterfly knives were not, which is the only law that made no sense to me.