Author Topic: Why auto blend on grndtype.bmp?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
Why auto blend on grndtype.bmp?
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
Hi
Here is what happens. I paint my gndtype.bmp in photoshop, I apply my different nttxxx layers. Then if I change a nttxxx texture  or add a new one to my grndtype it shows up as a blend often  :headscratch:

I am forced to go in and hand paint to get the full depth from my new ntxxx/brush... Why the auto blending? Its defeating the time savings of painting in an out side program is this a common issue?..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:05:38 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Why auto blend on grndtype.bmp?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
What program are you using?

For instance in photoshop if you are not in grayscale mode and set your color profile correctly what happens when you save the file is that the grey values will actually change slightly causing a blend of different terrains.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »

What program are you using?

For instance in photoshop if you are not in grayscale mode and set your color profile correctly what happens when you save the file is that the grey values will actually change slightly causing a blend of different terrains.

Thank you for the reply..  What you have described is exactly what is happening ..Yes I'm in photo shop(elements)and work in grey scale on my groundtype.
  Its my understanding that I am to work in grey scale S I see no grey scale S to select in photoshop elements.  I must not have my color profile set correctly. What is the correct setting? web safe?
Thanks
RaVe

Saadi

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:43 AM »
Okay if you are in photoshop you need to have your color settings at:

RGB (doesn't really matter - mine is sRGB IEC61966-2.1)
CMYK (again doesn't matter - U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2)
Gray (sGray)
Spot (Black & White).

The Gray and Spot working space are the key. Otherwise the Gray color tends to shift when you save things even when working in grey scale. Or you can trying working in greyscale then index the file and then save it. Indexing it will fix the grey tones exactly. If you just save it to a bmp without your gray and spot setup it can shift. It drove me nuts.

So I recommend just creating a new color settings profile so you can switch to AHedit work quickly and then switch back to your normal color settings.
CM Terrain Team

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:16:37 AM »
Ok thanks Ill drill down in PS-eliments and try to find were i change the color profile.
 I think you have pinpointed the issue I do work in grey scale and I do save in index 256 but something is shifting.
Thank you for the help

Saadi

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:46 AM »
Open photoshop. Click on edit. In the drop down you will see "color settings" down toward the bottom. Click on that and it will bring up your color profile dialog box. That is where you need to make the changes.
CM Terrain Team

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »
Unfortunately PS-eliments is a watered down version and I have  very limeted control of my  space in it ... my selections are

In edit Color settings:
No Color Management
Limeted Color Management
Full Color Management

None of the settings resolve the issue. looks like its time to go buy big brother...

Thanks very much for the help in any case  :aok

Saadi