Author Topic: Knight Length in Arizona  (Read 1627 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Knight Length in Arizona
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
This is not exactly what I was looking for but I stumbled on these two knifes, was wondering if I could you get your opinion on them? As I never used one of those, I'm not sure how comfortable they are.

http://kennesawcutlery.com/Folding-Knives/Bear-Silver-Vein-Armor-Piercing-Butterfly-Knife

http://kennesawcutlery.com/Knives/BEAR-ARMOR-PIERCING-BLACK-BUTTERFLY-KNIFE

Are butterfly knifes officially considered to be weapons? (I think they are but I'm not sure)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:52:26 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:59 AM »
As I read it, basically it says, "no deadly weapons.  It defines deadly weapons as: "1. "Deadly weapon" means anything that is designed for lethal use. ".  Soo... whatever that means.  Now assuming you aren't doing anything else illegal, you probably will never be approached by an officer about it to have to worry in the first place, but there is always the chance something may happen where you'd have to disclose to an officer you have one.  Best case scenario he realizes you aren't using it as a weapon and doesn't bother you at all, worst case scenario he says you are in possession of a deadly weapon and you get in trouble.  That's you decision to make, probably won't be an issue, but there is always a chance.

That all being said, I would never carry one of these as a pocket knife for day to day tasks.  First of all, the fact that they call the thing "armor piercing" bugs the crap out of me, just marketing to make stuff sound Extreeeme!  :rolleyes:  I can't imagine the butterfly knife is really designed for the strain of repetitive tasks you would put on it in the roll of pocket knife.  The rivets at the pivot points will probably weaken fairly quickly leaving you with play in the knife that is frustrating and unsafe. 

These are some important things I consider when buying a knife.
1. Liner - lock or lock back design are by far the most prevalent folding pocket knife designs.  I prefer the liner-lock because it makes one-handed operation so much easier.
2. Clip - I don't like things loose in my pockets, I always clip my knife to my jeans pocket.  I want to make sure that it has a clip, and I like if I can flip the clip to carry my knife tip up in my pocket.
3. Thumb stud or other -  It has to be easy to reach and manipulate.  Spyderco does the cutout on their knives, but I still find it easy to use.
4. Blade -  Do you want serrations, most knife models have a serrated option or a strait edge option.  I don't know too much about the steels they use, but figure most knives over $30 are at least better than something you'd pick up in a bucket at the gas station.
5. Grip - Can I comfortably hold the knife and put pressure on the knife in my hand?  It doesn't have to be super-aggressive but could it work.  I think about cutting strait down through something, with that butterfly knife you are putting tremendous amounts of pressure on those two rivets, and all that is held together by the small notched piece at the back of the knife.  If that slips, somethings going to give.

So, IMO, butterfly knives are poor utility and/or pocket knives.  I don't know if you've ever heard of a guy named "nutnfancy" on youtube, but he does a series called "BEST Folding Knives Under $40."  He talks and rambles a lot, but makes some good suggestions.  http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#g/c/71D82B6E8A7BD53F.  Finally, I often check the ratings on Amazon.com to see what others are saying about the knife.

Good Luck.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
Rule of thumb and from every law enforcement person I know, if its length is less than (not = or greater) the width of your open palm, it is considered a utility/pocket knife.  It's a logic thing.  Gardners still use macheties, except they're 99% of the time in a sheath in the back of the truck next to a lawn mower, rake, leafe blower, etc..  Chefs still use (and own) lots of pretty big and sharp knifes they take with them to and from work, except these guys 99% of the time have a professional carrying case and look like they're just walking into or out of a professional kitchen.  I own and take out of the house with me often a number of knifes larger than my palm (and often concealed in my pockets), but 99% of the time these are on outdoor trips like camping or fishing where I have things to colaborate such things like my tent or fishing pole and tackle box.

Yes but they are rare and a dyeing breed.  Primarily the only religious carbon steel blade users I know are chefs or people in a position that they daily use/maintain/sharpen said carbon steel blade.  That's because you need to constantly maintain them, keeping them clean, dry/oiled, and know how to keep them sharp.  And even chefs are erring away from them for better and newer stainless steels that can hold up an equivalent edge without nearly as much maintenance or care and that can handle daily abuse much better.

IMO, the only type of blade is a carbon steel blade.

I say this as someone that uses one every day (sometimes I skip the weekends :) )

Yes, they rust if neglected, but if you want quality, carbon steel has no substitute.  If anyone wants to argue for stainless vs. carbon, try using one of these every morning made from stainless, but don't forget to show me pictures of your face  :aok

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 01:44:16 PM »
IMO, the only type of blade is a carbon steel blade.

I say this as someone that uses one every day (sometimes I skip the weekends :) )

Yes, they rust if neglected, but if you want quality, carbon steel has no substitute.  If anyone wants to argue for stainless vs. carbon, try using one of these every morning made from stainless, but don't forget to show me pictures of your face  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)

Even I like having one large carbon steel knife in the kitchen, you can split hairs or anything else after putting a fresh edge on it, but I have to treat it with over 2x as much care and attention than any other knife.  Other than treating it like it's alergic to water/moisture, the only drawback I don't like is having to sharpen it 1-2 times a month (ok, correction, I have two, one that lives in my drawer with an oddly oversized handle and with ~ a 3" long and narrow blade that I use as a fillet and pearing knife when I need a real sharp one, and which originaly started its life in this world as a rather large and heavy 8" kitchen knife), and after doing this for 10-20 years you're likely running out of any blade/metal left to sharpen because you've worn/sharpen it all away.  Stainless steel just holds a sharp edge longer, and as a result if you take good care of them they last and keep their shape forever.  The carbon steel is my favorite carving knife though, hands down, I can carve meat so thin it's transparent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:48:41 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
thanks for the help

continuing my search
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s