Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23608 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #435 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
Therefore we are a kinetic military simulator.

HiTech

Do that again HiTech and I will have to slap a "Rule #14" violation on you.  Just saying....

LOL!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #436 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
Do that again HiTech and I will have to slap a "Rule #14" violation on you.  Just saying....

:rofl

priceless

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »
What squadron were you with in WB? 

ack-ack

The Menacing Ferrets
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
 :lol  Ferret Face!

(Anyone get the Frank Burns reference?  :lol)

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
War is not supposed to be fun, a game is. Hence to try say one is the other, is an insult to both.

HiTech

War has so many connotations:  "Example:  4.     any  conflict  or  contest:  a  war  of  wits  ; the  war  against  crime",   it can also be construed as a struggle of will.   Base taking allows for such struggle,  air superiority also allows for struggle.  All with tidal change.  

Kinetic military simulator?  According to some websites,  kinetic military operations is the application of force for offense and defense operations.  The simulation of such, is  for training to be ready for war,  which is not fun.

Simulations are the closest watered down thing possible to conflict flying/Ground/sea support of WWII short of being transported back in time.   Flying troops to a base is not always 'fun',  knowing that you most likely will get shot down.   Neither is  resupplying a base.   It's more 'work' / labor ends to justify the means.  So is attempting to advance the front via fighter / bomber / troops  when after awhile the 'work' aspect creeps in.  People log off to give themselves a break.  If it were always fun, they'd be logged in 24/7

Some squads I've seen (not mine),  require minimum time of experience on a plane and demonstrations of skill to get airborne and remain qualified to stay airbone with the squad (I know this is true of at least one squad in WB and more than one in Il2).  Perhaps it also exists in AH.  That is work.

And for the community out there used to shoot em ups,  the steep learning curve to fly is not necessarily fun.  It's more learning, practice, frustration, all to get better.

If we didn't want to be online to mimick a war,  we would not participate in FSO or Axis Allied,  or Snapshot events where they attempt to recreate history,  track points of which side wins (military struggle).   It's not 100% war,  but again its also not 0% war.

There would be no point, and according to your definition a grave insult to recreate historical events for gaming purposes all to make a profit (yours) .  FSOs, Weekend Avas,  and Ava arena such as this example:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,310383.0.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:36:37 PM by gldnbb »
-The Golden BB-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #440 on: April 05, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
The Menacing Ferrets

LOL!

Used to fly with MOL (Men of Leisure) when I flew WB.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #441 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »
:lol  Ferret Face!

(Anyone get the Frank Burns reference?  :lol)

Actually, the squad name represents fun, casual flying,  but flying in a preferred arena of things a tad more real  of inflight radar and fly historical profile of axis vs allies  24/7 from  early to  mid to late war  rolling plane set. They accomplish both silly fun flights (come and shoot me down) and valid objectives. They give fun to folks who find capable of flying 'blind',  vectored to the fight by their buddies, and have fun defending a base or attacking.

They also brought more fun to Warbirds for being the only squad to host quarterly racing events, which Warbirds president always sponsors prize giveaways of  1st place = 1 month free flying.    Still a very successful event.

Unlike the Ferret Face Frank Burns reference,  Ferrets would probably best resemble M.A.S.H's Hawkeye Pierce's personality of pulling pranks amid a cloud of seriousness.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:35:09 PM by gldnbb »
-The Golden BB-

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
War has so many connotations:  "Example:  4.     any  conflict  or  contest:  a  war  of  wits  ; the  war  against  crime",   it can also be construed as a struggle of will.   Base taking allows for such struggle,  air superiority also allows for struggle.  All with tidal change.  

Are you really so obtuse as to try to use different definitions (you did not mean connotations, because connotations of war are NOT FUN, VERY BAD, SOMETHING YOU DON"T WANT)  of a word that have nothing to do with the use in my context?

The word war when used by itself only has one meaning. And that would be this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War

2nd read more current events. You might discover humor.

HiTech

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »
Are you really so obtuse as to try to use different definitions (you did not mean connotations, because connotations of war are NOT FUN, VERY BAD, SOMETHING YOU DON"T WANT)  of a word that have nothing to do with the use in my context?

HiTech

And yet on that same wikipedia page, it also defines

In all wars, the group(s) experiencing the need to dominate other group(s) are unable and unwilling to accept or permit the possibility of a relationship of fundamental equality to exist between the groups who have opted for group violence (war). The aspect of domination that is a precipitating factor in all wars, i.e. one group wishing to dominate another, is also often a precipitating factor in individual one-on-one violence outside of the context of war, i.e. one individual wishing to dominate another.[7]

You can argue that Aces high does not allow a virtual interpretation of this, when in fact it promotes organized squads to virtually 'shoot down others'  as well as the virtual destruction of objects and virtually capturing bases...
The one constant factor is war’s employment of organized violence and the resultant destruction of property and/ or lives that necessarily follows.

(And yes some mmorpg's have been termed as violent with violence ratings).

Going back to archived issues,  war and play were used interchangeably, as a venting method:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dkYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=playing+cowboys+and+indians+interprets+war?&source=bl&ots=lRoLE1dMHt&sig=H8By4abtM9yyqkvxp43Tbg_A_DY&hl=en&ei=RN-bTYz5GcLJ0QHp853mAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Not destruction of lives directly, of course., but Aces High allows for virtual recreations of historical events,  and encourage battling against one another.  From a virtual perspective,  it is a watered down attempt to wage war (in a fun way).  It is also what you advertise as 
Take part in special events such as historical scenarios where famous battles are recreated and reimagined
.   Why bother recreating battles of a war if it is an insult to do so? 

Most games out there allow for fantasy at waging war  and even advertise as so.  It's not real, but all want players to feel as if they can wage war (albiet in a safe environment).  Killing and strategy has always been a constant of the human condition, and these elements have been taken virtual and more graphically than ever (such as your virtual blood splattered on the cockpit).  This is where I'm coming from   (elements of war recreated).  I'm not obtuse,  rather taking a valid point that 'W a r'  is not restricted to the 100% end-game  definition of real death. That is why you have 'war' woven into advertising of toys whether physical or online, hand held things,  board games, they all have the sense of domination.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:05:47 PM by gldnbb »
-The Golden BB-

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2011, 03:44:04 AM »
It's not war if it's in a safe environment.  Esthetic blood and "killing" doesn't make a game a "war".
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »
....@sigh@... Well that's 7 minutes i'll never get back  :(

My compliments to the hijack about definitions on war and war games...  :uhoh
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #446 on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:01 PM »
Capping any arena at 100 is just plain stupid, that is all.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #447 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
Are you really so obtuse as to try to use different definitions (you did not mean connotations, because connotations of war are NOT FUN, VERY BAD, SOMETHING YOU DON"T WANT)  of a word that have nothing to do with the use in my context?

HiTech

Orange Arena tonight locked out solid to extent it appeared stuck.

Normally you can drop out of server log in and try again and eventually you can get in...

System froze tonight...whatever creative mechanism you guys use to "balance" was/is broken

My hunch is that the 100/100 for orange had no bearing whatsoever on the actual population of the arena

Time to check those functions

Out

Oneway

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #448 on: April 13, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »
Logging in and out doesn't matter, only that the relative player numbers are such that they trigger cap change.  E.G. if enough other players also log in and out.. but unless I'm mistaken on the math for effect of low-end population numbers on caps, that'd just be playing musical chairs.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,309083.msg3993102.html#msg3993102

So it's 80% of larger arena cap that needs to be filled before the smaller arena ups its cap.  But what's the lowest number that a larger arena needs to be populated with, for the smaller arena's cap to raise?  Or is that not a possible state, IE the only way for the smaller arena to raise its cap is for the larger one to be at =>80% capacity?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:53:13 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #449 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
Orange Arena tonight locked out solid to extent it appeared stuck.

Normally you can drop out of server log in and try again and eventually you can get in...

System froze tonight...whatever creative mechanism you guys use to "balance" was/is broken

My hunch is that the 100/100 for orange had no bearing whatsoever on the actual population of the arena

Time to check those functions

Out

Oneway

Nothing is broken, when an arena is full it will not show you the extra people in the arena.

HiTech