Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23608 times)

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Are you serious?
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
n/m wrong thread
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »
Must...get...into...locked... arena...   :x

Otherwise I'll just come here and complain.  :rofl

:headscratch:
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Are you really so obtuse as to try to use different definitions (you did not mean connotations, because connotations of war are NOT FUN, VERY BAD, SOMETHING YOU DON"T WANT)  of a word that have nothing to do with the use in my context?

The word war when used by itself only has one meaning. And that would be this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War

2nd read more current events. You might discover humor.

HiTech

Your wiki definition doesnt say anything about war not being fun or something to avoid. And it did not say that it only has one meaning. "war is a universal phenomenon whose form and scope is defined by the society that wages it" meaning you could call a sporting event war if thats how two opposing societies chose to settle their differences.

And what do our armed forces call it when they practice warfare?  "WAR GAMES." And guess what, they ARE FUN. It doesnt matter if it is real life manuevers or an actual video game like "Americas Army." Yes a video game where people dont actually die is considered a "war" or combat simulation. And Air Force flight simulators arent that different from AH, are you going to tell us that they arent participating in simulated warfare? Bet the AF is going to   :bhead  over that revelation.

And who ever told you that war wasnt fun? I think there are more than a few people in history who thoroughly enjoyed war. They may not be politically correct as some of you pretend to be, but I would bet most special forces guys look forward to it, most fighter pilots can't wait to become an ace.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #455 on: April 14, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
That amalgam of semantics is what you call a better definition than HT's?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #456 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
Nice words. They dont fit well together, but looks impressive.

It's not HTs definition is it? It was wikis in this particular case and he's the one who contradicts "his" own definition! And I consider it a very good definition, wouldnt change it for the world.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
You miss the point that AH is a game.  That war is by theoretically and practically supposed to be unfair, which is what a game is supposed to not be.

Two groups in conflict choosing to resolve their differences thru games, are not at war.
The war games used for training are war games -- Games.  No one is killed.
That people get a kick out of war doesn't change the fact that it's war, and not a game.
Using an AF simulator isn't war -- there's a reset button.  You could argue that it is virtual war because it's not meant to be fair IE it's meant to reflect WAR conditions, but there's your amalgamation: that's just what AH does not intend to reflect.
The politically correct quip is irrelevant, just an opportunistic snipe.

You've taken a bunch of different contexts and meanings to words IE semantics, and mixed em all together indiscriminately to get the result that supports your POV.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »

And who ever told you that war wasnt fun? I think there are more than a few people in history who thoroughly enjoyed war. They may not be politically correct as some of you pretend to be, but I would bet most special forces guys look forward to it, most fighter pilots can't wait to become an ace.

Spend some time talking to the guys who got shot at for real, and then come back and tell me that it was fun for them.

I could quote any number of Spitfire pilots I've talked to, but I'll refer to my Nephew who is with the 101st in Afghanistan and has seen a lot of combat.  His comment, in all seriousness, and in reference to having killed and having watched friends die was that 'it wasn't any video game'.

Going in, lots of folks romanticize war.  Coming out, those that survive, don't.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #459 on: April 14, 2011, 11:49:15 PM »
Even the most war-like part of AH, events and scenarios, are carefully crafted to be fair - for the two strategic sides to start on an even ground and to have no loopholes to exploit (a hallmark of genuine all-out war).  Even the boredom of war is minimized by design, for the sake of gameplay.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2011, 03:01:54 AM »
You miss the point that AH is a game.  That war is by theoretically and practically supposed to be unfair, which is what a game is supposed to not be.

Two groups in conflict choosing to resolve their differences thru games, are not at war.
The war games used for training are war games -- Games.  No one is killed.
That people get a kick out of war doesn't change the fact that it's war, and not a game.
Using an AF simulator isn't war -- there's a reset button.  You could argue that it is virtual war because it's not meant to be fair IE it's meant to reflect WAR conditions, but there's your amalgamation: that's just what AH does not intend to reflect.
The politically correct quip is irrelevant, just an opportunistic snipe.

You've taken a bunch of different contexts and meanings to words IE semantics, and mixed em all together indiscriminately to get the result that supports your POV.

Who said war was supposed to be unfair? What definition of war did you find that in? What definition did you find that said warfare required death?

I am perfectly capable of seeing that AH is a game. A game that simulates warfare. I never said an AF simulator was a real life war, it is simulated war. No it is not always programmed to be unfair. They use multiple scenarios and they are not ALWAYS set up to be "unfair" scenarios.

By EVERY CRITERIA in the definition that hitech himself posted, AH is warfare. TECHNICALLY it is not even a "simulation" because again, the game fits the DEFINITION of warfare. It is a video game that has a sole purpose of allowing players to engage in a war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whether it is on the ground, in the air, or on the water, players engage in warfare.

All of your twisted, excessive, vainglorious verbiage doesnt change the fact that several people, for some ridiculous reason, are arguing that AH is not a war simulation. Im done. Call it what you want. When you get webster to change the definition, you can have it your way.

Spend some time talking to the guys who got shot at for real, and then come back and tell me that it was fun for them.

I could quote any number of Spitfire pilots I've talked to, but I'll refer to my Nephew who is with the 101st in Afghanistan and has seen a lot of combat.  His comment, in all seriousness, and in reference to having killed and having watched friends die was that 'it wasn't any video game'.

Going in, lots of folks romanticize war.  Coming out, those that survive, don't.

The politically correct comment was completely relevant and Guppy here just proved it. He is following the politically correct doctrine by pointing out the many men who have seen warfare and came away with haunting experiences. The truth is, the vast majority of vets will probably come away with those feelings.

As you should have seen, I didnt say ALL men enjoyed war. I didnt even say it had to be a sane man who likes war. But that doesnt change the fact that there is a small percentage of men who enjoyed it. How many spec ops guys did multiple combat tours in Vietnam when they didnt have to? I knew one. He didnt romanticize it, but he neither did he shy away from talking about his experiences and even laughed at memories. He didnt bow his head in some politically correct display of grief or regret. He enjoyed his combat experiences and military service and that's why he made a career out of the Army for at least another eleven years that I know of. And now I'm done with the ridiculous tangent!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
When you talk about the meanings of words context is important. Nitpicking definitions while ignoring the obvious intent and context of usage is asinine.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:53 AM »
This thread is still going, wow.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #463 on: April 15, 2011, 08:05:51 AM »
No it's all done because Muzik has run out of BS and clever ways of twisting words.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
Um, ever read the homepage?

"Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WW1 and WW2 air combat and sets it in a high intensity online multiplayer environment.  Hundreds of players simultaneously battle it out against each other in massive aerial dogfights and bomber raids. 

High fidelity flight simulation is the heart of Aces High but it doesn't end there.  A war rages on the ground and at sea.  Engage enemy armor in tank combat.  Protect your fleet as a gunner or make a torpedo run in a PT boat.  Lead an assault in an amphibious vehicle.  With over 100 warbirds, vehicles, and boats available, you have access to a vast virtual arsenal..."