Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23951 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #360 on: March 21, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
Another random idea.  Each player gets two free "Bumps into the capped arena" per week.  That way if they really want to fly with their friends on a given day they can get in there.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #361 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
I figured that since HiTech was watching this maybe something would be done. That's my only concern with the game at this time.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #362 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
Another random idea.  Each player gets two free "Bumps into the capped arena" per week.  That way if they really want to fly with their friends on a given day they can get in there.

Yep, that's fair...  :huh

Squad of 20 just HAS to play in capped arena.  They meet in lobby for their "squad night" and all get a free pass into the capped arena, making it that much more out of whack.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

Squad of 20 just HAS to play in capped arena.  They meet in lobby for their "squad night" and all get a free pass into the capped arena, making it that much more out of whack.

The same squad of 20 moving into the arena that has 20 existing players would cause serious imbalance, basically 10 vs 30 situation. That'll do a whole lot of good for everyone! Squad of 20 clubbering 3 uppers on a deacked field  :rock
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »

Might as well embellish a little more and make it a squad of 60 meeting in the lobby and all forcing in at once, but good point nonetheless, two per week is too high.  Two free passes per month to be used how you wish.  Seems fair to me.  Use them wisely.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
The same squad of 20 moving into the arena that has 20 existing players would cause serious imbalance, basically 10 vs 30 situation. That'll do a whole lot of good for everyone! Squad of 20 clubbering 3 uppers on a deacked field  :rock

Would just show me that squad doesn't care about fights...just easy kills.  A little self-control goes a long way to keep opponents interested in coming back for more fights.

I can understand squads wanting to fly and fight as one cohesive unit, but c'mon...there's a point where it becomes ludicrous.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #366 on: March 21, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
Would just show me that squad doesn't care about fights...just easy kills.  A little self-control goes a long way to keep opponents interested in coming back for more fights.

I can understand squads wanting to fly and fight as one cohesive unit, but c'mon...there's a point where it becomes ludicrous.

So what do you suggest the rest of the squad to do while the 3 are fighting 1 vs 1 and there ARE NO MORE ENEMIES?

Even if the squad is going to attack all sides at once they still overpower them. Dont you get it?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #367 on: March 21, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
I have a suggestion to Hi Tech that will not help the cap issue whatsoever.
On the log in screen I'd change the caps for the Early and Mid wars to 100.
I'm sure there are a lot people out there not following these cap dicussions.
I feel when they see that 350 cap in these areans like this and LWO cap down to 100 like this.
Early War Green     0-players cap-350
Mid War Purple      2-Players  cap-350
Late War Orange  100 Players cap-100
Sir, they think you've lost your ever loving mind.
Like I said, this won't help the cap issue at all but it might help with some of the players prception Hi Tech.

Given my limited knowledge of the caps, it won't help.
Given my knowledge of people, it won't hurt.

<S> BELLATOR

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #368 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
Im sorry. When I said Uber plane I meant EZ mode. Spits, NIKIS F4UC etc
Ive flown the 152, And like the D9 and while I agree to a certain degree those are "uber" rides. Mostly because of their speed and guns. But I dont consider them by any stretch of the imagination to be EZ mode. They are actually two of the most difficult planes to fly and be successful in with any regularity.

As far as the  Scoring in the Newbie arena. I know what you mean. But thats why I am suggesting a mandatory side balance in it. Maybe make it two sided as opposed to 3. That way your assured that the numbers going against one another are relatively even and not a true representation of the MA. Maybe even take it a step further and have zone/base limits. That way you should always have say 10 players always going against 10 players most of the time. Scoring will have to be a formula of sorts. Possibly a combination of Hit%, kills (actual and not proxie) and K/D ratio. And maybe limit the actual time allowed in the Newb arena to be 30 days or a set number of hours plyed total. Im thinking that if you cant get at least a grasp of whats going on in 30 days. Then there isnt much hope for you lol
I dunno Dred. 
The D9 and 152 are two sides of the "ultimate 190" coin. Successful D9 flying means very slippery flying with very quick reflexes and very accurate gunnery because of relatively low hitting power + high relative speeds.  152 means you have to be much more careful with your E (less acceleration and level top speed) but can afford to slow down if you can manage 2-3 snapshot oppy's thanks to the guns, and on the other hand E retention is much easier and flexible than D9 and stall departure is completely better.. In the MAs I find it much easier to rack up kills with the 152.  I tested it a few nights in a row - flown in a pure killing mode with no regard for fun, ended up with a dozen kills per sortie and on avg 1 rearm before I died.  Yes it's not a beginner plane, but IMO it's definitely uber in the sense that I can club baby seals like you were saying is arguably unfair.

Also the non-perk easymodes give up speed for their firepower (hurri2c, n1k..) or maneuverability (zero, spits...).  Speed is a major card in your hand.  Disengage at will, outpace the furball's movement, etc.  So yeah, the D9 and K4, 152, etc, are less beginner planes but they IMO belong in 'uber'.

On the newbie arena-
The 30day limit hints at a similar shortcut.  You might not have to have a perfectly reliable skill evaluation system.  If by the time there's any ambiguity (as far as the skill-eval algorithm can tell), most players have already gotten enough practice from this special environment, you can just call it a day and ship em out.  "Good enough"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:49:02 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
I have a suggestion to Hi Tech that will not help the cap issue whatsoever.
On the log in screen I'd change the caps for the Early and Mid wars to 100.
I'm sure there are a lot people out there not following these cap dicussions.
I feel when they see that 350 cap in these areans like this and LWO cap down to 100 like this.
Early War Green     0-players cap-350
Mid War Purple      2-Players  cap-350
Late War Orange  100 Players cap-100
Sir, they think you've lost your ever loving mind.
Like I said, this won't help the cap issue at all but it might help with some of the players prception Hi Tech.

Given my limited knowledge of the caps, it won't help.
Given my knowledge of people, it won't hurt.

<S> BELLATOR

Even simpler, for the simple folk:

OPEN
CLOSED

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
Well now Wrongway that would pretty much kill the cap issue huh?
Then we can have a new thread asking why certain arenas are closed and others open.  :D

<S> BELLATOR

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »

OPEN
CLOSED

wrongway

I hope you're the 101th person to join and see the closed sign. Happy playing alone waiting for the oncoming dozen or so within the next hour lol.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »

OPEN
CLOSED

wrongway

:aok

but then they wont know which arena is "better"  :rofl

In the mean time I have a suggestion for people, flip a coin, heads = orange, tails = blue. flip it every time before you log in. and stay in that arena. The arenas are the same, it doesn't matter which one you play in. Just play in the lower # arena, it wont kill you.

I ALWAYS play in the lower # arena (typically blue). Never have to wait to get in. Amazing how that works.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:30 PM »
Well now Wrongway that would pretty much kill the cap issue huh?
Then we can have a new thread asking why certain arenas are closed and others open.  :D

<S> BELLATOR

Yeah. I thought of that.

It really the same whine though.

I hope you're the 101th person to join and see the closed sign. Happy playing alone waiting for the oncoming dozen or so within the next hour lol.

It has been my experience since the new Off-Hours stuff that the numbers are pretty even in both arenas.

Maybe I'd be forced into the 117/150 arena instead of the 100/100 arena?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »
Yeah. I thought of that.

It really the same whine though.

It has been my experience since the new Off-Hours stuff that the numbers are pretty even in both arenas.

Maybe I'd be forced into the 117/150 arena instead of the 100/100 arena?

wrongway

It's more like 200(cap)/20 for extended period of time after the reset. I see many people just decide to logoff instead of starting to jack with the logins and wait everything to start to run again.