Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 24052 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #390 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
This is a MMO after all, people play it to get a sense of a real war and taking territory. If you just want to run missions or dogfight in small groups, play IL-2 or join the Duel Arena.

Myself, I play to fight in WW2 equipment.  Sometimes it's "mindless" furballing, or it's helping take a base, or it's defending a base.  Sometimes it's in a plane, other times it's a GV.  Sometimes it's just helping a new guy get off the ground.  It doesn't matter what arena I'm in or what map is up (although some maps are more fun than others).

Everyone has their own reasons for playing.  If you want to help the green wave wash over the map, so be it.  But there's also a map in the other arena that could use your help too; it shouldn't be that big a deal which arena you're in, as you'd be helping the green guys take territory.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #391 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

The problem is squad camraderie.    Caps  ruin it if the squad is deeply intrenched in 'your' war and cannot disengaged from One arena to move to another to accomodate those left behind.    Plain and simple.  

It sucks to fly in another arena, separated from your dedicated wingmen and squadmates.

Caps will not force me to go into blue arena,  i'd rather fly elsewhere and at times have chosen IL2 1946 sturmovik  or go do other real world activities.  All because of caps which will become worse.

Get it now?

The higher 80% will just ruin more squad nights.   Make those who are individuals, less likely to join a squad, and perhaps less loyal to AH   (perhaps)....  At the most,  they will camp online more often so that they can find a spot when the peak of squads get online  (and this will ruin side percentages and ENY).

Hello?  Knock knock...

Oh and for those other naysayers,   there will always be a horde mentality  when  one side  (bishops)  always run coordinated ops against the rooks who quite frankly mostly prefer to furball.  Obeservable fact.

Poking a bear with sharp stick is never  good idea when a more diplomatic tongue is in order.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #392 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »
Are yall seriously that jaded to see his real point? His point wasn't just that he wants to play with his squad. His argument mentions that he wants to stay in the fight he has already committed to. I sympathize and agree with this. I don't want to spend hours doing bombing runs and taking towns only to take a short break and come back to find that I have to go to a different map and start all over again. I want to see the influence I have made on the game. If I help take an airfield and log off, I want to come back to see that my country mates have used that airfield to attack other nearby airfields.

This is a MMO after all, people play it to get a sense of a real war and taking territory. If you just want to run missions or dogfight in small groups, play IL-2 or join the Duel Arena.

Wrong, wrong, wrong......people play this game for many reasons...yes there are a bunch that like to attack Bases and shoot down static objects...more power to em....but there are many who enjoy a good ariel fight between planes of a by gone era...and absolutly do not give 2 hoots about the "war".....AH is about COMBAT land sea or air..its not about WW2....or "war",   you cannot get a "real" sense of war from AH, there are other games that could do that for ya...if its even possable to get a "real" sense of War, from a game.....get black ops or something like that for a "war".....AH is about Combat, and there is not a game out there that can give you the combat AH can :aok

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #393 on: March 22, 2011, 10:03:39 PM »
Wrong, wrong, wrong......people play this game for many reasons...yes there are a bunch that like to attack Bases and shoot down static objects...more power to em....but there are many who enjoy a good ariel fight between planes of a by gone era...and absolutly do not give 2 hoots about the "war".....AH is about COMBAT land sea or air..its not about WW2....or "war",   you cannot get a "real" sense of war from AH, there are other games that could do that for ya...if its even possable to get a "real" sense of War, from a game.....get black ops or something like that for a "war".....AH is about Combat, and there is not a game out there that can give you the combat AH can :aok

Yea, that's my point, huge furballs and such. Plus without the people attacking static objects, you wouldn't have bomber formations to attack and COMBAT. MMO = BIG FIGHTS, otherwise they need to update the graphics since there is no need for dated graphics when the number of players is small.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #394 on: March 22, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
Hoff now that you've been here a couple of days can you tell me why there is a split arena with caps?

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
Just for the record, Titanic Tuesday was more Lag Tuesday as usual.  It seemed worse tonight.  I am so glad that HTC was wise enough not to run 1 LW Arena all the time.   I would leave the game if they did.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »
Are yall seriously that jaded to see his real point? His point wasn't just that he wants to play with his squad. His argument mentions that he wants to stay in the fight he has already committed to.

Sometimes those who want their cake and eat it too lose their heads.

I thought his point was  :cry:cry , and  :cry

He expressed it very well.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2011, 11:38:09 PM »
Hoff now that you've been here a couple of days can you tell me why there is a split arena with caps?

It's obviously a lag issue, but 200-300 people seems to work fine. Also, only certain people lag, which may mean it isn't really a server issue and it's just a player issue (I'm sure there are some people from UK and I know I would never want to play in a FPS tournament with 200+ ping so I'm sure this is no different). I don't mind the two server thing when it's at 200/200, but when it's capped at 100/100 that's just silly.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2011, 02:05:42 AM »
I don't mind the two server thing when it's at 200/200, but when it's capped at 100/100 that's just silly.

Or, you could look at the big picture.

Why cap at 100? To keep the numbers close to even in both arenas.

Before the off-hours switch the problem was you would have one arena with 200/200 and the other with 50/250.

No one wanted to be in the 50 person arena, never realizing if they all went there it wouldn't be a 50 person arena. Instead, they would try to refresh over and over and over trying to be the one or two who managed to get into the full arena when a space opened up.

Now, everyone gets booted instead of just opening a new arena. The numbers stay closer. The "everybody is over there" whine is less valid.

Remember, no one wants to be one of the 50.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
Are yall seriously that jaded to see his real point? His point wasn't just that he wants to play with his squad. His argument mentions that he wants to stay in the fight he has already committed to. I sympathize and agree with this. I don't want to spend hours doing bombing runs and taking towns only to take a short break and come back to find that I have to go to a different map and start all over again. I want to see the influence I have made on the game. If I help take an airfield and log off, I want to come back to see that my country mates have used that airfield to attack other nearby airfields.

Exactly.....  thanks for agreeing with my post seeing the light..   As for the 'go to blue arena' mentality,  quite frankly the maps in there in the past have sucked from time to time,  and I like having the alternative ability to check out the 'other map'.  

As for the 'furball'  argument,  that holds no water  as  observed most times the Bishops and Knits are constantly taking bases.   Just sit back in the tower and watch how often knits and bishops capture flags.   That's not combat,  that's strategy/war/  base taking.

The ones who are mostly 'combating'  land sea and air are the rooks, the rooks mostly furballing,  hard to herd cats to take barely 1 base.  

And as the arena resets, you see a major push by Bishops to attack the rooks,  and Knits to attack the rooks.  Barely they fight one another until theyve both gone after most of the rook bases.

The small arena caps of 100 and 200,  hurt  squads (at least on the rooks side) that care about fighting back, or as you say 'doing combat' by doing fighter sweeps

I've played Il2 where people both 'combat'  and  also achieve objectives set out by the arena to win the map.   I see the same thing in the Main Arena.   It's a war using all tools available.   The  'sense' of war is the bloodshed taking something,  defending something,  using what tools are presented.  That is the definition of war and you certainly have that in the Main arena.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:04:20 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
The ones who are mostly 'combating'  land sea and air are the rooks, the rooks mostly furballing,  hard to herd cats to take barely 1 base.  
And as the arena resets, you see a major push by Bishops to attack the rooks,  and Knits to attack the rooks.  Barely they fight one another until theyve both gone after most of the rook bases.

I don't agree with you here.  This is because you're only seeing this from a Rook's perspective.  You should go fly in a different country for a couple of weeks.  I mean seriously fly!  You'll see the SAME exact thing!

Do you seriously believe that the behavior of the game play of the three countries are different in even the slightest?

If you were a Bish, you'd think that the Bish were the furballers, and that the Knights and the Rooks both pick on you!  If you were a Knight, you'd think the Knights were the furballers, and that the Bish and the Rooks picked on you.

As one country, we don't really get to see the fighting that the other two countries are doing with each other.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »
That is the definition of war and you certainly have that in the Main arena.

This game is so far from "war", it's not even funny, and to compare it to war is even funnier.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
I don't agree with you here.  This is because you're only seeing this from a Rook's perspective.  You should go fly in a different country for a couple of weeks.  I mean seriously fly!  You'll see the SAME exact thing!

Do you seriously believe that the behavior of the game play of the three countries are different in even the slightest?

If you were a Bish, you'd think that the Bish were the furballers, and that the Knights and the Rooks both pick on you!  If you were a Knight, you'd think the Knights were the furballers, and that the Bish and the Rooks picked on you.

As one country, we don't really get to see the fighting that the other two countries are doing with each other.

Most certainly different.  At least up until in the last few weeks where some rooks seem to begin to work together.

IN the past when flying or sitting in tower,  I've seen much more base captures across the buffer from the Bishops and from the Knits  than I see from the rooks.   Like 1 rook capture to 3x the  bishop captures.   I've seen silly runs by the knits  attacking and capturing rook field after field after field and rooks not going to defend or taking forever to defend.   Hardly see knits perform that kind of attacks on the bishops.   It's just silly watching at times.    Then there's map watching and seeing how much more bases the bishops own.   Also seen many many times where more rook bases are flashing due to bishops and more rook bases flashing due to knits.   I've seen this as actual fact that most of the time will see less bases flashing on the knit/bishop front.  Observable fact during the time I'm online flying.

But now finally some rooks are starting to pool resources,  but the pace of captures are still held with bishops in the lead due to their coordination.

Perhaps its the tides of observations between you and I,  or the times you fly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:27:04 PM by gldnbb »
-The Golden BB-

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
During my time flying and sitting in tower,  I see much more base captures across the buffer.   And then once in awhile a rook takes a base.   It's just silly watching at times.    Then there's map watching and seeing how much the bishops own the maps.   I've seen many many times where more rook bases are flashing due to bishops,  and more rook bases flashing due to knits.   I've seen this as actual fact, that most of the time will see more rook bases flashing   than will see the  bishop / knit bases flashing due to attacking one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »
This game is so far from "war", it's not even funny, and to compare it to war is even funnier.

War, by definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War
"In all wars, the group(s) experiencing the need to dominate other group(s) are unable and unwilling to accept or permit the possibility of a relationship of fundamental equality to exist between the groups who have opted for group violence (war). The aspect of domination that is a precipitating factor in all wars, i.e. one group wishing to dominate another, is also often a precipitating factor in individual one-on-one violence outside of the context of war, i.e. one individual wishing to dominate another"

Aces High main arena exhibits this,  except in the dueling arena and at times in the AvA arena,
 by this definition as each group tries to take from the other group capturing bases, killing carriers, etc.  Either to psychologically disrupt or  win the map.

If there was no war,  we wouldn't be flying around shooting each other down in the attempt to defend a base or attack a base,  or sink each other's carriers.  Instead,  the goal is using aircraft, seacraft, and ground vehicles to achieve an objective:  Take from the enemy.   Some other folks, however, view online time as to just dogfight or trade shells in tanks without the care of supporting an objective.  Those folks don't view it as war,  and that is their perception.

There is no military heirarchy to force you, and you don't fear being killed if you get dominated,  but the concept of war is played out every day whether or not you participate in it.  Even chess can be seen this way,  taking out the opponent (just like dogfights).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/mar/04/2

The build-up to the war in Iraq coincided with the first results from the chess simulations run by Jason Scholz and his team. "We watched with great interest the dialogue between General [Tommy} Franks, who wanted to use more materiel, and Donald Rumsfeld who wanted a fast tempo and lighter units,"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:10:01 PM by gldnbb »
-The Golden BB-