Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23925 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »
The game is whatever the majority of the customers make it to be.  If the majority of the customers only battled in tanks it would be a ground vehicle game.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
The word Combat is derived from the French (combattre) and simply means "fighting" and in no way means that death must be a result of combat, so UFC fighting is a form of combat between 2 opponents.

Thank ya Slap :salute

I don't know why I bother....just cant help myself sometimes :confused:

Offline Mygg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
I don't like the cap but I accept the way it is.

Maybe if they limited the amount of planes that can be launched from a field this might not be needed?

Splitting the community in any way is always a bad idea and will cause a lot of problems, I remember Ultima Online back in the day; when they added Trammel that split the game up: That really annoyed the community, tons of people left and was the beginning of the end for them.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #423 on: March 30, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
You really need to get outside more .... buddy.

Nice try at a jab.   HTC allows for more complex things that require more time and patience than just a simple dogfight.    And my observations are also a result of things witnessed by the community that partake in these activities,  more than the simple time it takes to up a fighter, shoot someone down, get shot down.  Rinse repeat and log off without nary any investment in the cumulative time taken other than just climbing to altitude and RTB'ing  (except for a score you may or may not care about).

Without these things,  bombers wouldn't be needed or wanted or modeled,  FSO's would then detract into dogfights because there would be no one wanting bombers.  Saturday events would halt to exist because there'd be no players who care about objectives  to withstand a 5 week scenario.  The MA arena is the fostering ground, that brings in a wide variety of participants which also feed the scenarios.  There'd be no persons online who enjoy planning/implementing for scenarios.  It would be a plain game.

These complex aspects require time, patience,  and yes people log off when their efforts are thwarted.  Or they switch things up (like me)  in a fighter just to have fun for awhile.

You get your jollies your way,  and other's get theirs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:02:39 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #424 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
Nice try at a jab.   HTC allows for more complex things that require more time and patience than just a simple dogfight.    And my observations are also a result of things witnessed by the community that partake in these activities,  more than the simple time it takes to up a fighter, shoot someone down, get shot down.  Rinse repeat and log off without nary any investment in the cumulative time taken other than just climbing to altitude and RTB'ing  (except for a score you may or may not care about).

Without these things,  bombers wouldn't be needed or wanted or modeled,  FSO's would then detract into dogfights because there would be no one wanting bombers.  Saturday events would halt to exist because there'd be no players who care about objectives  to withstand a 5 week scenario.  The MA arena is the fostering ground, that brings in a wide variety of participants which also feed the scenarios.  There'd be no persons online who enjoy planning/implementing for scenarios.  It would be a plain game.

These complex aspects require time, patience,  and yes people log off when their efforts are thwarted.  Or they switch things up (like me)  in a fighter just to have fun for awhile.

You get your jollies your way,  and other's get theirs.

Listen ... I have played this game for over 9 years now. I have participated and lived all the experiences that this game has to offer so your not telling me anything that I don't already know ... been there done that ... got the t-shirts and caps from 3 conventions.

Never, and I repeat never, have I ever assimilated and/or felt that this game could ever reflect the horrors of a "real war". I have never lost sight that this is just a game and this is probably why those of us that have been here for the length of time I have been around and some since beta are still here.

People who take this game seriously don't tend to stick around too long ... it eventually wears them down.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #425 on: March 31, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I was wondering if HTC could implement some sort of threshold based on population as to when arenas or terrains are swapped?

Let's say the large (850) capacity off hours arena contains a certain percentage higher than the population capacity ONE of the two arenas that will replace it at certain times of the day........maybe delay swapping closing the arena/swapping terrain.

Many people are left hanging without a place to land when doing long buff missions.........or hunting those high altitude buffs when the arena/terrain change happens.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #426 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
The change happens the same time of day everyday. Plan your trips accordingly. If they changed it to a "certain percentage" you would never know for sure when the arenas would be changing, you could never plan for it.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #427 on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »

Combat can be many forms, and this one is virtual.

So can war!

"I have been playing since 2002 and have yet to spill one drop of blood or kill some mother's young son as a result of playing this GAME.

Yes this game has a variety of "conflict" points but they are there to promote "combat" as Ink has already pointed out."

And no where in any of the posted definitions does it say that war must be real life or spill blood. Psychological warfare does not necessarily spill blood, economic warfare does not spill blood, and simulated warfare does not spill blood.

This game is a war simulation like it or not. It does not copy real life, but it is still a war. There is conflict, aggression, society, and mortality, it may be simulated mortality, but it is still mortality. Every aspect that defines war.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #428 on: March 31, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
Not even close.  The only cost of this 'war' you speak of, is $14.95 a month.  There is no risk, no nothing, outside of the occasional divorce, or heart attack from sitting at the computer too long and not getting any exercise
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #429 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »

People who take this game seriously don't tend to stick around too long ... it eventually wears them down.

I was at Warbirds for 6+ years with a squad and other squads that made it fun,  not always serious.  Never got bored with the action in of itself until found other 'stuff'  that AH provides.    I don't always take it too serious and plan on being in AH for a long awhile until the 'same' thing comes along but more realistic eye candy and my machine.  I have already more than the 2 years  in AH,   in fact I mix it up all the same as others.   But being 'wwii'   there is always an element of nostalgia,  otherwise I and others wouldn't be here.   WOuld be playing other mindless ground grunt  capture the flag games if I like ground grunting (but dont).   Flying  WWII planes,   participating in WWII scenarios,  is as close at it will come to be than inventing a time machine back to the 1940's.  

This isn't a real war, you got that right,   but it still is a 'war',  a  'combat (albiet a virtual one with limited brutality).   This is true no matter how anyone slices it.   People take from others,  kill others,  re up,  spawn camp, and vulche to 'upset' other people,  mess with their heads.   Force them away.    It's as close at it will come to being there for Aces High.    Games were invented so that people can 'pretend'  as silly as they want to.

So, applaud your online experience,  but others can 'pretend' as much or as little as they want.   Each getting what they want out of any game.   Unless you play  Mario Kart for no killing,  you'll find a majority of games that are battle simulations, killing objectives,  stealing objectives, objectives to win,  just like chess.  And..all 'games'  advance to the next level or reset a map/arena, have an end point.  Eventually move on to other games that have the same exact point in a different setting and perspective.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:56:14 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #430 on: April 01, 2011, 01:10:27 AM »
Not even close.  The only cost of this 'war' you speak of, is $14.95 a month.  There is no risk, no nothing, outside of the occasional divorce, or heart attack from sitting at the computer too long and not getting any exercise

There IS a risk but that has nothing to do with 'war'. Someone can really ruin their life over this game - and their childrens in the process too. Watch the hours folks.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #431 on: April 01, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
War is not supposed to be fun, a game is. Hence to try say one is the other, is an insult to both.

HiTech
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:16:01 PM by hitech »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #432 on: April 01, 2011, 04:16:14 PM »
Therefore we are a kinetic military simulator.

HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #433 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »
Do that again HiTech and I will have to slap a "Rule #14" violation on you.  Just saying....
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #434 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
I was at Warbirds for 6+ years with a squad and other squads that made it fun,  not always serious.  

What squadron were you with in WB? 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song