Author Topic: Maintaining SA  (Read 2032 times)

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
Maintaining SA
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
I have a very hard time keeping track of cons when maneuvering. Unlike in MA, there's no padlock in AvA, a feature wich I use intensively once I found my tgt. How do you guys manage?
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Maintaining SA
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
Practice and patience.  :D

Most guys will keep tabs via the radar...some may call it a crutch - so be it.  While in transit to the engagement area, know where your friendlies are, either via radar or vox or sight.  Once in the fight, do what you can to track 1 or 2 and expect to get shot down...a lot.  Don't get frustrated, and don't fall into the MA pit of name-calling and sweetheartbaggery.

It will take time to be able to have moderate SA, but you will find yourself starting to stay alive longer and longer, and landing kills.  :salute
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »
SA? is that why i die all the time? im supposed to look around? :D

i was one of the ones that started no icons and i still have trouble. if you have a decent joystick, set you 8-way hat to views, and use that alot when you're fighting. thats how i keep track of them, for what its worth. and when the camo paint job meshes with the background well, well then im screwed, so dont feel bad! you're in good company!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
I have a very hard time keeping track of cons when maneuvering. Unlike in MA, there's no padlock in AvA, a feature wich I use intensively once I found my tgt. How do you guys manage?

You are flying in the most difficult arena. Congrats to you!

We  don't have padlock much here.  Work on your hat button controls

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »
situational awareness is easy for me...always someone on my 6 and when i try to get away i end up parking my plane in the trees...  :joystick:  situation, in the tower.  :banana:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 07:31:23 AM »

patience. once you get accustomed to it, it's not that hard.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
the padlock in MA is complete crap, and a hinderance :aok

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
Actually, if you spend some time setting padlock up, and mapping proper keys where you can quickly switch between padlock and hatswitch view it is wonderful, especially in cases where there are a limited number of enemies, (like AvA).  I think padlock is linked to Icons, not the actual enemy plane.  Thus when Icons are removed, so is padlock.  Don't know why this is.

IMO padlock is much more realistic than using the goofy hatswitch. I typically loose the con when I switch between views on my hat. Ideally, TrackIR is the way to go.

Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:22 AM »
Actually, if you spend some time setting padlock up, and mapping proper keys where you can quickly switch between padlock and hatswitch view it is wonderful, especially in cases where there are a limited number of enemies, (like AvA).  I think padlock is linked to Icons, not the actual enemy plane.  Thus when Icons are removed, so is padlock.  Don't know why this is.

IMO padlock is much more realistic than using the goofy hatswitch. I typically loose the con when I switch between views on my hat. Ideally, TrackIR is the way to go.

speaking of trackir.........

i've had to retreat to the mw arena when using it. for now. i need that crutch of having icons turned on to allow myself time to get accust9omed to flying with it.
 my current hit % in mw is over 11%, which shows me 2 things. also.....i've never had a hit % that high before.
 1)flying with no icons helps your sa, and gunnery
 2)i have my trackir tweaked ok, so it is not my problem...i am my problem.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
Well I use padlock because it keeps the cons centered in my view. Quote from the falcon 4.0 manual : 'you can't fight what you don't see'. Now if you gentlemen would just stop moving for 10-15 seconds and let me aim that would help alot  ;)
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
before i used trackir, i found i could easily keep cons in my view using the 8 way hat switch. especially with those big red "shoot here" signs hovering overt em.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »
if i can get this face tracking software to work i can keep my eyeballs on caps 38 while i use my plane for squirrel hunting...can't hit anything with my guns so i use the entire plane.  :joystick:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
what i do, is to fly past em, and then throw big aluminum parts at em. if that doesn't work, i throw a spikey heel at em..... :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »
Well I use padlock because it keeps the cons centered in my view. Quote from the falcon 4.0 manual : 'you can't fight what you don't see'.

By the same token, you can't avoid what you don't know is there.  Target fixation is one of the leading causes of sudden returns to the tower.  :D

The view system here is pretty good, you might want to take a little time to see if you can get used to it.  In either case, it all boils down to patience and practice.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
By the same token, you can't avoid what you don't know is there.  Target fixation is one of the leading causes of sudden returns to the tower.  :D

The view system here is pretty good, you might want to take a little time to see if you can get used to it.  In either case, it all boils down to patience and practice.

know what's sad about the "target fixation part?  i've gotten to a point, when i'm getting multiple check 6 calls, and i acknowledge em....but i stay on my con. till i'm in the tower. dunno if anyone else does this or not........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"