Author Topic: Airforce, Marines or Army?  (Read 12681 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Airforce, Marines or Army?
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »
17 and a half, wanna serve so bad...but I'm not sure what I wanna do. for a while I  was thinking Army, but ive yet to hear much good about after your serve. it seems they offer the world and you dont get toejam. I havent really looked into the Air Force or Marines, but I'm lookin for some vets thoughts on which branch to do. thoughts?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Airforce, Marines or Army?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
personally, im going army. i wish to become an ah64D apache pilot. jobshadowing at fort knox made the decision for me. your 17, if you want call up a nearby army/navy/marine base, ask them if you could jobshadow someone, see what there daily duties are. wwhat they get to do. etc. and make your decision that way.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »
I'm not so much looking for the here and now while I serve. I'm lookin for the benefits / services after. If I lose my leg or arm or am paralyzed from the waist down (all which are very likely) I dont want to be left high and dry with little or no help that I was promised. I see what your sayin though.
HogDweeb

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
if you're contemplating marines..."all marines are riflemen first, everything else is gravy"...they are the redheaded step children of the dept of the navy...if you're wanting to serve, but not fight...go airforce, with the right m.o.s. you could have a lifetime career...navy would be about the same.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ahxarl.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »
Keep in mind the "after" you mention is DoD in general. No one branch or the other offers any special treatment beyond of the general DoD.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
if you're contemplating marines..."all marines are riflemen first, everything else is gravy"...they are the redheaded step children of the dept of the navy...if you're wanting to serve, but not fight...go airforce, with the right m.o.s. you could have a lifetime career...navy would be about the same.
i wanna fight. I know Hollywood glorifies everything, makes it look like nothing can go wrong, you go in and shoot some terrorists pack your stuff and go home. I know it aint that easy, but thats why I wanna do it. I want the challenge. the Challenge is something I can never get anywhere near me.

Keep in mind the "after" you mention is DoD in general. No one branch or the other offers any special treatment beyond of the general DoD.

DoD? aint heard the term before.
HogDweeb

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
In addition, regardless of branch, take advantage of everything you can get your hands on. Look at any assistance offered for outside courses and programs. Most of this stuff is hidden, and rarely offered up without prodding. If you end up with a decent career counselor, you'll be in  decent shape.

I can only speak of my experience in the Navy, and I wish I had done more with what was there.

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
Dept of Defense.

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
well what type of job are u looking for?

Im a Army Infantryman, if u got questions about 11B feel free to ask.
OEF 11-12

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
personally, i'd wanna fly shot gun in a black hawk with a sniper rifle  :rock
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
Like Selino said. Depends also if you can see yourself doing that job for 20+ years if need be. Im a helicopter mech.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
personally, i'd wanna fly shot gun in a black hawk with a sniper rifle  :rock

Just fyi, you ride in the cabin. Not shotgun.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
I know i'm kidding around  :lol
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
well what type of job are u looking for?

Im a Army Infantryman, if u got questions about 11B feel free to ask.
give me what you know. I'm really feelin infantry, if I do go about Army. send me a book in my PM's if you want to.
HogDweeb

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
17 and a half, wanna serve so bad...but I'm not sure what I wanna do. for a while I  was thinking Army, but ive yet to hear much good about after your serve. it seems they offer the world and you dont get toejam. I havent really looked into the Air Force or Marines, but I'm lookin for some vets thoughts on which branch to do. thoughts?

Have you considered the service academies?  I guess not because you must be a senior at your age and should've applied already.  However, if you are a junior you still have time to apply. 

Also west-point grads make on average 0k more after they leave the service then other academy grads so the army must do something right after you retire.
Curry1-Since Tour 101