Author Topic: Airforce, Marines or Army?  (Read 12729 times)

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Re: Airforce, Marines or Army?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
zoomies rule! Jarheads drool!

:neener:
  :bolt:

lol assuming you're talking about pilots?
That's why the Marine Corps has it's own air force ;)
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
If at all possible, go in as an officer.

The military has many standardized tests. Stick to your education, especially 'testmanship.' It will benefit you in every branch and every rank.

Be patient. The military has A LOT of silly rules.

Stay sharp.

Good luck.  :salute

Oh yeah, Marines have fancy uniforms . . . but AF guys get the girls. :bolt:
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »

Really?  My experience around the fairer service proved to me that we Marines never had to worry about dates as long as there was an Air Force base nearby...   :cheers:

Look, there are combat and non-combat MOSs in all 4 services, and all 4 services can be found risking their lives in some capacity in Afghanistan right now.  Air Force Security forces and EOD teams are pulling convoy/route security and looking for IEDs--Navy EOD doing the same.  That being said, if you want to enlist, be challenged, and kill people and break their stuff, you have a better chance of finding that in a combat arms MOS in the Army or Marine Corps.

Don't worry about college benefits, or VA benefits, or joining the VFW.  You've got to finish up at least one hitch before you can think about any of that and all are poor motivations for joining a job where you can get killed in a blink of an eye.  You join because you want to serve, because you believe in putting your fellow citizens before yourself. 

VA benefits aren't going to get you through a week where you're getting shot at constantly, watching your buddies get evac'd out, and getting no sleep.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Stoney
Formerly, Captain, USMC
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
Stoney has it right.

With the new "Post 9-11" G.I. Bill, you have to go through 4 combat deployments in order to get 100% of your GI bill.
If you don't deploy, you'll only get about 300 bucks a month and ZERO tuition assistance.
That goes for EVERY branch.

Yeahhh...you've never been the the USMC ball AFTER the ceremony when all the Marines are in town in their dress blues. ;)
Free drinks, the women come easy because it's the sexiest uniform in the world, and well....you've got a set night.  :devil
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
If you are really good at math and score well on your ASVAB, I'd go Navy. The Nuke program will pay you gold, you get hazardous duty pay virtually right off the bat, you are immediately an E3, and when you finish school you will be an E5.. meaning tenure. You are now an E5 without even leaving school, and school you get pampered along with the studying (there's alot of that). Plus, you can have a Bachelors in Nuclear Physics within 6mo of school completion. Also, you get to choose Sub or Carrier. Carriers are awesome because you're in the belly of the CV, and the rest of the 30 or so tenders sole duty in life is to protect your CV. So here you are, on the ocean, with massive bulk to begin with, shielded by a multitude of others and aircraft while making your own personal hot water and having a good time about it. (it has some hard spots, but it's awesome). If you do really well, they will also offer you Officer School.

Navy sees more of the world as well. Ports are awesome for the leave etc etc. If you want a sub, go boomer, you'll most likely never see combat but have to sleep between the worlds second largest nuclear arsenal. You can plan a life, it's always a 3 on 3 off deployment. Meaning you can plan you children's births so you are home!

Oh, the signing bonuses... I'm not sure what they are giving now for Nuke's, but when I was in, it was about $100k for signing. (most was schooling, rest was cash). I know they still pay well though, Nukes are hard to get through school. It's like a 6-8yr college education in less than 18 months so they need to get people signed up to compensate for a 75% drop out rate (that's before the fail outs). Bad side is if you don't make it, you are immediately a submariner.

Good luck on your choice, I have friends and family in every Branch. They all suit different types. If you do choose Navy, don't do boot in the summer or winter. Great Mistakes is hell during those seasons.

Marines get the most women of all the branches.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »
eagl, dropping ordnance with laser guided accuracy from 20,000 feet is not fighting...and when a pilot needs to be rescued, it's the marines, army or navy that goes in...on the ground.

with the exception of the airforce special operations command, the airforce does not train ground troops in advanced infantry combat...they get a medal for just being able to fire a weapon down range, hitting the target is optional.

:rofl
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
Really?  My experience around the fairer service proved to me that we Marines never had to worry about dates as long as there was an Air Force base nearby...   :cheers:

Look, there are combat and non-combat MOSs in all 4 services, and all 4 services can be found risking their lives in some capacity in Afghanistan right now.  Air Force Security forces and EOD teams are pulling convoy/route security and looking for IEDs--Navy EOD doing the same.  That being said, if you want to enlist, be challenged, and kill people and break their stuff, you have a better chance of finding that in a combat arms MOS in the Army or Marine Corps.

Don't worry about college benefits, or VA benefits, or joining the VFW.  You've got to finish up at least one hitch before you can think about any of that and all are poor motivations for joining a job where you can get killed in a blink of an eye.  You join because you want to serve, because you believe in putting your fellow citizens before yourself. 

VA benefits aren't going to get you through a week where you're getting shot at constantly, watching your buddies get evac'd out, and getting no sleep.

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Stoney
Formerly, Captain, USMC

^^^

This

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
The Nuke program will pay you gold, you get hazardous duty pay virtually right off the bat, you are immediately an E3, and when you finish school you will be an E5.. meaning tenure. You are now an E5 without even leaving school, and school you get pampered along with the studying (there's alot of that). Plus, you can have a Bachelors in Nuclear Physics within 6mo of school completion.

. . .

Oh, the signing bonuses... I'm not sure what they are giving now for Nuke's, but when I was in, it was about $100k for signing. (most was schooling, rest was cash). I know they still pay well though, Nukes are hard to get through school. It's like a 6-8yr college education in less than 18 months so they need to get people signed up to compensate for a 75% drop out rate (that's before the fail outs). Bad side is if you don't make it, you are immediately a submariner.

. . .

Marines get the most women of all the branches.
I was wondering why the OP left out the Navy. I currently work with the commercial nuclear industry. It is a Navy vet club. It is not a matter of if the guy served, but on what ship?

:salute to the Marines for being good sports on my shameless troll about how studly AF guys are. 

Good luck on your choice, I have friends and family in every Branch. They all suit different types.
Stoney being a Captain, USMC got me thinking about the differences.  I was a Captain, USAF. 75% of the flight I commanded were officers. With the exception of Marine Aviation, the USMC (and Army and Navy) officer/enlisted ratio has got to be the inverse.

When asking around, as you can see in this thread, there is a lot of interservice rivalry to filter out. All branches have cultures and traditions, some good, some bad. Which ever you choose, it will stick with you for the rest of your life. The bottom line is that all take the oath to uphold and defend the Constitution.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
:salute to the Marines for being good sports on my shameless troll about how studly AF guys are. 
we all kid each other...it's all good...inter-service rivaly comes from having pride in what you do.   :salute

i was always amazed that i didn't see a lot of fat bodies in the airforce...the base chow halls were better than some civilian restaurants...  :D  and the px had stuff you couldn't find anywhere else, for cheap.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »
Out of those three, I'd go with the one that is part of the Dept. of the Navy. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline KayBayRay

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
Just my thoughts and not meant to offend anybody....  :cool:

If you are looking for a Handout from Military service... Join the Coast Guard.

If you are looking to be among the most dedicated, motivated and self reliant people ever on the planet. If you want to get a serious CranialRectEctomy and learn how to get anything done and deal with anything that you might ever encounter in life. If you want be something other than one of the Boyz on Da Block jus Dittyboppin around... then I would highly recommend either the Marines or Airborne. Not gona find too many Sickbay Commando's there and Dont Ask Dont Tell and just flat Dont Care about your Personal Issues is the Order of the Day.

Two Tours, III MAF, 1st Brigade, 3rd Marines,

KayBay   :cool:
See ya in the Sky !!

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
Out of those three, I'd go with the one that is part of the Dept. of the Navy. 

The men's department...

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
Don't just settle being infantry in any service or the general ground pounder.  If your into that type of thing get something out of it by challenging yourself in the SPECWAR community. Each service/branch has special fields in the operator and support roles, you wont be disappointed in that choice of serving and the satisfaction of being involved with missions and operations no matter what role you participate in cannot be measured with words.  
The Navy has SEALS, SWCC, RIVRON, and many other support elements within these specail units, The Marines have MARSOC and several other special support roles as well.  The Army has SPECWAR units as well as air support units and other support elements.

I have spent 10 of the best years of my career in one such unit, wouldn't trade that experience for nothing.  Trust me if you can get into that area you will never want to look back.  Good luck.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
Stoney has it right.

With the new "Post 9-11" G.I. Bill, you have to go through 4 combat deployments in order to get 100% of your GI bill.
If you don't deploy, you'll only get about 300 bucks a month and ZERO tuition assistance.
That goes for EVERY branch.

Where did you hear this BS from?  This is not true.  Get your facts straight Marine.  Ask the Chief, not a Captain for Christ sakes.  :neener:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:55:09 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
eagl, dropping ordnance with laser guided accuracy from 20,000 feet is not fighting...and when a pilot needs to be rescued, it's the marines, army or navy that goes in...on the ground.

with the exception of the airforce special operations command, the airforce does not train ground troops in advanced infantry combat...they get a medal for just being able to fire a weapon down range, hitting the target is optional.

I heard about these guys called Air Force PJs I kind of recall that they may do something like rescue shot down pilots but I don't know maybe they are just made up?
Curry1-Since Tour 101