Author Topic: sdk rocket question.  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
sdk rocket question.
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:19 AM »
hey guys, can anyone give me some useful information when it comes to judging distance with the 2 rocket options on the german transport gv?

been trying to use these, but i can never get the distance to target right  :(

ty for the responces <S>

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: sdk rocket question.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
There aren't any easy ways.  23deg range is ~975y, 45deg is ~2200y. The MG rounds disappear after 1.5K.  Easiest way is to go offline and find some landmark from a given range - you can range it either firing the 251's rockets or with a tank turret's sight.   In practice without any prior recon work, if you've got a friend in a tank, he can range for you.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/SdKfz_251
The VBase layout is outdated but otherwise everything else should still be correct.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
The best way to to use those little black and white sections on the guide rods mounted on the grill.  You will need to practice and practice. 

Since HTC updated the damage of those rockets, I have not seen many players use them.  Too bad, really.  Im not exactly sure how the splash damage has been effected if at all, but the new damage is 280 lbs worth (up from 234 lbs).  It takes 312 lbs to take down the basic OBJ (building, ammo bunkers, fuel tanks, barracks, radar, factory, etc).
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
The best way to to use those little black and white sections on the guide rods mounted on the grill.  You will need to practice and practice. 

Since HTC updated the damage of those rockets, I have not seen many players use them.  Too bad, really.  Im not exactly sure how the splash damage has been effected if at all, but the new damage is 280 lbs worth (up from 234 lbs).  It takes 312 lbs to take down the basic OBJ (building, ammo bunkers, fuel tanks, barracks, radar, factory, etc).
They work well at the towns just need to make sure to shoot well down the street or you will kill shoot your self.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
Obviously, by the numerous enthusiastic responses to this thread, there are loads of people using the SdKfz 251 and the 28cm rockets.  :D

I still think that 280 lbs of damage is too little.  The amount of devastation these 28cm rockets caused should be reflected, just the amount of TNT in the warheads alone vs all other things worth of comparison in AH should give these things the ability to knock down the typical OBJ in 1 shot. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »
They suck for anything other than taking town bldgs down & not very good at that.  :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:49:18 AM »
They suck for anything other than taking town bldgs down & not very good at that.  :salute

I know this is a silly question but I have to ask.

Other than take down buildings, what do you do with them?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »
Its a little known secret exactly on how to kill tanks with them but it is possible. Its also possible to hit as many as eight resupply vehicles (trucks or boats) with a single rocket so if you see someone has a high hit percentage with vehicles against damage type objects you know who to ask on where to go.   :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »
I know this is a silly question but I have to ask.

Other than take down buildings, what do you do with them?

Well you could kill hangars, ack, ord, fuel, dar, etc....
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
anyone know how they ranged them IRL?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:46:49 AM »

Their not very good at those tasks, simply because getting any good with them would be very time consuming IMO, and still it's not a lot of rockets. In towns the center near Map Rm is tightly packed and missing is difficult. Hangers would require one to be dangerously close to ak.  :airplane:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:40:18 AM »
anyone know how they ranged them IRL?
Taking a wild guess here:
Given the required range they had a simple conversion graph of elevation angle to range. At the time there were several optical instruments for measuring rages up to distances at which objects were well resolved with simple optics. These were basically two periscopes, one for each eye. The user changes the parallax angle between the two till the two images he sees overlap. The distance is then calculated from the parallax angle.

Accuracy was not very important. This is an area suppression weapon.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

buildings, except ack. Not a building.

:D

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
I've got a film of me hitting/killing JB21's panzer at max range (using 45 degree angle) with the 251's rockets.  I'll dig it up and see was his distance he was from me to help pinpoint the range.  One of the top 3 luckiest shots I've ever had in-game.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
They're excellent for shore batteries.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you