Author Topic: New(ish) Build....Any advice?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
New(ish) Build....Any advice?
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
Windows Vista took a crapper in my best rig about six months ago and I have just gotten back to fixing it. I installed a new 600 watt Corsair PSU, nVidia 450 GTS, fresh Windows 7 and a new Seagate hard drive. I reused the processor (Anthlon x64 dual core), motherboard, cd drive, the good sticks of ram, and portable media center. Unfortunately I lost half my RAM (down to 2 gig) due to sitting 6 months apparently so I know that needs to be addressed.

Other than a antivirus and spyware program what are your suggestions for additional programs? I am using AVG and Windows Spyware but debating things like Microsoft Works.

Are there any tricks or tools that a slightly educated user might want to do or add that you recommend?

Tildeath, I would like to work with you on the RAM, can you send me a price for two 2 gig sticks and two 1 gig sticks?

That would put me at 4 or 6 gig total depending...

Thanks for the advice gents!

Regards,
Strip

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: New(ish) Build....Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »
 :huh microsoft works? eeew...save the money and use open office instead...fully compatible with microsoft office 2007.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »
Yeah, I just downloaded open office and wont be messing with that "other" program!

:lol

Strip

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
don't forget to set your defaults to msoffice standards...otherwise you will be putting out oo files.  :D
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
you using avg and windows av?  that's two of the same, get rid of avg, window's been getting better reviews.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.