Author Topic: Colombian Air Force T-27 shoots down a GA aircraft carrying drugs  (Read 2064 times)

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
Re: Colombian Air Force T-27 shoots down a GA aircraft carrying drugs
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 02:55:59 AM »
Pod mounted fifties on that thing. That smuggler plane almost made it. I would not call it a failure you can see the t-27 get hits almost every pass he takes. That smuggler plane was robust.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 03:00:52 AM »
yeah 2x.50s ... think TBM vs Goon at treetop level. I'd need at least 5 cartoon passes.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
I am not comparing it to a game but to WWII. The reason I compare it to WWII is because you have two propeller driven aircraft using guns.
I see no reasons to pull Gs as the aircraft was flying straight & level, fear is not an acceptable excuse. And why would you be afraid of an aircraft that is unarmed. You mentioned that he never fired a shot in anger, what would anger have anything to do with it? You are assigned a mission, why would you be angry?

What makes you think I just fly sims? Certainly I never shot anyone down, but trust me I do a lot more than sims.

Now I need a face palm grapic. Okay Chuck Yeager.  :lol

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 06:35:34 AM »
Straight and level...? u watching the same vid i did?
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
Straight and level...? u watching the same vid i did?

Considering the number of people who did not see this 'straight and level', be sure, must be another video.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 07:24:26 AM »
Considering the number of people who did not see this 'straight and level', be sure, must be another video.

He is implying that another member of this board is blind and/or saw a different video.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
Shooting it down is a great way to discourage other pilots from being willing to fly drug flights.  I'm sure the aircraft was warned and instructed to maintain a certain flight profile.  When it refused someone in the chain of command ordered the pilot to shoot it down.  If that were an unidentified craft entering US airspace and refusing to follow instructions none of you would be whining that it was shot down instead of just letting it auger into a target of opportunity.  

Lets not paint the Colombian authorities with the 'bad guy' brush.  They've got a long way to go to get their country under control.  Putting a dent in the drug trade is a good start.  

Edit: the twin wasn't maneuvering?  :headscratch: looked like it was doing everything it could to make it to the border without complying with the instructions he had been given at treetop level and off radar.  Nicely done in my book.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:19:03 AM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
Apparently that drug runner never downloaded Murdr's barrel roll defense zip file.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/murdr/evarevall.zip

I realize that was a real human being but, my twisted cartoon bubble imagines that drug plane using a good reversal to avoid the BnZ attempts.  I would love to see THAT in a real video.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »
Apparently that drug runner never downloaded Murdr's barrel roll defense zip file.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/murdr/evarevall.zip

I realize that was a real human being but, my twisted cartoon bubble imagines that drug plane using a good reversal to avoid the BnZ attempts.  I would love to see THAT in a real video.

Still he would have had the chances of a lone goon vs a c202.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
Well I would not know, I'm not a cop and I don't spend much time with cops. But I assume shooting to kill an un-armed person would be a last resort.

They shoot to stop, not to kill. Yes the shots are taken for the center mass, but their not intended to kill. However, if it comes down to the Officer or the civilian, the Officer wont stop firing until they consider themselves safe and no long in danger.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
He is implying that another member of this board is blind and/or saw a different video.

No kidding. :x

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
Is carrying drugs really a good reason to kill someone? Especially if they are unarmed and not a threat to you.
Do you not think that if the guy can afford/steal a plane that he isn't a threat?
Ignorance = Bliss.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
I know but how hard is it to shoot down a non maneuvering aircraft? Personally I never tried but looking at the thousands of pilots from WWII this should be very easy. I can understand you can miss on the first pass, but 5 passes??  :O  :bhead

Did you ever think that the SOP was to disable the aircraft and not destroy it?  You are quick with your words and obviously short on thought in your analysis of the situation.  I'd be willing to bet the Colombian pilots are quite professional and are able to hold their own in most situations.  If they really wanted to destroy that aircraft that would have turned it into dust the first attack.  The T-27 pilot simply hung out on the dead 6 of the target and fired a few short burst on multiple setups (I hesitate to call them "passes").  Perhaps they were first trying to force the target down to land, disable it from flying further, etc, etc.

Remember, if you capture the plane, pilot, passengers, and cargo you can do more damage to the cartel's operation than if you simply destroyed/killed them.    
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
You watch too much TV.  Police officers are trained to shoot center mass to kill, not to disable.  Anytime a police officer fires his weapon he is shooting to kill the suspect because he believes that the target may kill him (the officer) or an innocent bystander.

False.

LEO's shoot to end the threat.  We do not shoot to kill.  Ever. 

End of story.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 10:36:25 AM »
another thing you have to think about probably the first time this guys really fired on someone under NODs pretty dam hard to judge distance normally, let alone at tree top level firing on some one.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE