Author Topic: Acer vs Dell laptops?  (Read 900 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Acer vs Dell laptops?
« on: March 20, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »
Are there any primary differences I should be aware of? My mother wants to buy 2x
laptops of the same type, but only trusts Dell.

Acer vs Dell. Who would win in a fight? Who would you go with? Why?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Acer vs Dell laptops?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
They're all the same when it comes down to it.
I'd go with Dell, just because I've never used anything else.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
it will come down to customer service...first line dell customer support is still outsourced to india for non-corporate customers...and their level of knowledge is based on a text based troubleshooting system...but the warranty options from dell direct are the big selling points...the inspiron series (business and home user class) is probably the most rugged, though not always the most reliable.

acer/gateway/emachines are built cheap...(gateway bought emachines, acer bought gateway)...top line acer is slightly better than the top line gateway but none are generally the type you would carry around if you're travelling a lot unless you have a good padded case...i say generally because it depends on the model...customer service is outsourced overseas and difficult to navigate.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
I like Dells because ya can get damn near ANY part for them from Dell's site (keyboards, for instance) Punch in your serial #, and you ALSO know exactly which drivers you need for which doo-hickey
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
Just keep in mind that both companies generally use the cheapest components they can find.

I'd spend a little extra and go with Asus or Toshiba or any "gaming computer" maker.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Just keep in mind that both companies generally use the cheapest components they can find.

I'd spend a little extra and go with Asus or Toshiba or any "gaming computer" maker.
:rofl  do you honestly believe asus and toshiba don't use the cheapest components they can find? let me show you this yugo i have for sale...
jarhed  

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:16:01 PM »
They use what's economical for them but they do have better standards when it comes to quality.  I expect either brand I mentioned to have a lower failure rate than any nationally advertised brand of computer.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
I've had a bad history with Dell desktops, so I tended to stay away from them overall.  They could be better now, though.

I have a little Acer 11.5" notebook, and I'm lovin' it.  Build quality and components are great.

Although, I have an issue with losing the rubber feet on ALL of my laptops, be it HP, Acer, or Toshiba...  This one was no different.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
They use what's economical for them but they do have better standards when it comes to quality.  I expect either brand I mentioned to have a lower failure rate than any nationally advertised brand of computer.
Like I said, when it comes down to it, it's all the same.

Why do you consider Asus and Toshiba computers more suited for gaming than a Dell?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
/thread

Ended up getting a decent pair of Toshiba laptops for a semi-decent price.
Thanks for the input all!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
I'm not saying that Acer, Dell, HP etc... are bad computers.
I'm saying that in my opinion formed through my experiences, certain brands have worked great for me while others just seemed to need things replaced more often than I would have liked.

Hope the Toshibas work out nice for you, they seem to run about a thousand less than comparable Asus models.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:53:41 PM by Rob52240 »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
I'm not saying that Acer, Dell, HP etc... are bad computers.

I know many that would argue the point about Acer.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Fender16

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
ASUS Actually uses ASUS motherboards in their laptops IIRC. Not some cheap "Made in China" company who's name I can't even pronounce. Everything else is either gonna be Intel/AMD, ATI/NVIDIA. Everything else is included on the motherboard.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »
ASUS Actually uses ASUS motherboards in their laptops IIRC. Not some cheap "Made in China" company who's name I can't even pronounce. Everything else is either gonna be Intel/AMD, ATI/NVIDIA. Everything else is included on the motherboard.
lol...ok...so the "made in china" stamp on the motherboard is just for decoration?
jarhed  

Offline Fender16

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Precisely.  :rolleyes: