Author Topic: Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit  (Read 823 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:52:44 AM »
  I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, from Vista.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the Pros & Cons of both 32 & 64-bit.  I'm still quite confused though.  It appears that 64-bit is the future, from what I can gather, but needs more memory to really shine.  Where 32-bit seems to outperform 64-bit when using 2gb of RAM or less.
  I guess I'm wondering how AHII will run using 64-bit.  I've read on the these forums that for some it's great, but others say it's worse.
I'll be getting the OEM version, so I will be stuck with one or the other.

Thanks for any input.
Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
64 bit Windows 7 seems to be a big crap shoot.  Some people have no problems with it, while others have nothing but problems with it.  I know I cannot get it stable on our test box here.

While the 32 bit version seems to pretty stable across the board.

If you buy the retail version of Windows 7, and not the OEM version, you do not have to pick as the retail version comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the operating system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
 I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, from Vista.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the Pros & Cons of both 32 & 64-bit.  I'm still quite confused though.  It appears that 64-bit is the future, from what I can gather, but needs more memory to really shine.  Where 32-bit seems to outperform 64-bit when using 2gb of RAM or less.
  I guess I'm wondering how AHII will run using 64-bit.  I've read on the these forums that for some it's great, but others say it's worse.
I'll be getting the OEM version, so I will be stuck with one or the other.

Thanks for any input.
Coogan

For AH2 it makes no difference if you run 32 or 64-bit OS. Well actually it will but you won't get any benefit from 64-bits. AH will run on WOW (Windows on Windows) on 64-bit OS meaning it's still the same old 32-bit application in make-believe 32-bit environment.

If you have not run into serious problems or out of memory on your current Vista and don't need a special 64-bit application (handful even exist) then stick with Vista untill you'll get another computer.

edit: Skuzzman beat me to it
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »
64 bit Windows 7 seems to be a big crap shoot.  Some people have no problems with it, while others have nothing but problems with it.  I know I cannot get it stable on our test box here.

While the 32 bit version seems to pretty stable across the board.

If you buy the retail version of Windows 7, and not the OEM version, you do not have to pick as the retail version comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the operating system.

I've been pondering the thought of getting retail version.  (or OEM and a new HDD)

For AH2 it makes no difference if you run 32 or 64-bit OS. Well actually it will but you won't get any benefit from 64-bits. AH will run on WOW (Windows on Windows) on 64-bit OS meaning it's still the same old 32-bit application in make-believe 32-bit environment.

If you have not run into serious problems or out of memory on your current Vista and don't need a special 64-bit application (handful even exist) then stick with Vista untill you'll get another computer.

I was reading someplace lastnight that if 64-bit has to emulate 32-bit for a particular application, that it loses 2% of performance.  I don't need it to do that.  I'm running AHII just about where I like it.  Smooth and just enough Pretty.
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
I have no problems with Win7 64bit unless I'm in Aces High. Even then, all the problems are confined to 2 maps; Mindano and the Philippine scenario map.

Ideally, if you have a system with a lot of memory, I would suggest a dual boot. Use the 32 bit for older games and Aces High and 64 bit for all the newer games.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »
i'm running the enterprise version of win7 64bit...haven't had any real issues with anything that i run...disabled or set to manual all services that are not essential to running the system...ownership rights on files and directories can be a pita but...not a single bsod.

for ah it's installed to the root of c and i made sure that my local account has full ownership and modification rights...occasionally get "aces high has stopped working" if i alt+tab too much.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
My point was - and I stress - that the OP has no sense to 'upgrade' to windows 7 if his current Vista setup works for him. Chances are he'll run into trouble instead of gaining anything.

Win7 won't perform miracles on the same hardware.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
granted, if he does the "upgrade" path, there could be problems...but wiping the drive then fresh install there wouldn't be.

the only problems with vista are similar to windows me...it was a poor implementation on a good idea...if you have a choice and can afford to buy the retail version of win7, it would not be a bad decision.
jarhed  

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »
I installed 64 bit window 7 professional SP1 this weekend and haven't noticed any issues. 

I used Starcraft II, Company of Heros, and Aces High II..

However I did buy the retail version that comes with both 32bit and 64bit disks.  If 64bit gives me any problems I'll remove it and go with the 32bit version.

The only annoying thing i've noticed with windows 7 is the UAC. 

Don't know if I want to turn it off though...

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
You can dial UAC back a touch Soda - not a good idea to turn it off completely (but ymmv)

Wurzel (got mine set to only come up if a programme wants to change something on the HD)
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
granted, if he does the "upgrade" path, there could be problems...but wiping the drive then fresh install there wouldn't be.

Are you 100% sure the fresh install will go ok and he won't run into trouble setting the system up again? I've seen so many installations in my life that I would never ever recommend anyone to start to 'upgrade' or 'do a fresh install' on any system that does not absolutely need fixing. It's a recipe for unnecessary trouble.

What beneficial is windows 7 going to bring on the table compared to a fully setup and working Vista? Change in user interface mostly.

If the OP has actual problems with the box then by all means reinstall.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
My point was - and I stress - that the OP has no sense to 'upgrade' to windows 7 if his current Vista setup works for him. Chances are he'll run into trouble instead of gaining anything.

Win7 won't perform miracles on the same hardware.

As compared to Vista? I'm thinking it just might feel like a miracle. My mother and 3 of my sisters got new laptops a couple years back. New ones, fast CPUs, 2GB of RAM, decent video (for a laptop) large screen. After a few weeks of stumbling through Vista they begged me to put XP back on. Luckily the laptops came packaged with a Xp and a Vista restore disc.

Let's just say I trimmed the fat for a while, I played around for a while, but nobody in my family has yet liked any part of Vista. Given that 99% of the world agrees, and that Bill Gates himself was even quoted as saying Vista was a bad idea, I'd think getting to Win7, even if no performance boost is a step up in reliability and user friendliness.

That said, you gotta weigh your checkbook and see if it's worth the hefty hefty cost. I can't believe Gates is charging so much these days!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »
Are you 100% sure the fresh install will go ok and he won't run into trouble setting the system up again? I've seen so many installations in my life that I would never ever recommend anyone to start to 'upgrade' or 'do a fresh install' on any system that does not absolutely need fixing. It's a recipe for unnecessary trouble.

What beneficial is windows 7 going to bring on the table compared to a fully setup and working Vista? Change in user interface mostly.

If the OP has actual problems with the box then by all means reinstall.
oh  :rolleyes: we're not going to get into this again are we?...i'm more sure of a fresh win7 install than i am of an old vista install...if the system will run vista it will run more stable with win7.

you have any systems running vista? i skipped vista...for the same reasons i skipped windows me...it wasn't working at my employer regardless of how many hours i spent at work trying to make it work on various hardware platforms...if you're that confident of windows vista, by all means knock yourself out and run it...i know better.

i've been through every microsoft windows fiasco since windows 3.1...from beta testing to licensed retail...vista was/is a stinker.
jarhed  

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
The bad rep Vista got was due to the change in driver model and subsequent troubles with a bunch of device drivers.

By the time 7 was released the drivers were matured and also Vista was stable but nobody cared anymore. Damage was done.

The point is: IF the OP has no actual problems with his Vista he has no sense to start installing Win7. It won't bring anything that beneficial to warrant the cost.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
oh  :rolleyes: we're not going to get into this again are we?...i'm more sure of a fresh win7 install than i am of an old vista install...if the system will run vista it will run more stable with win7.

you have any systems running vista? i skipped vista...for the same reasons i skipped windows me...it wasn't working at my employer regardless of how many hours i spent at work trying to make it work on various hardware platforms...if you're that confident of windows vista, by all means knock yourself out and run it...i know better.

i've been through every microsoft windows fiasco since windows 3.1...from beta testing to licensed retail...vista was/is a stinker.

Is the OP currently running AH on his oh so bad Vista and did he complain about having trouble with it? If yes, install 7. If not, no reason to touch it at all. Simple as that.

The OP has read somewhere about the pros and cons of going 64-bit and is now thinking to pay money and reinstall. I would never suggest anyone to do that on such basis. Well, unless I owned MS stocks and wanted to grow my returns.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:34:24 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »