Author Topic: I LOVE the P-47M  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
Re: I LOVE the P-47M
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
I blame the spitfire!!! Stupid rounded-tips fetish!!!

:neener:

Oh, rounded-tips fetish. Misread it the first time.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
47M not much better than the N. It's about 5mph faster if I recall, and unless you put 100% internal in the 47N it's going to handle about the same at any alt. They have the exact same engine. N had a larger wing but a bit more empty weight. Overall these 2 jugs are very similar.
oops

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:04:52 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
47M not much better than the N. It's about 5mph faster if I recall, and unless you put 100% internal in the 47N it's going to handle about the same at any alt. They have the exact same engine. N had a larger wing but a bit more empty weight. Overall these 2 jugs are very similar.

oops

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:05:12 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »

Well I will say this about your assesment--> Me in the "N"aughty JUG will PWN me in the "M"onster JUG CO-ALT CO-E and probably any other flight parameters  ;)

Just saying  :aok

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:06:01 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
what are ya trying to tell us JUG  :headscratch:     :rofl
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
what are ya trying to tell us JUG  :headscratch:     :rofl
lol...that he doesn't understand the idea that hitting the elevator button more than once won't make it go faster...or hitting the post button more than once when the forums are obviously having lag issues will register multiple posts...  :rofl  :lol  :rofl  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
WOW  it wouldn't post so I hit enter a couple times, and rewrote it a couple  weird  :( sorry   :bolt:

DOH!
   :old:

JUGgler

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:07:17 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »
Me in the "N"aughty JUG will PWN me in the "M"onster JUG CO-ALT CO-E

Just saying  :aok

Not disagreeing. Just pointing out how similar the rides are. When folks gush over the M they often overlook the also-nice N.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Not disagreeing. Just pointing out how similar the rides are. When folks gush over the M they often overlook the also-nice N.

OTOH, the difference in speed on MIL power is more pronounced than the difference on WEP

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
You are just discovering the tip of the iceberg. But trust me, you ain't getting the hang of the Jug if you fly it above 25k because it excels there as much as the Ta-152 and maybe the Spit14. Fly it at 5k-10k and furball/BnZ with it then come back here  :aok

This plane is my second skin in this game so its not a bad bird. Juggler will tell you the same.
(Image removed from quote.)

Good plane  :aok
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »
OTOH, the difference in speed on MIL power is more pronounced than the difference on WEP

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm thinking again that weight is the problem. With 1000lbs extra weight you'll have to fly at slightly higher AoA creating a bit of drag.

If you'll notice those charts have the D40 outclimbing the 47N by a long mile, too. However that's with full internal fuel. You load the 47N with similar weight and it outclimbs the D40 noticably. I made a chart a long time back (long since lost) to illustrate that.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »

I agree!

With the "prefered" B&Z method of most MJUG flyers I'm suprised more of them don't fly the N for B&Z as it retains far more energy for the "skirt lift scramble back up the "timid ladder" to their perch!:)

JUGgler

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
I know my squaddies who only occasionally fly jugs like the sustained climbrate of the -M over the -N.  That's the attracting factor.

I like the D-11 personally, good perk farmer for me and for the way I fly it, the performance the higher models give has a negligible impact on my success.  If I die in the D-11, I'dve died in an -M or -N.  The only perk the higher models give me is getting to alt a bit faster.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
ive been flying it for the past few days and today ive really gotten the hang of it.Its so fun to put 50% fuel and all DTs,climb to 25k and circle,just looking for a poor ol' bomber to come in under me.ive gotten at least 150 kills today alone.

does anyone else enjoy this plane as much as me?

sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Oh yeah, I call Shenanigans.  :lol

edit: Just checked the plane stats for tour 134.  The most kills anyone has in the P-47M is 101.
Are you sure that 0 at the end of 150 is supposed to be there?   :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:10:01 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
the P47D-11. is the sexiest of the jugs line.

I cant stand having the right side of my face up against the canopy while looking through the gun sight. Otherwise, it is highly under-rated, it can maneuver with the P51D anytime.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.