Author Topic: HT I have a better way for arena transitions.  (Read 2501 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: HT I have a better way for arena transitions.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
You're missing my point.

The solution to your "problem" is within your own hands to fix but apparently each individual in the group is unwilling to do so.

The idea being presented is you forcibly move people. Wasn't there an "accept/decline" box? Why would anyone accept?

The means to fly with your squad are available in game now. It's up to the squad to all get together.

The next question has to be, what is more important, where you fly or with whom do you fly?

Life is hard sometimes. It requires thinking for one's self and making decisions.

But, whining is so much easier.

wrongway
:rofl   :lol  good one wrongway
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
I think what people are trying to say is that this would be way to hard to code NOT TRUE.

We went to the moon with computers equal to an old cellphone HT could easily code this duh!
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
I think what people are trying to say is that this would be way to hard to code NOT TRUE.

We went to the moon with computers equal to an old cellphone HT could easily code this duh!

I think you're mistaking 'Too hard to code' with 'not an improvement, and DEFINITELY not enough of an improvement to justify being worthwhile to code'.  I'd be against it if Hitech could rub his butt against the monitor and make it so overnight.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
I think you're mistaking 'Too hard to code' with 'not an improvement, and DEFINITELY not enough of an improvement to justify being worthwhile to code'.  I'd be against it if Hitech could rub his butt against the monitor and make it so overnight.

Wiley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm  :aok
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
Apologies, Curry.  Missed it on the first pass.  :D

Wiley.

JG11

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm  :aok

Don't use wiki as a primary source. Somebody probably messed with the entry.

:banana:  :bolt:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
You're missing my point.

The solution to your "problem" is within your own hands to fix but apparently each individual in the group is unwilling to do so.

The idea being presented is you forcibly move people. Wasn't there an "accept/decline" box? Why would anyone accept?

The means to fly with your squad are available in game now. It's up to the squad to all get together.

The next question has to be, what is more important, where you fly or with whom do you fly?

Life is hard sometimes. It requires thinking for one's self and making decisions.

But, whining is so much easier.

wrongway

Your arrogance has no limits. Have you read anything so far? The split is going to be transparent the players won't even realize it happened since it would look like a big warp on player front end, nothing more.

And what goes for the whole squad moving to the smaller server that has no real fight going on and that will take 30 minutes to an hour to get going properly, YOU get there with your squad if that's your cup of tea. I paid my sub to play with a reasonably sized arena full of action.

Life must be hard for you being blinded by your prejudice and obnoxious attitude.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:50 AM »
'Astronomical'?  Hardly, Ripley.  Ok, it doesn't even have to be all squaddies.  Say 10 of them are individuals.  What's preventing all 10 of them from being moved to the second arena?  Answer?  'It's unlikely'.  Go to any system designer anywhere, Ripley.  Find out how far 'Oh, that's unlikely to happen' gets with them.  If it can happen, it has to be accounted for.

I'm not going to bother answering you anymore after this since you don't get it and nothing can't help it.

Your every horror example required a 100% of players to move away locally. It will be highly unlikely while possible with 50% move. Even if it does happen it will be meaningless since it happens so rarely.

Now, stressing again (sigh) that this is going to be once a day event that will most likely abort 1 FIGHT AT MAXIMUM for the individual player with plenty others going on around as opposed to having to end the whole game, log off, log back in, wait for the WHOLE ARENA populate again, START EVERY FIGHT from NOTHING again, a group of players being blocked from the side with action and stuck to a large map with a handful of other players...

Really, do you realize how dumb you sound when you cry about a single fight when all those other negative effects would be avoided?  :rofl

Do you even play at the time when LWOH gets closed? Do you even know a bloody thing about what you're talking about in general? I'm 100% you don't, you just bash the idea because you're afraid of change.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:23:32 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:34 AM »
I'm not going to bother answering you anymore after this since you don't get it and nothing can't help it.

Your every horror example required a 100% of players to move away locally. It will be highly unlikely while possible with 50% move. Even if it does happen it will be meaningless since it happens so rarely.

I am going to type this slowly so hopefully you will be able to understand it.

It doesn't require 100% to move away to kill the fight.  I was using a simplistic example so hopefully you could follow it.  Apparently it was lost on you.  My point is, if people see the majority of the planes disappear around them, it is NOT transparent, no matter how hard you insist it is.  It happens, and as we have seen over, and over, and over in this game, people have the mentality that the good fights are in Orange.  Those who are quick on the uptake will immediately move back over to Orange, because they 'know' those planes that disappeared around them are there.  New people logging in after that see more numbers in Orange, fewer in Blue.  They will log into Orange.  Blue's people will slowly realize numbers have dwindled, and will go to check out Orange.  The arena will reach critical mass, and split again.  There is nothing you have mentioned that stops people from heading back to the primary arena.  It doesn't matter that 'they have no reason to do so', because people switch back and forth between the two arenas for no good reason currently.  There is no reason to assume they won't continue to do so once your system is in place.

When the arena splits again, now it's even more noticable because it's happened twice in one evening.  The cycle will repeat again.

Now, stressing again (sigh) that this is going to be once a day event

Only if people do exactly as you demand, which they won't.

Really, do you realize how dumb you sound when you cry about a single fight when all those other negative effects would be avoided?  :rofl

*sigh*  I was using simple examples to illustrate why people might be motivated to move.  They might be motivated to move for any of a number of reasons, and there is 0 (zero) allowance for that in your plan.  It is a pointless waste of time, it would be far easier to just uncap both arenas, as the effect would be virtually the same.

Do you even play at the time when LWOH gets closed? Do you even know a bloody thing about what you're talking about in general? I'm 100% you don't, you just bash the idea because you're afraid of change.

Every weekend, buddy.   :aok  It's pretty evident I know a heckuva lot more about system design than you do.  Your entire system hinges on the assumption that people not turn around and log back into the original arena.  I'm sorry that you can't see how ludicrous that is.

You have shown precisely nothing other than blind optimism that people will do exactly what you want to make this system work, and that is deeply flawed thinking.  I was done with you about 3 posts ago, but just when I thought I was out, you pulled me back in.  Toodles.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
oki doki then....

Recap:

Would you move to a different arena if a squad member asked?

<crickets>

If asked by "the system" will you switch to a new arena? Accept/Decline?

<crickets>

What is more important, the fight you are currently involved in or flying with a lone squad mate in another arena?

<crickets>

One final question. It will never be you who is poofed into another arena, will it?

I'll expect more <crickets>

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Current system:

Whole arena shuts down, everyone has to land their flights, log off, log back on again, arena has to fill up again from zero (15-30 min process), fights will have to start all over again from zero, smaller server is severely gimped after cap gets filled

Proposed system:

Playrbase on server will split, nobody has to land their flights or log off or back again, arena is already filled to optimum, no flights will need to be respawned and there will be no smaller server that lacks fights afterwards.

Now since you possibly can't be thick enough to not see the benefit of the proposed system I'm taking that your only responding because you're trolling.

Oh and btw quit those ridiculously desperate throws like 'my system can't tolerate any player moving' when it takes exactly 200 players to move or join before there's need for a new split.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:25:11 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »
*clapped his hands over his ears and screamed "NO NO NO NO NO!!!!"*

Good for you, Ripley.  :aok

One final thing, riddle me this-  What is the material difference between your system and two arenas with a static cap of 400 on each of them?

I'll even be nice and help you out here...  Other than the pointless and confusing transition system, nothing.  That would be the effective result, and the legion of reasons why 2 arenas with static caps won't work apply here, on top of the obvious flaws with the transition system.

This time, I'm really, really done wasting the bandwidth on this tripe.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »
Good for you, Ripley.  :aok

One final thing, riddle me this-  What is the material difference between your system and two arenas with a static cap of 400 on each of them?

I'll even be nice and help you out here...  Other than the pointless and confusing transition system, nothing.  That would be the effective result, and the legion of reasons why 2 arenas with static caps won't work apply here, on top of the obvious flaws with the transition system.

This time, I'm really, really done wasting the bandwidth on this tripe.

Wiley.

LOL I refuse to believe you're really so thick. But just in case let me repeat: When LWOH dies, around 30 minutes is wasted for nothing and squad members are locked out from the other side for extended periods untill the other side is refilled (which happens slowly as people just quit when the server gets shut).

I hope, for your sake, that you're only trolling.  :devil

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
MrRiply: I have 3 simple questions.

Is it optional to switch to the other arena under your system?

If it is not optional do you think people are going to be more pleased with being forced to switch vs having a choice?

If it is optional, why do you believe people will switch, when they will not choose a different arena now?

HiTech

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
MrRiply: I have 3 simple questions.

Is it optional to switch to the other arena under your system?

If it is not optional do you think people are going to be more pleased with being forced to switch vs having a choice?

If it is optional, why do you believe people will switch, when they will not choose a different arena now?

HiTech

First of all, thank you for addressing this discussion even though tempers have flared.

1) Switch would not be optional but automated and as transparent as possible in order to achieve the point in 2

2) People would not perceive they switched but some *others* did if their own 'world' continued as it was on in their point of view (achieved by porting the player to the running copy along others).

As players we do not have any knowledge which server, which port, which IP we play on outside of making the orange/blue choice during login - we can only observe the game 'world'. If the state of war remained, by players point of view all that really occurred was that a lot of players left the battle. This, then, will create a counter reaction from the defending side populating the same area again if too many players were transitioned locally and there's now a local power vacuum.

I'm making a leap of faith to say here that for majority of players the only other players whose presence matters for fluid gameplay are players that are squadmates. If no organized relation exists between players, it's likely a single player won't be missed. Enemies are anonymous as it is. Even if a player would want to switch to meet someone, by the virtue of now having two servers with 50% capacity, basically anyone who desires could move without causing much damage to anything. And because the split would be random, by average both sides would have equal amount of persons wanting to switch to either side, again balancing eachothers out.

3) As you said when given options, the customers make decisions which are detrimental to their and others gameplay (by overfilling maps as one example), that's why guidance is needed, which you already do in form of arena cap.

The whole point behind my idea was to achieve conditions where a total shutdown would not be necessary and the process would create two equally sized and active arenas 'on the fly' thereby negating the necessary time required to populate the new arena and most importantly, remove the inevitable near empty second arena that players will not voluntarily choose as long as it's low in numbers.

Now, I think I've made my case the best I can and if you say my idea is a bad one, this will be the last post about the subject, end of story.