Author Topic: P47's compasses  (Read 566 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
P47's compasses
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
P47D25's two compasses are off by 3-5 degrees in alignment...
switched to the P47M and both are in alignment and exactly the same direction...

which is correct? :headscratch:
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: P47's compasses
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:29:07 AM »
Spawn a P47D25 on the runway, check the heading it shows, then spawn another plane on the same runway and see what it shows.

I'm not sure if I can call it a bug, it sounds realistic. The compass if often off by a few degrees because of all the metal in the airplane. The other "compass" that you have is a heading indicator, you set that one manually (it's not magnetic, works on a gyroscope).
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »
Spawn a P47D25 on the runway, check the heading it shows, then spawn another plane on the same runway and see what it shows.

I'm not sure if I can call it a bug, it sounds realistic. The compass if often off by a few degrees because of all the metal in the airplane. The other "compass" that you have is a heading indicator, you set that one manually (it's not magnetic, works on a gyroscope).
understandable but if you notice the P47M isnt set like this. which is why i asked which is correct...
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:21:48 AM »
understandable but if you notice the P47M isnt set like this. which is why i asked which is correct...

This varies not only between different models, but between different serial numbers. Each aircraft will have a different magnetic divination.

I just check the D25 and it looks like the everyone matches  :headscratch:. BAR do you remember what heading was it on when they gave you a different reading? I tried N, W, S, and E they were all correct.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:21:07 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:09:13 AM »
Both compasses should agree in the game since the reason they differ ITRW doesnt apply in AH.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:28:58 AM »
This varies not only between different models, but between different serial numbers. Each aircraft will have a different magnetic divination.

I just check the D25 and it looks like the everyone matches  :headscratch:. BAR do you remember what heading was it on when they gave you a different reading? I tried N, W, S, and E they were all correct.
i believe it was approximately 240 degrees
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:33:51 AM »
Your right when your facing 240 it is off by a few degrees.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:11:36 AM »
This is a serious glitch with all the IFR conditions and complex navigation :lol

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »
This is a serious glitch with all the IFR conditions and complex navigation :lol

You mean you only fly VFR? What do you do in IMC?  :noid  :bolt:
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
The 20th flies partial IFR as we fly actual WWII tactics (a fighter group consists of multiple squadrons and one squadron includes two flights). This is why our Fighter Group in game has a maximum of 36 players (yes we'd have to make a second wing :( ) 4 pilots per flight, 8 per squadron, 24 total for the fighter group (55th FS, 77th FS (not related to the 77th FS "Gamblers" in game although using the same name), and 79th FS but because of it being a game and not IRL we add two back up positions to each flight to make a perfect 4 if someone is offline.

To coordinate between squadrons and flights in game and to create actual formations of 8/16/24 and corresponding flights of 4 we need bearings, climb rates, headings, etc to be exact for all pilots (even for the MA surprisingly and works wonders in the SEA events). This came up when my flight crossed paths with our squadron's second flight because one flight lead used the gryo and the other used the magnetic.

So honestly it may not seem like much to you seadog :lol but it means ALOT to us :aok
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:37:39 AM by 321BAR »
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »
you mean you guys don't have someone in your squad telling old war stories or yakkin about the cabinets his wife wants the whole time you're trying to communicate?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »

So honestly it may not seem like much to you seadog :lol but it means ALOT to us :aok

I'm just busting your chops 321BAR, much as in real life when flying cross country, I just use my gps aka AH clipboard map. Unless you are flying mixed D-25/M formations I shouldn't be a big problem. Good thing their are no friendly collisions, but you should rock, paper scissor for magnetic or gyro with the other flight lead.

I would rather have HTC spend the time to introduce some new P-47d11 skins than swinging their compasses a few degrees, though I imagine the are more inclined to fix your bug then heaven forbid swap out a skin in the next update.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
I would rather have HTC spend the time to introduce some new P-47d11 skins than swinging their compasses a few degrees, though I imagine the are more inclined to fix your bug then heaven forbid swap out a skin in the next update.
i gave up on skins a LONG time ago... :(

you mean you guys don't have someone in your squad telling old war stories or yakkin about the cabinets his wife wants the whole time you're trying to communicate?
depends on the day :lol
Happy Jack's Go Buggy