Author Topic: File Hosting  (Read 731 times)

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
File Hosting
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
Anybody know a good, truly free, file hosting website? I have tried a few and have been having problems. Mostly they want me to upgrade. The file is 218MB. Its a sound pack that I made and I would like to share it with my squad and maybe on the forums.
Thanks,
Shortbus
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: File Hosting
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »
get yourself a free dropbox account...2gb file storage...syncs with all your systems. there is a public folder by default that you can use to host files using the "public link" option when you right click the file.

very secure and no viruses unless you put them in the files yourself.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
Whats the maximum size for MediaFire ???

Lawnart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
I would be careful with Mediafire.  It is a repository for viruses and spyware.  Your own files could be infected and used to deliver those bad guys.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
get yourself a free dropbox account.
Thanks. A few years ago I used to use You Send It, but now it costs and its only good for two weeks. I found Filesend.net but everytime I try to load the file my browser looses connection with server.

I would be careful with Mediafire.  It is a repository for viruses and spyware.  Your own files could be infected and used to deliver those bad guys.
Thanks for that Skuzzy, I just spent $1500 on my dream computer to play AH again and sure dont need any of that on my computer.
If I wont to post my sound pack in the forums are you able to make it a sticky or can I? Also do you need to review the file first?
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
Does dropbox use there own server to host or my computer?
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
Does dropbox use there own server to host or my computer?
it's a client/server file hosting/synchronization system...you download the dropbox client...install it to your system...it creates a dropbox folder where ever you tell it to put the folder...i have mine on my spare drive so for me it's F:\dropbox\mydropbox...and i have several sub directories in that...you place the file in the folder you want it in, and if the dropbox client is running on your system it synchronizes all of your files with your storage space on dropboxes servers...

be very careful that you use a valid email address and a password that is complex but easy for you to remember...if you forget your password...there is no recovery...and you will have to create a new account.
jarhed  

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
Well I got the Drop Box. I read the directions and moved the file in to the public folder and selected share with everyone. I copied the link that was provided and posted it in the squad forum. The only problem now is that the link is no good. You can click on it to self navigate to the file.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
What about megaupload?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »

Really?  Thanks for the heads up, going to use a different file host now for my films.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »
you're using the "public" folder correct? it can't be shared...and i wouldn't share any folders with "everyone".

when you drop the file in the public folder...it has to sync the files between your system and dropbox...so the dropbox client has to be running and until the file has a green circle with a check mark in it, the file won't be accessible to anyone...takes a while to synchronize sometimes.

now, if you have the dropbox client running on your system...and you navigate to the public folder...find the file you placed in there and right click it...you should see a line that is labeled "dropbox"...hover your mouse cursor over that and you will see a dropdown menu to the right...you should see an option labeled "copy public link"...click on that, it will automatically create a url link for you to paste into wherever and turn it into an active link.
jarhed  

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
Maybe Im not getting to the "Drop Box" the right way. Let me recap, I used the Drop Box icon on my desktop, then I took the compressed folder and did the drag and drop to the "public" folder, then right click select "share with" the window came up and said my link was ready to share. So i clicked the part that said "copy and share" and the link is no good in the forums.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
ya you're doing it wrong...see my post above.
jarhed  

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
You sent a reply while I was typing. I must have been trying to copy link too soon. How long does it usually take. File is 218MB.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
SO to get started I click the DropBox icon on my desktop, then that shows me 2 files "photos", and "public" and the pdf directions. I drag and drop the zip file into that "public" folder? Or do use the "public" folder under my user files in firefox? For the record I have tried both and I dont see a blue, red or green circle.
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4