Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 15930 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
Tanking in AH requires way to much control input for just one person to operate and to be frank, it's a pain up the backside. I'm glad HTC are making it more "easy".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:34:38 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Pyro   How about a key to lock the guns' movement while the key's pressed, e.g. if you want to only look around for SA and keep the turret pointed at a target or aimed exactly to hit a distant target?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
Pyro   How about a key to lock the guns' movement while the key's pressed, e.g. if you want to only look around for SA and keep the turret pointed at a target or aimed exactly to hit a distant target?

That would be nice, but if it isn't offered it looks like you could look around from the machine gun cupola without traversing the turret.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
The view system is still live and sits on top of all this so you can still look around without moving the turret.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »
The view system is still live and sits on top of all this so you can still look around without moving the turret.

Excellent

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »

It looks terrific. :aok   But I have to admit that my slow brain got confused by this last post.  I thought in the commander position the gun funtions was slaved to the view system. But it sounds like theyare seperate. Yet there is a gun-barrel view. So when you're in teh commander position, do you toggle between view and commander-gun-control view, with the option to move to the gunsite for more acurate gun control?  If it a lengthy explanation, I can just wait til it comes out.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
It looks terrific. :aok   But I have to admit that my slow brain got confused by this last post.  I thought in the commander position the gun funtions was slaved to the view system. But it sounds like theyare seperate. Yet there is a gun-barrel view. So when you're in teh commander position, do you toggle between view and commander-gun-control view, with the option to move to the gunsite for more acurate gun control?  If it a lengthy explanation, I can just wait til it comes out.  :salute
it's shown in the video...watch it closely
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »
it's shown in the video...watch it closely

Is it? OK, I'll watch it again.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
I am curious about speed control, without manual trans. 

So, if I release the accelerator (W key) before I reach speed to change a gear, what is the response?  Steady speed?  Speed increases to the Max for that gear? or continues to grab speed and change gears? 

Also, have you tried the trans out on steep down hills?  Wondering how that all will work without the gearing (brakes) that we are accustomed to. 

These are really questions that can be answered when the model is actually here.  Mostly things that I hope are important to you all also. 

:salute Pyro, HTC Staff.... give yourselves a raise.... you can take it out of JunkyIIs bank account ( :uhoh he's gonna be out of the country for a bit, I know where he hid the keys )

;) JunkyII best wishes bro.  Hopefully, the advances in wireless will have you in touch with us over the next year.   :cheers: I hope that you and all your mates get back to us soon, after a little muscle is flexed of course  :D

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
Pyro, any chance we can map the throttling to our thottles with our joysticks? 
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
can u still put it in neutral?

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
I actually think the current system is artificially hard in many ways.  The new system I think will do a better job of representing crew operations than we currently have.  On top of that it sounds like it will speed up the development cycle on new GV's which is good thing. :)

I totally agree with everything you stated above.  I like the challenge of having to learn the in's and out's of our current system.  I'm not saying I disagree with the new changes, it just appears it will be a lot eaiser.  Not sure if that is good or bad, but as always I look forward to advancements in the game.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 03:12:04 PM »
I am curious about speed control, without manual trans. 

So, if I release the accelerator (W key) before I reach speed to change a gear, what is the response?  Steady speed?  Speed increases to the Max for that gear? or continues to grab speed and change gears? 

Also, have you tried the trans out on steep down hills?  Wondering how that all will work without the gearing (brakes) that we are accustomed to. 

first thing I thought of is, no more neutral downhill runs at 100+ mph  :cry

I can live without them tho.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Thanks Pyro.

Vinkman view and aiming are only different in that you now aim with either joystick or mouse.  Joystick never commands faster than the weapon's traverse speed, while mouse does; with the weapon chasing your view heading.  On top of all that you've still got the view system, pan or snap etc.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
 :aok

It's a step away from simulation and realism, but it's a good step this time for sure.  This will bring more people to the tanking game in AH and make it more enjoyable for many looking to have some fun.  It's not too far of a leap into the "gamey" realm eather, it is definetley not very realistic (commanders having that much control of exact aim or positioning of their vehicles at their finger-tips in WWII), but not too unrealsitic (commanders did have command and ultimate authority of these things in their tanks).

Pyro, could you maybe indulge or give us a peek into how this new system will work and look on the wirbles/ostwinds, if I understand correctly it sounds like those will still have a driver and gunner position, but it sounds like it might be a new experience gunning in the gunner's seat with a mouse.  Also, similar question with the field guns at bases, I bet those will be a lot nicer to gun at low and fast moving targets with a mouse now too.  (...and sorry to bring this up, but the panther scope renovation flipped a switch in my head, maybe an ar234 forward and rear-looking periscope in the forseable future?...)
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.