Author Topic: best way to turn around a typhoon?  (Read 977 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
best way to turn around a typhoon?
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »
chandelle, loop, hammermush?  I could use some advice in preserving momentum for my second pass.  TY
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: best way to turn around a typhoon?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
chandelle, loop, hammermush?  I could use some advice in preserving momentum for my second pass.  TY

A pitchback is like a chandelle but you don't get as slow at the top.

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »
Agreed.  This link explains it (and some others) pretty well.

http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/virtual/protac/acm/maneuver.html
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
I find that if I shoot off the V stab, or the entire tail, they turn around really quickly. Good pilots can make them spin on a dime in that condition. I'm not sure what the maneuver is called. HammeredTail I think.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »
Its called the "ahhhhhghghhgghhghghg Mo@#$%$%^$%%" turn.
Pies not kicks.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
chandelle isnt a pure reverse as its designed to gain alt in the turn.

loop will put you back roughly on the same vector you started with but with less E.

hammermush? hammerhead will end up with you alot higher and pointing straight down, and not easy in a typh due to the very squirrely low speed handling, although iirc the rudder works pretty well.

you want to yo-yo. high or low depends on your starting speed. if you're fast (ie. above turn speed) do a high yo-yo, if you're slow (below turn speed) do a low yo-yo. and fly them coordinated to preserve E. :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
Low pressure system should do the trick.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 12:59:08 AM »
Low pressure system should do the trick.

You know, I was waiting for someone to say somesuch.
Pies not kicks.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
Thanks for the links, I misremembered the chandelle as a same alt reciprocal heading maneuver for some reason.  In the pitchback or high yoyo how slow should one get before using the elevator at the top, do you try to milk the altitude gain and go for a minimum g minimum radius 'turn'?  (I'm speaking in the context of no enme planes just reversing direction while preserving maximum e.)  I'm a little uncertain if I should be near stalling at the top or not.  It seems like this is how I reverse now but I don't feel like it if very clean or efficient.  The hammermush never seems to work, the plane doesn't want to rotate in yaw at next to zero airspeed.
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:27:47 AM »
The details of the reversal depend on what the bandit is doing. You're basically doing a half loop in any case, it's mostly a difference in your plane of maneuver and how hard you need to pull.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
In the pitchback or high yoyo how slow should one get before using the elevator at the top, do you try to milk the altitude gain and go for a minimum g minimum radius 'turn'?  (I'm speaking in the context of no enme planes just reversing direction while preserving maximum e.)  I'm a little uncertain if I should be near stalling at the top or not.  It seems like this is how I reverse now but I don't feel like it if very clean or efficient.

definitely not near stall speed. the idea of the yo-yo is to swap speed and altitude to get your plane close to turn speed (270ish for a typie?), ie. the speed that the plane turns at the highest rate. normally you will start well above turn speed, so you want to make the turn uphill. at the highest point, 90deg round the turn you want to be ~270mph and banked ~90deg. it should be a progressive transition from fast and wings level to turn speed and 90deg bank, then smoothly back to level and fast again.

practise it a few times, when you get it nailed the reverse will be quick and smooth - it will feel like the plane is on rails :aok
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:52:23 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli