Author Topic: Spit 8 vs Ki  (Read 7621 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Spit 8 vs Ki
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2011, 02:28:50 AM »
the KI can only really turn hard when it is slow <160 when the flaps come down.   Although the spit's flap comes down around the same speed it can turn better without it's flap.  With differing stages of flap it complicates the issue.

the KI is a beast under 10k soon as the fight gets higher the spit starts to gain more advantages.   

In a fair 50% fuel fight I would take the Spit 8 purely because the KI pilot has to carefully manage his throttle and flap work if he is to stand a chance of getting a shot.   Over speed in a dive and the flaps will auto retract back leaving you vulnerable in the turn until you can get slow again. 

Both planes are great fun to fly aggressively but I think the spit just steals it, in a mano mano fight to the death.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »
The maneuver you described would not work with a Spitfire as the Spitfire has a greater climb rate. The WEP on Ki84 would not give you any advantage as the Spitfire is more powerful and can maintain WEP for a longer period of time, so if he does not get to you while both WEPs are on, he'll defiantly get you when you loose your WEP and you wont have time to recharge it.

The rate of fire is indeed greater on the Ki-84, but a single 20mm round from a Hispano is more powerful than a Ho-5. I don't know which gun exactly is better, but you can not say that Ho-5 is better just because of the rate of fire.

I don't remember the roll rate on the ki at low speeds so I can't compare it.

Maneuver works just fine and I've used it countless times to ruin many Spitifire driver's day..  :)
Especially after you've made them use up all their WEP... 
Got tons of recorded video through-out the years to show that... 
Intelligent use of WEP in the Frank will absolutely make it outlast any Spitfire's WEP...(thanks to quick recharge rate)..
Face it...  In a Spit, you will probably land or die before WEP ever recharges... 
Flap use is important as well..  All these things in combination used properly will make a semi-experienced Ki-84 stick at least have a good time..
Most Spit pilots aren't that great in the first place (hence why they "need" a Spitfire)..  Just sayin'... 
Ki-84 will also always take WAY more damage than any Spitfire..  1 20mm hit the wing root of a Spitfire and it's easily over..  :)

I never said it was better..  Hispano is markedly better, but doesn't have the same buzz-saw fire rate as the Ho-5(plus you get 30 more rounds per cannon)..  I get in close, fire a micro-burst, and it's over.. 

Roll rate is better all around(low speeds as well) in the Ki-84..

Plus, I like it just because it's fun and interesting to fly.. 
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »
Most Spit pilots aren't that great in the first place (hence why they "need" a Spitfire)..  Just sayin'... 

If you're going to compare plane performance, you have to assume that the pilots in both planes possess equal ability.  Otherwise, it becomes less about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each plane and more about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each pilot.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Maneuver works just fine and I've used it countless times to ruin many Spitifire driver's day..  :)
Especially after you've made them use up all their WEP...  
Got tons of recorded video through-out the years to show that...  
Intelligent use of WEP in the Frank will absolutely make it outlast any Spitfire's WEP...(thanks to quick recharge rate)..
Face it...  In a Spit, you will probably land or die before WEP ever recharges...  
Flap use is important as well..  All these things in combination used properly will make a semi-experienced Ki-84 stick at least have a good time..
Most Spit pilots aren't that great in the first place (hence why they "need" a Spitfire)..  Just sayin'...  
Ki-84 will also always take WAY more damage than any Spitfire..  1 20mm hit the wing root of a Spitfire and it's easily over..  :)

I never said it was better..  Hispano is markedly better, but doesn't have the same buzz-saw fire rate as the Ho-5(plus you get 30 more rounds per cannon)..  I get in close, fire a micro-burst, and it's over..  

Roll rate is better all around(low speeds as well) in the Ki-84..

Plus, I like it just because it's fun and interesting to fly..  

The only thing I can say is that is seems that you never fought any Spitfire who's pilot knew what he was doing. Your description of their compared performance is incorrect.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
MachFly, your claim that the Spitfire will win such a contest may or may not be correct, but keep in mind that just looking at the basic stats does not definitively answer that question.  In a straight climb the Spitfire Mk VIII will out climb the Ki-84, but as soon as the description adds "spiral climb to the left" or such the basic stats no longer give perfect answers.  It is possible for an aircraft to lose the straight climbing contest, but to win the spiral climbing contest.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
MachFly, your claim that the Spitfire will win such a contest may or may not be correct, but keep in mind that just looking at the basic stats does not definitively answer that question.  In a straight climb the Spitfire Mk VIII will out climb the Ki-84, but as soon as the description adds "spiral climb to the left" or such the basic stats no longer give perfect answers.  It is possible for an aircraft to lose the straight climbing contest, but to win the spiral climbing contest.

I understand that, as long as the climbing spiral is faster than 160MPH Spitfire will easily outclimb the Ki. I'm not just speaking because of the numbered but I've used that plane for a few years, I know what it's capable off.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
I used to fly the Ki84 a lot. I mean a LOT. It was one of my favorite rides (still is, I guess!)

I'll never forget one time I ran into a Spit9 driver. I thought "Oh, this will be easy, it's only a 9!" -- turns out I was wrong.

That guy was more than a match, performance wise. He was going up with me, matching my moves, spiralling, diving, spiralling again.

Only way I got out of it was to out-stall him at the very extreme end of a zoom with my butterfly flaps.

I don't recall if I ever got a kill or if it was just getting me out of a bad situation, but I got away.

The spit8, with much more available horsepower than the 9, should be quite dangerous to a Ki84. I would say probably the Spit8 holds the cards, as (again as mentioned) the Ki only really holds the advantages when slow enough to use those butterfly flaps.