Author Topic: Looking after your mental health while playing!  (Read 744 times)

Offline Mygg

• Zinc Member
Looking after your mental health while playing!
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:32:28 AM »
Some advice on how to enjoy AH more responsibly and hopefully prevent burnouts so you may enjoy the experience longer!

*Note: This is mainly for those who don't have other hobbies/external activities*

---------------------------------------------------
- Make sure you don't play too long!
+ If you have decided to take the chance to play for a long time or intense periods after work/study make sure to read a book or have another distraction while your climbing out/etc (don't forsake SA entirely tho). Lifting weights/doing push-ups and sit-ups also is a great way to spend your climb-out time or between sorties!
+ Your mind will eventually accumulate and simulate your experience of the game and build expectations around previous game-play (due to the nature of the game and since game-play is unpredictable, this will leave you often emotionally weak). This often includes other individuals/players as well.
+ Avoid staying up beyond normal waking hours to play! If you still want to keep playing, wake up early; maybe 5:30 or 6:00 am to play instead!

- Make sure you don't get killed too many times!
+ Due to the natural hunter/gatherer instincts, after not succeeding at what your doing continually, this will build up frustration and lower self-esteem. In some more active-minded individuals they will find this gets them easily depressed and may cause emotional stress (note: playing too much will weaken your mind to the effects of AH).
+ When you die often you will notice it is much easier to just re-up then it was the last time, the need for "getting back" at others or re-winning your "honor" may drive you to put yourself in positions which will compromise your emotional stability. When this happens, take a 5-10 minute break, go for a quick walk or do something else for those 5-10 minutes (length depends on how long it has been going on for).

- Make sure you don't play the game too seriously!
+ Prioritize assignments/work/homework over the game! Always play AH with a clear consience and with no "to-dos" to do!
+ You will notice that some of the "worst" players always complain about things and have to explain to others why such things happened/etc. This is a sign of being over-attached to the game!
+ You will notice that some of the "top" players have "Systems" in order to keep their rankings/etc and rarely engage in fights which will even provide a shadow of a doubt of losing. This is a sign of being over-attached to the game!
+ What makes this game is that you and other people can "create" situations which reveal the inner workings of the other persons! Its like dancing, but in the sky and with planes. If you don't dance but just sit on the sidelines waiting for an easy opportunity you will miss out! If you dance too much and wave yourself around like a drunk person, you will find people don't like dancing with you!
+ Don't take yourself or your "reputation" too seriously! Enjoy your time with others and don't trick yourself into thinking your a better/worse person then anyone else!

Section added later; particulars: How to extend your enjoyment of the game
- Understand why you enjoyed the game the first time you played!
+ Don't let yourself build mental "structures" and ways of dealing with situations beforehand! Engage in a situation and let what's inside come out by itself!
+ There is only one version of fun in this game, and thats HTC's vision of it! Your "version" is only a desire to control it (this comes with time and effects everyone, so be careful)!
+ Remember how you first felt when you played for the first time and keep that in your mind at all times!
+ Get to know and link up with other players in your neighborhood/town/city and arrange occasions to play online together (Host a local AH LAN)!
---------------------------------------------------

Practical things you can do:
- Limit yourself to a set number of hours or "lives" per day/week.
- When you feel yourself emotionally react to situations in-game, force yourself to smile and don't allow yourself to engage with the emotional response OR Take a break.
- Before you play, make sure to remind yourself to have fun over and over!
- Always make sure your in a position of emotionally "giving" to the game and not "taking" before you start! Otherwise you will just look to it as a means of hiding real and deep emotional issues (and hurt the game experience and community in the long run)!

:cheers: & Good luck!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:25:18 AM by Mygg »

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
Re: Looking after your mental health while playing!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:26 AM »
What do I do if I have to urge to VOX tune some HO-dweeb and tell him how I feel about his antics or, perhaps, demean my fellow countrymen for furballing when they should be deacking the field?

Offline Mygg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »
What do you honestly think?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »
Nothing to worry about here... I lost my mental health years before joining AH  :x  :banana:  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mygg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »
 :)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:35:05 AM »
:rofl well said, ill be remembering some of those myself...when i get a computer and the gam :bhead

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:51 AM »
Dr Phil in the house,lol

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
 :bhead :bhead :bhead GET OUT!!!  :bhead :bhead :bhead GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!  :bhead :bhead :bhead

:confused:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Mygg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
 :D for a good state of mind when playing!

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »
This is a good post...  You're right dude..  +1

I play guitar while at climb  :)
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
Well cute little guidelines for playing AH, you got there. I like how you snuck in how you feel about Scoretards. :D
  Would writing a "How to play Aces High" thesis in the AHforums be an attachment to the game? Meh, Mental Health overrated.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
:rofl well said, ill be remembering some of those myself...when i get a computer and the gam :bhead

You don't have a computer or the game?  Yet you just posted on this forum presumably through a computer?  If you haven't played the game why are you even on this forum?

This is all very confusing.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
Next on Oprah, midgets and the women who love them...............
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Mygg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 02:06:38 PM »
Its obvious that this is needed more then ever!

Read it and take it in guys and then you can enjoy AH for another 10+ years without burning out!

:-)

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »
thought this was spam at first, pretty sure it still is. ;)
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE