Author Topic: Diary of a Noob  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
Re: Diary of a Noob
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
After flying wing with people a few times I realized that it hinders my learning greatly. I have a crutch I can fall back on. I don't have to worry about SA as much, I don't have to fly as defensively, and I don't have to kill as quickly. Winging up will be great fun once I feel I am at that stage, but for now I think it would hurt me more than it would help me. I never asked to wing up, I asked for people to help me out in the training arena. I've had two people offer thus far to help me out in that regard. One of which I have already met up with (thanks FLS) and the other I haven't seen online yet (he might have a different game name than his forum name).

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »
Aside from the no check six calls (and maybe he has no mic?) what's bad about being a lone wolf?

Nothing in this game, and many are, they seldom if ever wing up, but I don't see them posting looking for invites to wing up,  but Hoff expressed in several posts on several different areas of the BBS that he wanted to wing up.  He should fly the way he has the most fun.  But stop saying one thing and doing the other.   And with all the Check'6 I see him receive both verbal and via the " ' " key, say thank you once in a while.

by the way, lone wolfs, didn't exists in WWII.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 02:21:01 AM »
Day 3:

Flew a few missions with 113th. It was kinda fun, but I still prefer just duking it out to being the spearhead for taking bases and resupplying fields. I was off and on today. Pulled off some really good shots and got a few good kills, but also got killed a few times because I couldn't shake people off my six. I also think that the 109k outclasses the p38 in every way because if I am co-e with one, there just seems to be no way to get guns on him other than to HO. They turn faster, climb better, and are faster, plus they only need one hit to kill you. It really makes me question my choice of plane, perhaps there is something that can be done against a 109k, I don't know.

Good: Gunnery
Bad: Gunnery, Defensive Maneuvering, Offensive Maneuvering
Film: One - Two - Three

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
I think your biggest problem is you think that this game is like Call of Duty or some other game where your going to be a super star after a few days practice. Nothing is farther from the truth. There are far more "controls" to learn, once you have them down, then there is learning to fly your plane. It's strengths, weakness and just general controls. Then there is learning the other planes, and what they can do. Then there is how an opponent flies when he's on the attack, and how he flies when he is defensive. Then there is how you can use other friendlies and/or enemies to get your kill. Once you get it through your head that all this is going to take awhile you might progress a bit quicker, not much, but it will feel much quicker.

The LA film, you were flying WITH a squad. you should have never engaged that LA. Dive down to meet him, make a merge (yours was ok), but zoom back up to your group. The "team" may have been counting on your ord to help do the job to complete the mission. When in a mission the mission objective is NUMBER 1, not the kill.

The G14 fight, you were so set on jumping the low cons that were already out numbered you gave the 109 your 6 starting the fight at a disadvantage. With all the other planes in the area, had you ignored the low guys, kept your alt and run a lazy nose up turn in either direction, you would have been in a stronger position. Most likely the 109 would have been distracted by another "easier" looking target giving you the chance to be the high guy looking to pick him off of someone else. Instead he had the upper hand on you. You pushed for a low percentage shot leaving you low on E again. All that saved you was the friendlies in the area looking to pick him. Most 109s are flown by decent sticks. The 109 is not for newbs, so you can be pretty sure that a 109 is going to be pretty good. You may have read that when your fighting more than one bad guy the best thing to do is to try and lead them around to get them ALL in the same air space. This way your defensive moves work on all of them at the same time instead of trying to string a bunch of moves together. If thats true for the defender, what would be the plan for the attacker? NOT to get in the same air space as the others. You followed the other guys around and tried doing the same turns to get the same shots. The 109 did well avoiding you all for awhile. Had you let the other guys do the chasing you could have gotten a bit of alt and dropped in on the 109 by watching where the other guys were pushing him and flying to where he was going instead of chasing him.

The P47, P51s film. Again too fixated on the target. You gave up all of your advantages by pushing for the kill on the P47. Even once you got the "check 6" you still took far too long to figure out which pony was the threat, and decide what you were going to do with him. You were in a bad way, and should have known right off that flying strait and running wasn't going to work. Turning back into them over and over again would have got them slow where the flaps and counter rotating props of your 38 would have given you the edge in a slow turn fight. Had you been able to survive gun passes from them a few times (point your wing tip at the one that is going to fire at you, 400-600 out, smallest profile, less to shoot at) the guy that had given you the "check 6" may have come back down to pick one or both of the ponies.

Well thats my humble opinion. I'm no super stick even though I've been here 10 years. Thats the best thing about this game, every fight (against someone who tries to fight) is a different animal. While one move might work on one guy, the very next fight with a different stick won"t work the same. The best advice I can give you is don't worry about the kills or dieing. Learn the fight, learn how to be a team player even if your NOT flying with a squad. Working off/with other players in your area very much dictates how a fight can go. There are a million things you can learn in this game should you want to. Your not going to learn them and get good at them in a week or two. Give it time, ask questions, take advice and learn from it. 

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
Day 3:

Flew a few missions with 113th. It was kinda fun, but I still prefer just duking it out to being the spearhead for taking bases and resupplying fields. I was off and on today. Pulled off some really good shots and got a few good kills, but also got killed a few times because I couldn't shake people off my six. I also think that the 109k outclasses the p38 in every way because if I am co-e with one, there just seems to be no way to get guns on him other than to HO. They turn faster, climb better, and are faster, plus they only need one hit to kill you. It really makes me question my choice of plane, perhaps there is something that can be done against a 109k, I don't know.

Sorry you left early last night, you missed the fighter sweep missions ,  anyway if you want to continue flying with 113th you’ll have to use that mic.  Also, I think you are to easily impressed with the 109, you just have to learn how to fight your fight and not his.

Check out some of the AH film on our AHWiki page for the 113th Lucky Strikes there are several where I engage 109k ‘s that have all the advantage at the start but soon die.  I do it in a lowly P38 G.

By the way , you did a nice job on that P47M on the way to V135.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
Day 4:

Had a 6 kill mission (but didn't land it). Got a few bomber kills and some nice shots on people, but at the end of the day I felt myself wondering why I'm flying the P38. I love the plane IRL, but I'm so competitive that I like winning more than looks. Currently I'm questioning my choice of ride, considering switching to the F4U, 190D, or 109K. Currently it seems that the F4U and 109K outclass the P38 in every way, but I'm just a noob so hopefully someone can tell me what the P38 can do to beat those planes co-e. I thought the best film from today was the third one, even though it ends badly.

Good: Bomber Killing
Bad: Everything
Film: One - Two - Three

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:13:27 AM »
Hya HOFF,

Just think for 1 minute about checking six....they not only help your buddies in problem...you can't imagine how they affect your SA!!!

Imagine you see an enemy La7 going claearly for one friend's 6, and also you see 2 enemy cons coming from far away.

Option 1: You don't give check 6.....probably your buddy will die....and you will have to deal with 3 enemies alone...

Option 2: You give a 6 call...and luckly...your friend kills his chaser......now odds are 2 vs 2...it's a big difference.

Believe it or not, but your SA changes dramatically depending on the friends/enemies equation.....and you have a very important role to keep it as high as possible....

On the other hand.....I've never flown a P38...but we can go to TA if you desire and I'll give you some techinques that work for me.....general skills...not P38 skill...the only thing we'll only have to deal is with comunnication lenguage.....as my english/american sucks a bit....

If you want to go to TA with me......just ask for it bud.

Cya

Edit: FYI...I only fly 190 and F4u.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:18:14 AM by Kovel »
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
Day 5:

Today was frustrating. I am very close to switching to a faster plane due to everyone flying 190s, 109s, f4us, p47s, and runstangs. Had a few good reversals in the P38 and ran down quite a few people in the 190D (even strafed a few that thought that I was going to let them land). Pretty damn annoying day overall. I'd like to stick with the P38 if possible, but the amount of people that run away in this game is ridiculous. I'll gladly get into a fight where I don't have the energy disadvantage because it's a true test of skill. If I really wanted to, I could fly the 190D, climb to 15k, BnZ all day, and probably have a 3-4/1 K/D, but at the end of the day it's not really doing anything a trained monkey couldn't do. Hopefully I don't have to switch rides, we'll see. Just as a side note, there is a difference between running and extending in order to re-engage. I have no problems with people who extend in order to use their plane to the fullest, but people who flat out run to ack at the first sign of getting reversed ruin this game. On a personal note, I feel like I'm getting a little better at mixing it up in the P38, but I'm still not satisfied with how fast I'm progressing.

Good: Gunnery, Defensive Maneuvering, SA
Bad: Gunnery, Defensive Maneuvering
Film: One

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 02:14:46 AM »
lag roll at 1:50 on the ki and u would've had him right there
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 04:37:45 AM »
FLy what you like, like what you fly, the thread is becoming a whine.  We all get it, your new, your not sure.  Pck a ride, fly it for a few years then pick another ride.  The films are fun, but the whine is becoming a pain.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:48 AM »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 06:55:03 AM »
Hoff nice to see you're making progress. Keep in mind that people don't have to fly the way you'd like them to. You can duel in the DA, in the MA you have to adjust to their behavior. It's part of the challenge.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »
Day 6:

Decided to try out the 109k today because Big(forgot the rest, sorry, he flies F4U mainly) was on in the TA and I decided to take the opportunity and have him teach me a little. We merged a few times and I filmed it (I'll look at it later). As it stands I have no clue what I was doing wrong, so hopefully the film can show me. I then went to the MA when Big went to bed. For some reason my aim with the 30mm was godlike today. I flew five or six missions in a row where I landed 2-4 kills each. I think I may have found my calling. That doesn't mean that I flew perfectly, but I felt really good while flying this plane. The first film is short. It's a nice shot on a P51 trying to run to his Ack. The second film is longer and is a big furball where I get off some nice shots and manage to defend myself against a La7 on my six (with some help, but I survive for quite a while on my own). Before the furball I had shot down a F4U1C with a very nice snapshot, like I said, my gunnery was on fire today.

Good: Gunner, GUNNERY, POTATOES
Bad: SA
Film: One - Two
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:19:12 AM by Hoff »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
FLy what you like, like what you fly, the thread is becoming a whine.  We all get it, your new, your not sure.  Pck a ride, fly it for a few years then pick another ride.  The films are fun, but the whine is becoming a pain.

I'm starting to agree with Traveler.  Being competitive is great, but understand you aren't going to be a superstar in this game in a few days.    If it's all about winning and doing it fast, then pick a bird that does that for you. 

If it's history, then fly the bird you like, learn the ins and outs and have fun.  The great advantage of the game is you don't really die and planes are free.

You continue to talk about liking the 38 in real life, but it's clearly not uber enough for you to find immediate success.  Sounds like you are having success in the 109K.  If that's the most important thing go for it.  I note your comments on the 38 v 109K.  Some of the best fights I've had are in a 38G vs guys like Agent360, Sunbat, and others co alt in their 109Ks. 

Do understand one important thing.  The best sticks in this game, are the guys who fight regardless.  They take their bird of choice and fight and die in it for a long time while they learn every bit of what they can do with it.  That's different then always flying to the strength of a particular bird.

I'll use Agent360 as a good example of this.  More often then not he'll be out lower then the baduns in his 109K.   If he flew the 109K to it's strengths all the time, he wouldn't be in that spot.  He'd be up high, use it's speed and cannon and never bend it like he does.  Because he is willing to fight from a disadvantage, he can bend that 109K better then most. 

There are lots of guys like that who don't land 15 kills every flight, but who are by far the better sticks due to what they can make their bird do.  Slapshot in an FM2, JUGgler in a 47, cactus in a 38, the list goes on and on.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
I wont be good in a few days, but it's certainly not going to take a year. Anyone else have any comments/suggestions?

Edit: Before I forget. Other than random meet ups where I catch you on TA or MA and ask if you want to help me out, does anyone want to officially take me under their wing and show me the ropes? In other words, set up a schedule for practicing and such.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:34:12 PM by Hoff »