Author Topic: Sticking slats  (Read 573 times)

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
Sticking slats
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »
Does anybody know if during WW2, German aircraft had issues with slats sticking out or not deploying at all? I'd imagine this happened frequently and was something the pilot would have to coax.
Dedstick

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Re: Sticking slats
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:22:43 PM »
In the 109s (and it may vary by model) the slats were free moving and operated via a combination of air pressure and angle of attack.  Because there aren't any motors, I would expect this design to work pretty well unless there were some kind of wing damage.  It would be easy to check before takeoff certainly - just give the damn thing a pull and see if it moves. 

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »
The only problem with them that I recall was that if the slats didn't deploy at the same time (not stuck, just the wings stalling at slightly different times) it had a nasty effect that could surprise a green pilot.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
A4 skyhawk had them.

My dad said he could always tell if a hot stick flew the plane before him if he didn't have to adjust the mirrors so you could see the slats instead of behind you.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Does anybody know if during WW2, German aircraft had issues with slats sticking out or not deploying at all? I'd imagine this happened frequently and was something the pilot would have to coax.

Remember Hartmann mentioning in his book that there was a problem with the slats deploying asymetrically.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
The blue angels disabled the slats for that reason when they flew the skyhawk.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
I wish I could disable them.  It seems they deploy just as I'm about ready to fire thereby throwing my aim off.  :furious      :D
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:22:13 AM »
I wish I could disable them.  It seems they deploy just as I'm about ready to fire thereby throwing my aim off.
It's the slats! Yeah, that's the ticket!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.