Author Topic: The Over 40 Crowd  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: The Over 40 Crowd
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
thats some funny watermelon Beet1e, err I mean penguin

Who's Beet1le?  Why do people keep calling me a shade?  I really AM that clueless! 

-Penguin

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Beets wouldnt be talking about womens rights...He likes to beat on em.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
You guys are making me all nostalgic. 

Full on tackle football in the field across from the apartment in Chicago, pick up ice hockey in the winter, setting up your green plastic army men just so then throwing rocks at the other guys until the 'winner' had one man standing, taking the 22's to the neighbors pond to de turtle it, bottle rockets, bottle rocket wars, building ramps out of scrap wood from the construction site to see who could jump their bike the furthest (ME), not to mention we didn't have to gear up like an NFL linebacker to go bike riding, and so on..
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
Then again, life has gotten better.

1.) Women's rights have made huge strides, along with minority groups being able to get a decent job
2.) Medicine has made huge strides, steriliztion has become mandatory for all things
3.) No more lead in the paint
4.) No more lead in the gasoline
5.) No more lead in the pipes
6.) Airbags and full seatbelts mandatory on all non-racing cars
7.) Electric lawnmowers (thank goodness for those, the gasoline ones make my ears ring)
8.) The personal computer
9.) The internet
10-10,000.) New things one can do with the internet (research, find old friends)
10,010.) Non-stop flights from California to Bejing
10,011.) Genetically modified crops to boost food supply
10,012.) Fall of Communism
10,013.) AH2

You guys are confusing how fun being a kid was with the actual quality of life back then.  Now that you're an adult and life sucks, you blame it on the time period.

-Penguin

1- Yup. thus lowering individual incomes due to a surplus of workers. Now women have their equal rights. so much so that in most cases these days families cant afford to have stay at home moms. Now both parents HAVE to work just to make ends meet.

3 Yup, no more lead. Unfortunately a paint job no longer lasts 20-30 years anymore either. What people dont realise is everything that went into making quality paints. Is no longer allowed. Your lucky to get 10 years out of a paint job. So instead we have houses encased in plastic which contributes tot he rise of carbon monoxide  and radon gas poisoning because before houses used to vent these gases out. Now everything is so airtight. The gasses no longer escape. Not to mention that the siding is made out of plastic and all the good that does to the environment.

There is a bit of misinformation on lead paint. Lead paint inand of itself is not dangerous. Or I should say not nearly as dangerous as the media has made it out to be. The problem lies in poorly maintained homes where the paint has been allowed to dry out and chip or turn into a powder. You could eat a bowlful of lead paint chips as you would cornflakes and suffer little to any effects from it because it has to be of a size that it would be able to enter your bloodstream.
such as would happen if you gnawed on and sucked on a windowsill. Or stuck your finders inot the dust in that windowsill cause by the movement of the window and then stuck your fingers in your mouth.
Or on the exterior if the home has been poorly maintained and the paint washes off the siding and into the ground where chipped paint also has a tendancy to be crushed into finer peices where it can enter the bloodstream though your skin.
Or in improper renovation techniques and improper cleanup.

Point is. a poorly maintained home or building is the primary cause of lead paint based poisoning. Or letting kids chew and suck on the wood.

Anything that has been properly maintained is not a hazard so long as you dont decide to develop an appetite for your woodwork. So if you live in a house built before 1978. Please dont eat your doors and windows.

If your home was built before 1978. there is a 25% chance it contains lead. and the odds get worse from there back to nearly 100% in the early 1900's and before.
How do you best deal with an older home you suspect has lead in it? You encapsulate it. You do that by painting it and keeping it maintained. Putting siding over it does not encapsulate it. On the inside you either paint it. Rock over it. Or rip out all the walls and redo it.
There is no way to remove lead from wood even if you strip it. In fact stripping it places you and your family at even greater risk..

The reason why kids tend to get lead poisoning rom paint more often then adults is because of poorly maintained buildings.

I know all this crap cause I had to spend $100 and 8 hours on an EPA approved class pass the test (I scored 100%). Then send the EPA another $300 for a license to work on homes built before 1978

5 misinformation. Even with teh above mentioned the vast majority of lead poisoning currently in the USA is not from old paint. But from the lead that in the water mains. While your home may no longer use lead based solder holding the pipes together. Cept for new developments. Most of the old mains still do. That is why you are told to run your water before drinking.

And for the record. Some 250,00 kids tested positive for "elevated" levels of lead in their blood. thats not lead poisoning. Which sounds like alot and it is.
And thats the number they like to throw out thre to alarm everyone.
 But as a percentage of all kids tested. Came out to 2%. You stand a better chance of having a child born with a birth defect or being born gay.(both around 6%) then you do of getting lead poisoning or even testing positive for "elevated" levels of lead in your blood.

8 which has helped create a society of people who no longer do anything helping in the rise of childhood obesity and a rise in anti social behaviour

9 (see 8)

10,011. between that and additives currently being suspected in possible causes of everything from peanut butter allergies to a rise in autism
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Back on topic.

I remember my parents telling me to "go outside and play and dont come home until dinner time"

Not where you going? What you doing, call us what you get there. Just "go out" and "dont come home until"..

One day I remember as if it were yesterday. I went outside but none of my friends were around or even home. So I hung out at the park carving things into trees with my buck knife. I was 11, and it was just before my mothers birthday. (She was born Jan 15th) and it felt like it was about 2 degrees out.

Can you imagine the uproar and shock people would be in today if someone let their 11 year old outside in the freezing cold unsupervised and with a full sized folding buck knife?

Cell phones so that mom could get in touch with us when she wanted? Heh.
I bet more then one person will testify that a mothers voice can carry a long long way without the need of a cell phone.
How many could clearly hear their mothers voice calling them from blocks and blocks away. And if you didnt hear her. your friends often did. Moms didnt need any cell phones.

Coming home early usually meant doing chores.
And the one thing you learned real fast not to say was "Im bored. there's nothing to do." Cause they would find something for you to do. Like cleaning the basement.

And you either ate what everyone else ate for dinner like it or not. Or you literally went to bed with no dinner. Those were the only two options.
Not " ok since you dont like this you can have a hot dog".

No. You either ate what was on your plate. or you went hungry.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
Back on topic.

I remember my parents telling me to "go outside and play and dont come home until dinner time"

Not where you going? What you doing, call us what you get there. Just "go out" and "dont come home until"..

One day I remember as if it were yesterday. I went outside but none of my friends were around or even home. So I hung out at the park carving things into trees with my buck knife. I was 11, and it was just before my mothers birthday. (She was born Jan 15th) and it felt like it was about 2 degrees out.

Can you imagine the uproar and shock people would be in today if someone let their 11 year old outside in the freezing cold unsupervised and with a full sized folding buck knife?

I bet more then one person will testify that a mothers voice can carry a long long way without the need of a cell phone.
How many could clearly hear their mothers voice calling them from blocks and blocks away. And if you didnt hear her. your friends often did. Moms didnt need any cell phones.

And the one thing you learned real fast not to say was "Im bored. there's nothing to do." Cause they would find something for you to do. Like cleaning the basement.

And you either ate what everyone else ate for dinner like it or not. Or you literally went to bed with no dinner. Those were the only two options.

LOL  I can still hear my Mom's voice in my head.
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
Back on topic.

I'm pretty sure I'm hard of hearing, I have a tough time making words out.  11 year old with a folding knife?  Recipie for disaster.

-Penguin

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
jeez. you people over 40 complain alot, no offence but we get enough of it from our parents EVERY SINGLE DAY. my mom tells me to go outside and play, i make sure i do or else its 4 full weeks of cleaning every single nanometer of the house. im told to go take the trash out, i take it out or get a good boot up the butt. and lastly...with my mom she says eat what i got or else i starve for the night.

things in my house havent changed much, all i have is this computer, a cell phone and a TV.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:56 PM »
I have no memories like you guys have :(

I do remember the "home box office"  we had at a foster home, that was were I got to play atari the first time also, I think 82 it was...."pittfall" and "frogger" where the sickest :rofl

I was a late starter to the whole "gaming" thing It was "resident evil" on PS1 I believe, that game just blew me away, got me hooked on gaming  :rofl

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
bottle rockets, bottle rocket wars, building ramps out of scrap wood from the construction site to see who could jump their bike the furthest (ME), not to mention we didn't have to gear up like an NFL linebacker to go bike riding, and so on..
Haha! We use to have bottle rocket wars in the grave yard close by. I had a curtain rod with a handle on it like a bazooka. There was an opening cut in the rod where the fuse would show.

As far as jumping bikes,we had a huge road sign.One of those 1.5 inch thick  --> signs. We would set it up on cinder blocks and jump trenches. Man we did some crazy stuff on those bikes. I had a yoke break on me in mid air, front wheel fly off in mid air. It was all good tho.
 They would arrest people today for sledding on the hill we sledded on and I dont blame em. That was some dangerous stuff but we all somehow survived it. Technology has turned kids into candy tulips for sure lol.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »
11 year old with a folding knife?  Recipie for disaster.

WTF??  :huh :huh :huh

By the time I was 11 I had a 12 ga shotgun. Folding knife? I had a K-Bar in the 4th grade. It was just made sure of that I left it in the car when we got to school in the morning.

But then again that was an 11 year old then.... not your average 11 year old now.... so I see your point. My daughter is 10 and I see the crap they watch on TV and the stuff that goes on in her school (my wife is also a teacher at that same elementary school)... and I can say..... kids today are Nancy-boy sissy morons compared to a couple generations ago.  :old: :old:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:15:46 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
By the time I was 11 I had a 12 ga shotgun.

So did I.  I had a Marlin 22 by that age also.

My youngest daughter is 8, she is learning to shoot.  This is her shooting a pistol for the first time, she was 7 last November when this was taken.

Here she is with a 10/22 early in the summer.

Here she is firing a 22 rifle that belonged to my Grandfather when he was a young boy in the 1920s.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:06:33 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm hard of hearing, I have a tough time making words out.  11 year old with a folding knife?  Recipie for disaster.

-Penguin

Seriously?

By the time Squid was that age he had at least one sword. 

*shrug*

Don't exactly understand the attraction but, okay, it's his bag and he carries it well.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
WTF??  :huh :huh :huh

By the time I was 11 I had a 12 ga shotgun. Folding knife? I had a K-Bar in the 4th grade. It was just made sure of that I left it in the car when we got to school in the morning.

But then again that was an 11 year old then.... not your average 11 year old now.... so I see your point. My daughter is 10 and I see the crap they watch on TV and the stuff that goes on in her school (my wife is also a teacher at that same elementary school)... and I can say..... kids today are Nancy-boy sissy morons compared to a couple generations ago.  :old: :old:

LOL new years eve I gave my 12 year old nephew a lit cigar,couple of bottle rockets and a pack of firecrackers to light off. I was astounded That after standing there watching him and two of his friends looking at them that I actually had to show them how to do it.

Hell by that age we were figuring out ways to use them to blow things up. Models, ant hills etc.

Knives werent allt hat uncommon. And I lived in a pretty rough town. I think Cap1 can probably testify as to the type of rep New Brunswick had back in the early 70s.
Oddly enough nobody back then ever pulled a knife on one another. That didnt come till much later in my teens. But thats another story
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
Hell by that age we were figuring out ways to use them to blow things up. Models, ant hills etc.

Oh yes, many a model airplane died by firecracker and gasoline!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder