Author Topic: The Over 40 Crowd  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: The Over 40 Crowd
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
game name?     just curious if ive flown with ya or around you

Penguin, former squeaker of Duxford Wing (we got a midget, so he took my spot as mascot and squeaker).  Look up ZENSEN, he'll tell you all about how long it took me to get in (2 years and 2 attempts).

-Penguin

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
thats why I said MOST :aok

Oh, I get it, you're saying that my reasons 10 through 10,000 are bad... wow, I fail at comprehending my own writing.  FAIL.

-Penguin

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
Duxford wing is a good group of gents
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Oh, I get it, you're saying that my reasons 10 through 10,000 are bad... wow, I fail at comprehending my own writing.  FAIL.

-Penguin

not this again :rofl

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
And we had toys guns that weren't orange.  We played "Army", sometimes occaisionally pointing the toy guns at each other whilst making shooting sounds.  Strangely enough, we all grew up and to my knowledge neither I nor any of my friends from those days have yet gone on a killing rampage. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »
And we had toys guns that weren't orange.  We played "Army", sometimes occaisionally pointing the toy guns at each other whilst making shooting sounds.  Strangely enough, we all grew up and to my knowledge neither I nor any of my friends from those days have yet gone on a killing rampage. 

YES, and going to construction sites and taking wood scraps to make your own gun.   :lol
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »
  How can you not like the sound of a lawnmower on a summer evening while sitting out on the porch having a beer?

~AoM~

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
YES, and going to construction sites and taking wood scraps to make your own gun.   :lol

the good ol days, back in 72 they was constructing a 40 Home neighborhood ( former raspberry Fields) and after they dug all the utility ditch's oh man the war was on, about 20 of us neighborhood kids all got together and just battled morning till dark ( breaks for rations lol) and never had to worry about getting in trouble, the guy who owned the property didn't mind as long as we respected his property, the same 20 plus kids we would play football/baseball in the pasture, total entertainment without electronics, today's its all about electronics, its making us lazy and less caring as a society in general
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »
I let my dog pee on an old lady's rose bushes when I was a wee lad (no pun intended). SHE whipped me with her da** purse which had to be filled with cement. Then she told my parents and jeez, they whalloped me good. Needless to say, I'm not one of the kids who does stuff on a whim anymore. (Not the only occurrance, btw).
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 11:20:47 PM »
Sheesh ... over 40??

I didn't even solo till I was 43.
*the year I found out about General Aviation Medical Waivers* .. wish I had known that when I was a kid :)

Got my Daisy BB-gun when I was 7 or 8
.. had my own .22 lever action Marlin (with the 8-sided barrel) when I was in 8th grade ....useda make summer money shootin crows for the local farmers.

First few cars I owned didn't have seat belts, had steel dashboards, and were a total blast to drive :)

Yanno what cracks me up .. every single decade since I was 20 people have said 'life is over as you know it' when you reach 30 .. 40 .. 50 ..
.. I will be 61 this year .. feel like someone stole the last 40 years 'cause no way it feels like that much time has gone by!

The only difference from my 20's to now is .. I don't burn as much rubber as I useda,
..and it's been awhile since the wife grabbed the keys an tossed 'em out the window :)

(yes .. we just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary ..it's gonna be a great summer ;)

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »
Do you want people to hate you or are you just that clueless?

he's trolling.
he's very good at it.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »
Combat! and 12 O'Clock High on TV.   1/72nd scale models of Spits, Mustangs 109 etc for 99 cents,  all those 1/48th scale Monogram birds with droppable torps and bombs!  Blue shag carpet for model carrier and battleship wars!  We didn't need no stinking computer to be pretend pilots!

Most of us could actually throw a baseball, football and shoot a basketball without an Xbox controller! :)

Dad's Impala with the 350 in it could really move and it was bigger then my SUV now!

Bobby Orr and the big bad Bruins!

Table Hockey, Electric Football.....ahh the memories :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »
Then again, life has gotten better.

1.) Women's rights have made huge strides, along with minority groups being able to get a decent job
2.) Medicine has made huge strides, steriliztion has become mandatory for all things
3.) No more lead in the paint
4.) No more lead in the gasoline
5.) No more lead in the pipes
6.) Airbags and full seatbelts mandatory on all non-racing cars
7.) Electric lawnmowers (thank goodness for those, the gasoline ones make my ears ring)
8.) The personal computer
9.) The internet
10-10,000.) New things one can do with the internet (research, find old friends)
10,010.) Non-stop flights from California to Bejing
10,011.) Genetically modified crops to boost food supply
10,012.) Fall of Communism
10,013.) AH2

You guys are confusing how fun being a kid was with the actual quality of life back then.  Now that you're an adult and life sucks, you blame it on the time period.

-Penguin
thats some funny watermelon Beet1e, err I mean penguin
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:47 AM »
<-----40 in 2weeks  :O

Not a clue where the time went  :lol
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.