Author Topic: A philosophical question  (Read 2021 times)

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
A philosophical question
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
In f4ux i'm a sitting duck.

Why?

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: A philosophical question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
Why not? Nothing philosophical about that.

Suggest you head to the training arena.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
Because you did not take off?  :headscratch:  :bolt:

Jokes aside I agree with Krusty, it's a good airplane you just need to learn how to use it.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »
You need to get used to the feel lulu...it is and feels heavier than the spit you usually use....It willactually do much of the same stuff it just needs to be worked more...after some time in it....(win or lose use it for at least a tour) you will find its performance areas...Flaps are a reasonably big player with the F4U...I don't know much about them really but those things I do know....

Also after you spend some constant time in one...like a week solid, jump back in the spitty for a run or two...you will notice the big difference in weight feel and will probably flop about a bit.

somebody with a much much better knowledge will be along shortly

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »
If an f4u crashes in the woods and there is no one to hear it, does the server register a kill?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
I hate those planes...  Hate flying them and I hate getting killed by them.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »
Hogs are nice planes except for that acre sized plate on the canopy. With view keys its relatively easy to map your views for getting around it, but IMHO in TIR its very easy to lean back and get your head stuck behind it so you can't see anything behind or above. I'm pretty sure it wasn't quite that big in real life and not all variants had them.

Once you get around that, they are like most planes in the game, they are pretty good to fly and with the exception of the -4, not that hard to kill if approached from their weaknesses.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
Hogs are nice planes except for that acre sized plate on the canopy. With view keys its relatively easy to map your views for getting around it, but IMHO in TIR its very easy to lean back and get your head stuck behind it so you can't see anything behind or above. I'm pretty sure it wasn't quite that big in real life and not all variants had them.

Once you get around that, they are like most planes in the game, they are pretty good to fly and with the exception of the -4, not that hard to kill if approached from their weaknesses.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
In f4ux i'm a sitting duck.

Why?

Since it's philosophy I think you need to look at your assumptions about what the F4u can and can't do.

Are you flying it like another aircraft you're more used to? If so, how is that aircraft different from the F4u?

Do the aircraft differences suggest any differences in how you should be flying the F4u?

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
If you want to be good in an F4U you have to make a big commitment to do so, takes a long time to learn (109's and p38's same category).  To fly correctly, it's an extremely busy aircraft.  Constant attention must be given to your E state, it's a poor climber and accellerator, So E is precious and difficult to get back quickly.  Going from a Spit (a very non-busy aircraft), to a F4U, is a dramatic change.  The benefits of learning the F4U is that you have at your disposal one of the most versatile aircraft in the game.

BigRat

When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »
If you want to be good in an F4U you have to make a big commitment to do so, takes a long time to learn (109's and p38's same category). 

Agreed on all three.

- oldman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
Because they are ugly and ponderous birds ;)

Get BigRat in the TA and he'll make you a serious assassin in them in short order. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
When I fly in f4ud, is better then fly in f4u1 and f4u1-a.

Why?

mobilis in mobile

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

Why?

Don't know, the only real indifference is the wing tanks but those should not be effecting you much.

Perhaps you those rabbit years in the 1 and 1A keep annoying you.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »

Why?

If you are flying the same fuel loadout, eg. 75% for all.  The -1 and -1a are actually carrying more fuel then the 1D, Their are wing tanks in the -1 and 1a these will effect plane performance along with the aditional fuel weight. This may be your difference.

BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat