Author Topic: Dry lubricant for joysticks.  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Dry lubricant for joysticks.
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:59:28 AM »
Hey guys,

Several joystick including my T-16000's and Saitek's are sold with some kind of lubricant applied on it. After some time this lubricant just dries out and the sticks start to "KWWWEEERK". I've read somewhere that this kind of lubricant is rather special as it's "dry"...Anyone knows what to buy to lubricate my stick without damaging it? (no pun intended  :lol)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Dry lubricant for joysticks.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:39 AM »
Funny you should bring this subject up.  My X-52 was beginning to feel a bit awkward today.  I'm not even sure if you are supposed to lubricate this thing, but I took a Q-tip & some Hoppe's 9 gun oil and applied a very fine
layer on it.  (I do not recommend this to anyone!)  I'm just too cheap to go and buy a new stick.

:joystick: Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:52:42 AM »
Funny you should bring this subject up.  My X-52 was beginning to feel a bit awkward today.  I'm not even sure if you are supposed to lubricate this thing, but I took a Q-tip & some Hoppe's 9 gun oil and applied a very fine
layer on it.  (I do not recommend this to anyone!)  I'm just too cheap to go and buy a new stick.

:joystick: Coogan

I killed a saitek cyborg using lubricant for metals, it felt great at first but got crappy after a few day when the oil dried out on the plastic.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:52 AM »
I only applied this to the metal shaft on the stick.  Not any plastic parts.
Still in the trial stage with it.  So far so good.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:19:26 AM »
I would avoid any lubricant meant for metal!  They will usually eat plastics. I know that Hoppes #9 and similar lubes will cause some plastics to turn to a weird gel. If you want a lubricant make sure it's safe for plastic. Some Teflon grease, maybe a molybdenum grease or a careful coating of a spray on graphite.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:36:23 AM »
I guess I'll have to ask around in a hardware store.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
Silicon dry lubricant spray should work. Stuff can be expensive though, it's meant for professional use.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:35:05 AM »
graphite always works

(good liuck cleaning the mess though  :devil)

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
Why not just call Saitek and ask them what they recommend/currently use for a lubricant?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:13 PM »
I trashed my old X-45 by using WD40 on it!  Lessons learned!

What I used frequently with my X-52 was a product called Sil-Glyde which was designed for use with automotive brake caliper slides so that it won't destroy the rubber seals on them.  You can also use di-electric grease.  Regardless make sure it is a silicone-based lubricant and is safe for use with rubber and you should be ok.

Just be careful to apply only a little bit to a q-tip and then apply it to the base of the stick.  If you use too much, it can 'capture' dirt and dust and eventually make the situation worse.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
To lubricate your joystick, KY works well...oh wait...wrong joystick.

Okay, for the joystick you use to play AH, use a silicon based lubricant that you can find at any hardware store or auto-part store.  Just make sure that you do not get any of the lubricant on any of the electronics and wipe away any excess lubricant.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
I used garage door opener grease on my old X-45's.   I applied it with a Q-tip and it lasted about 6 months each time.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »
Try a silicone grease. You can usually find it in the plumbing section of a hardware store. Sometimes it comes in a little tube, sometimes a little tub. A little dab'll do ya. It's a non-petroleum based product. Why this is important is because a standard type of grease that is a petroleum based product, will tend to act as a solvent when put in direct contact with a plastic--which is also a petroleum based product. Over time bad things will happen to the plastic that might include softening or turning very brittle depending on the types of plastic and the grease used. It's also bad on things like neoprene rubber (another petro product) o-rings. Tends to break them down fairly quickly. I use the silicone grease on them also and never have that issue.

I've used silicone plumbing grease on my old analog TM Elite pedals (that I run through a radio shack USB adapter) for years with no problems. That I'm still using those pedals oughta tell you how long I've had em :D. I take them apart to clean the pot now and then and re-apply the grease. Just did that about a month ago and everything looks great. I also use it on my CH stick rig, same deal.

Silicone. And you thought it was just for boobies.  :devil

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:35 AM »
Available at Home Depot

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty