Author Topic: Laptop shutting down?  (Read 942 times)

Offline McWeed

• Zinc Member
Laptop shutting down?
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
High Aces  :salute hope all is well in your world today

im a new flyer still on free trial,  i did do a bit of reading before i joined. i read where CH is the way to go with equipment so i got

a fighterstick / have pedals in transit via fedex / still looking for a deal on a throttle.

last night my stick arrived so i downloaded ah, i managed to take-off and fly a few times but my laptop is getting hot and just

shuts down right in the middle of a mission.

im just guessin here, but im fairly certain it has something to do with that big-ass joystick?  i still need to plug-in pedals and possibly

a throttle.  what do i need to do to resolve this issue?
ty - mcweed

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Laptop shutting down?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »
The USB devices you plug in shouldn't effect core temp in any way.  You might have a fan that is no longer working.  AH is processor heavy but so are most programs. 

You started your trial?  Darnit....  I always advise people to play offline a few weeks before using the trial.   :salute
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »
get a desk top
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »
there are few acceptional laptops that play AH well, I consider myself fortunate with my inspiron 9100, runs AH great just a tad low on the graphical end  :bhead

I agree with the advice of getting a desktop, at least you can upgrade more than the ram at a much lower cost, vs laptops upgrade can be more than double and at time your better off replacing.  save your laptop for the word documents and talking ont the BBS when away from home and unable to fly!   :airplane:
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
I know that laptop (circa 2004)  Weighs 10 pounds right?   :D

there are few acceptional laptops that play AH well, I consider myself fortunate with my inspiron 9100, runs AH great just a tad low on the graphical end  :bhead

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
I know that laptop (circa 2004)  Weighs 10 pounds right?   :D

mine?  yeah man I can't believe it, it's like a sumo wrestler sat on a desktop and what was left was my laptop.... lol ten pounds, 5 usb's analog and digital monitor hookups, interchangable floppy drives, 2 fans, and a burned out display bulb! curently hooked up to a Vizio 48" monitor/tv great for AH, at least untill I get more funds toward my desktop... <S>

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »
High Aces  :salute hope all is well in your world today

im a new flyer still on free trial,  i did do a bit of reading before i joined. i read where CH is the way to go with equipment so i got

a fighterstick / have pedals in transit via fedex / still looking for a deal on a throttle.

last night my stick arrived so i downloaded ah, i managed to take-off and fly a few times but my laptop is getting hot and just

shuts down right in the middle of a mission.

im just guessin here, but im fairly certain it has something to do with that big-ass joystick?  i still need to plug-in pedals and possibly

a throttle.  what do i need to do to resolve this issue?
ty - mcweed

Goto Start/run/ and type in dxdiag After it finishes running, there is a button near the bottom that says something like"save in as text" Click that and save the file to your desktop. Goto the file you just created and double click it to open it. It may ask "what do you want to open this with" choose notepad and open it. Highlight and copy the first third of the info down to and including "Sound Devices" and then paste it here.

This is the info about your laptop. With this info the people here might be able to help you figure out what the problems is easier.

Good luck and welcome to Aces High!

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
Check your CPU heatsink.  Make sure it's clean and that air flows though it.  My wife's laptop was shutting down often, and when I looked inside, there was this funky layer of dust-bunny grunge blocking the air flow.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
Check your CPU heatsink.  Make sure it's clean and that air flows though it.  My wife's laptop was shutting down often, and when I looked inside, there was this funky layer of dust-bunny grunge blocking the air flow.

fixed  :aok lol

Offline McWeed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
if the cleaning the heatsink dont work, i do have a desktop  thanks for all the help.

now if i can just keep from crashin and gettin shotdown :D

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »
practice practice practice,   few get kills in there first weeks of playing and some months...  remember  this is a game of your personal skill as a cartoon pilot. your cartoon pilot doesn't get better. so be patient and go to the training areana, ive been flying on and off for 4 years now and still meet people in the training areana to get a grip on acm's

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
My G/F's ten pound beast-of-a-laptop was having similar issues.  It wasn't used that much and really wasn't that old, but one of the fans inside was making a tap-tap-tap noise and it kept overheating and shutting down.

I took it apart only to find out that it only has one fan inside, and this fan is installed onto a tube that blows over the processor, cmos, and video chips.  I ended up having to shell out $25 for a new fan (special order because of its weird design).  I also found that the thermal-compound that was installed between the tube (which also acts as the heatsink) and those chips was completely dried up so I gently had to clean all of that off and apply some new thermal compound.

That thing was a HUGE PITA to put back together, but it works well now.  It has plenty of empty space.. I'm really surprised they didn't try to squeeze another fan in there somewhere!  It's not like it's designed to conserve power or anything with its huge screen and high performance graphics chip (at least for its day).

As far as the joystick, yeah it shouldn't be an issue unless it's just sucking too much juice from the USB system.  Laptops aren't known for being real strong in that area.  I'd recommend an external powered USB hub.

Offline harley

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
i have the same problem with my dell inspiron 17 i just put a external fan on the desk along with a cool pad and keep an eye on the temp when the keyboard gets hot i let the fan blow across it for a few min seems to work well.

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »
I had similar problem with my travel/gaming laptop and it was the gpu. I had to flash a new bios and lower the graphics settings. Now it is ok. It's an Asus G73.