Author Topic: Japonese planes  (Read 2162 times)

Offline mausil

• Zinc Member
Japonese planes
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
for the rest of this tour Im going fly Japonese Fighters

any hint/sugestion about any of them ki84 61 zeke etc?  :airplane:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:54:31 AM by mausil »
MAUSIL

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Japonese planes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
for the rest of this tour Im going fly Japonese Fighters

any hint/sugestion about any of them ki84 61 zeke etc?  :airplane:

the 84 is the best of the bunch  :aok

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
Ki84 can be a monster if you fly it to its strengths.  But if you are one of those folks who likes to come in above the fight and pick, then I would suggest that you might like the Ki61 or N1K better.  The Ki84 doesn't like to dive all that much.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
The dive is great.

It's just really hard to pull OUT of the dive without any control surfaces.

:noid

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
Ki84 can be a monster if you fly it to its strengths.  But if you are one of those folks who likes to come in above the fight and pick, then I would suggest that you might like the Ki61 or N1K better.  The Ki84 doesn't like to dive all that much.

:headscratch:
thing dives just fine....that's like saying the 38 don't like diving, just gotta control your speed is all :salute

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »

:headscratch:
thing dives just fine....that's like saying the 38 don't like diving, just gotta control your speed is all :salute

Guess I could have worded it better to be more clear.  I agree.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
Guess I could have worded it better to be more clear.  I agree.

what we could say is this

if your a HO dweeb take N1K

if your a BnZ dweeb take the 61

if your a turn and burn dweeb take ether A6m's

if you are a Fighting dweeb take the 84

:D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
I don't see why you say the Ki61 is good for BnZ... It does lock up at speeds. While it can dive faster than an A6M, I doubt dive speeds are any better than the N1K2. The firepower, the ability to zoom, turn, climb, are all greatly diminished compared to both Ki-84 and N1K2.

It CAN bounce other planes. It just can't do it as well as some others.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »
I don't see why you say the Ki61 is good for BnZ... It does lock up at speeds. While it can dive faster than an A6M, I doubt dive speeds are any better than the N1K2. The firepower, the ability to zoom, turn, climb, are all greatly diminished compared to both Ki-84 and N1K2.

It CAN bounce other planes. It just can't do it as well as some others.

I was being a bit facetious :P

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
The dive is great.

It's just really hard to pull OUT of the dive without any control surfaces.

:noid

Last w/e was a Ki practice for me  - and I noticed the frailty in pullout and of the control surfaces. A quick read says the control surfaces were fabric-covered, and doubtless quite susceptible. I give Dale " The Man" and his fun-loving and highly skilled lackeys big ups for apparent correct modeling of that frailty.  

I note, however, that, at least in Wiki, armament is cited to potentially include a 2x20mm/2x30mm combination. We don't have that, if  I recall my hangar loadout options correctly...

B29s would have good reason to fear such a combination.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Last w/e was a Ki practice for me  - and I noticed the frailty in pullout and of the control surfaces. A quick read says the control surfaces were fabric-covered, and doubtless quite susceptible. I give Dale " The Man" and his fun-loving and highly skilled lackeys big ups for apparent correct modeling of that frailty.  

I note, however, that, at least in Wiki, armament is cited to potentially include a 2x20mm/2x30mm combination. We don't have that, if  I recall my hangar loadout options correctly...

oh man can you imagine two 30 mm  on a KI-84 :O

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
oh man can you imagine two 30 mm  on a KI-84 :O

Looks like it was only available on the Ic - and probably never saw squad strength service. Chalk another one up for Dale and his Intrepid lackeys ( and I mean it in the best possible way so  :rock awn ).
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
Looks like it was only available on the Ic - and probably never saw squad strength service. Chalk another one up for Dale and his Intrepid lackeys ( and I mean it in the best possible way so  :rock awn ).

hell who im I kidding...id have to roll up on them, on the runway get a foot behind them and then just maybe id hit em :cry

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
I was being a bit facetious :P

oh

Last w/e was a Ki practice for me  - and I noticed the frailty in pullout and of the control surfaces. A quick read says the control surfaces were fabric-covered, and doubtless quite susceptible. I give Dale " The Man" and his fun-loving and highly skilled lackeys big ups for apparent correct modeling of that frailty. 

I note, however, that, at least in Wiki, armament is cited to potentially include a 2x20mm/2x30mm combination. We don't have that, if  I recall my hangar loadout options correctly...

The majority of planes in WW2 had fabric covered controls. Even late war ones with high-speed performance. None of them magically broke off at 450mph because of this. It's one thing to model locking up of controls (ineffectiveness) but to have them all spontaneously rip off? It's not historically shown to have happened on the Ki nor is it realistic IMO. I'd much rather have stiff/ineffective controls that are still there, than to lose them entirely.

EDIT: The 4x20mm loadout would be much more likely to make it in game, if you can find any evidence it saw combat. A couple hundred made but where they went and what they were used for is in doubt.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »
I broke a wing on pullout and had my control surfaces shot off a number of times. I do recall losing a ki rudder at about 450 once - but not ailerons or elevators.

And yes, many did have fabric surfaces yet the ki's do seem more frail.  I cannot find anything in search that addresses this frailty, though engine and langing gear strut failures are noted as some of the a/c's historical difficulties  - both of which appear to be either design or mfg. quality issues and so should not be picked up in the fm at all.

I'm wondering, at this point, about the cs mounting structure or perhaps t/c as a possible cause of the frailty. Perhaps one of the COADERS might answer..? I really don't know how AH models structural limits - but I'm painfully aware they exist in-game, as any high-g pullout in a Spit XIV can verify.