Author Topic: WW1 Camel vs DR1  (Read 772 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
WW1 Camel vs DR1
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
Can the camel win this fight?

I am going to go out on a limb and say no, at least not from a 1v1 co-alt & E standpoint.

A fair proportion of the DR1 "aces" actually refuse to even fight co-alt at all from a 1v1 standpoint, they just sit up on their perch and do the WW1 equivalent of bore n zoom passes. By which I mean they fly a right hand circle above you until they are in a position to swoop down on your 6, they fire a few rounds and zoom back up above you into another right hand turn (unless you don't manuever at all). So far I haven't really been able to figure out a counter to this in the Camel - if you go to leave they dive in behind you, then zoom back up when you turn around. Any pointers (other than fly something else) would be appreciated. I gotta admit, it is pretty damn boring, and frustrating to boot.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: WW1 Camel vs DR1
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:06:38 AM »
If they keep doing this they will eventually bleed off their energy and be forced to turn fight you, you just need to survive the BnZing long enough.

BTW you can always fly higher.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »
That is the thing, they never run out of energy. They can always keep it and/or build it up faster than I seem to. The "best" ones won't even attempt to saddle up, they'll just fire a few rounds and zoom heavenward again. The others can go into a climbing right hand spiral that I can't stay with in the Camel if they start to find themselves at a disadvantage.

The really odd thing is that I got into a series of several fights with one guy (one who started off actually fighting, until he lost a couple, then it was just right hand spiral climbing for the rest of them) and it seemed like I could gain on him if we went into a series of loops, but if he just went into a climbing right hand spiral I couldn't do a thing to touch him. There were a couple times when he would go into the climbing spiral when he got into a bad spot and I could manage a low yo-yo or two across the circle and land a couple hits, but after a couple of circles I couldn't even get the energy up to do that. So then I'd straighten out so that he could swoop back down onto my 6 and we'd start fighting again (because if I didn't we would just make two stupid little circles in the sky, like the top and bottom of a can).

I could do a couple loops after he came back down and we'd be back to a roughly neutral state, so then he'd go back into the climbing spiral until I gave up and let him back onto my 6.

It actually wasn't too bad, it was sort of fun. Of course, he wasn't that "good" at what he was trying to do, because when "good" pilots do it there is more or less diddly all I can do about it, they never commit to an actual fight. They'll just sit up above you in their circle-jerk of win until you let them have a bore n zoom pass at your 6, then they'll zoom back up to trace little right hand circles in the sky.

And yea, I could fly higher, I could log off and never come back into the arena too. Both of them are viable options, just not exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your wisdom though, I really hadn't though of it.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »
urchin, the camel doesn't have a lot of strengths...especially against the dr1s and dr7s...it's like flying a p-40e in the lwma's, can be fun but victories are few and far between...with the camel, you will rarely win a fight unless you dictate the terms, and patience is a must...since you're usually on the defensive with the camel, you have to use avoidance maneuvers that conserve energy and force the attacker to burn theirs...

i love flying the camel if/when i go into the wwi arena, but i'm too aggressive with it...doesn't matter if i win or lose.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Actually the F1 out turns the D7 turning to the left or right and has a slight climb rate advantage. Compared to the DR1 though, it has very few advantages, where the D7 at least rolls better.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
Dr1 pilots can and do actually loose maneuvering fights until they learn to do nothing but bank right and turn. That is just odd if you ask me.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »
Have you been able to find any sort of counter for it? Looping seems to work at least for a while, at least against the less persistant right hand turners. I haven't really figured out what to do if they just keep doing right hand turns instead of trying to follow me through the loops. It seems like the dr1 can follow a camel through one loop and kill it pretty easily but will lose ground in subsequent loops.

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
DR1 isn't as fast as the Camel.

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:15:59 AM »
i dont like Dr1s, it flys sideways too much :bhead , D7 is the way to go :rock :cheers:
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
Can the camel win this fight?

I am going to go out on a limb and say no, at least not from a 1v1 co-alt & E standpoint.

A fair proportion of the DR1 "aces" actually refuse to even fight co-alt at all from a 1v1 standpoint, they just sit up on their perch and do the WW1 equivalent of bore n zoom passes. By which I mean they fly a right hand circle above you until they are in a position to swoop down on your 6, they fire a few rounds and zoom back up above you into another right hand turn (unless you don't manuever at all). So far I haven't really been able to figure out a counter to this in the Camel - if you go to leave they dive in behind you, then zoom back up when you turn around. Any pointers (other than fly something else) would be appreciated. I gotta admit, it is pretty damn boring, and frustrating to boot.
Depends on the pilot... :headscratch: Right?  :salute
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »
Not really. I'm still not sure, but I am fairly certain the camel will lose this one with equal pilots.