Author Topic: Updated Ride for drunks to jump out of  (Read 2687 times)

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
Re: Updated Ride for drunks to jump out of
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
 :aok
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:59 AM »
Just an FYI: the 37mm's from the Yak9T and P39D/Q fire AP rounds.  All four 37mm's in the game (M8 Greyhound, Il-2, Yak9T, and P39D/Q do the same 17.1 damage to soft objects (ord, fuel, barracks, radar, hangers, etc).  If anyt of them were HE rounds it could be logically assumed that the damage would be higher.

I don't think that's true at all. You're ignoring the fact that damage vs ground objects is nowhere near the level of detail as damage vs planes and other vehicles. This was noted even many years back when the "rounds to kill a hangar" was first introduced as a testing measure.

What you claim is tantamount to saying all the 20mm in the game are the same. Given the evidence so far, HTC doesn't work that way.

EDIT: This page:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/guns/guns.htm
While outdated (not including P-39 guns or IL2's AP loadout) blows your argument out of the water, showing widely different values for the ostwing 37mm HE, the NS37, and the M8's 37mm gun.

EDIT2: heavy caliber AP rounds against fighter planes was not the norm. The heavy round's strength is the explosive content, not the punch-a-bloody-big-hole content. AP would be a waste of a round against another plane in the 37mm size.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:00:07 AM by Krusty »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
I don't think that's true at all. You're ignoring the fact that damage vs ground objects is nowhere near the level of detail as damage vs planes and other vehicles. This was noted even many years back when the "rounds to kill a hangar" was first introduced as a testing measure.

What you claim is tantamount to saying all the 20mm in the game are the same. Given the evidence so far, HTC doesn't work that way.

EDIT: This page:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/guns/guns.htm
While outdated (not including P-39 guns or IL2's AP loadout) blows your argument out of the water, showing widely different values for the ostwing 37mm HE, the NS37, and the M8's 37mm gun.

EDIT2: heavy caliber AP rounds against fighter planes was not the norm. The heavy round's strength is the explosive content, not the punch-a-bloody-big-hole content. AP would be a waste of a round against another plane in the 37mm size.

I'm not going to get in a argument this thread, but the fact remains that all for of the rounds I mentioned do the same exact amount of damage to an OBJ (vs aircraft and gv's are a different story).  The M8 greyhound's AP round and the 3 from the aircraft all do exactly the same, I doubt that in AH the HE and HP shells would do the exact same damage.  I just read 2 different sources and both pointed to the Yak-9T (I did not verify the Il-2, but that should be obvious) and P39x using AP rounds.  They use 2 different cannons with the Soviet NS37 37mm producing about %22 more velocity than the US M4 37mm.  I said nothing about the 20mm rounds, those are quite diverse actually with the best being the Hispano Mk II/M2 (4.03) and the worst being the German MG-FF (3.25) for damages to OBJ. Start a new thread and we can discuss it there.   :aok         
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »
AP rounds for the Yak were so rare they were almost never used. They were never used on the P-39s either. I'm not picking a fight either, you're just drawing the wrong conclusions. You are assuming the larger anti-tank gun round holds the same amount of explosive so the smaller plane-based rounds must also be AP. In fact, it's quite possible that the larger AP round on the tank still holds as much HE content as the HE rounds on fighter aircraft.

HTC does model different rounds. It's one thing they do well. These guns are not the same. No argument, no debate, no "new thread" needed.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »
Listen to Krusty.... he has Mathmatical Techniques named after him in this game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
Listen to Krusty.... he has Mathmatical Techniques named after him in this game.

He is correct on certain things that most people wont argue about.  His fault is that he answers questions that no one asked and also speaks and mis-quotes/assumes for people.   ;)

so.... how about the new goon!   :aok

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Phoenix 7

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
Looks great gentlemen, outstanding job :aok
354th Pioneer Fighter Group

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 11:26:01 PM »
The LI-2 version has defensive guns.......

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 11:55:11 PM »
The LI-2 version has defensive guns.......
As did the L2D2 version, but we aren't getting those.  They'll likely allow skins for them, but they will still be unarmed C-47s.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
 :aok YAY :aok Thank :aok You  :aok HTC  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »
:rofl
when they get the M-18 in aces high it will have a sign on it that says "For BAR only'
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
Very nice job Superfly and beautiful skin Greebo!

Love the weathering! :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
Listen to Krusty.... he has Mathematical Techniques named after him in this game.

As well as a BS scale.   :neener:

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 03:50:10 PM »
Just an FYI: the 37mm's from the Yak9T and P39D/Q fire AP rounds.  All four 37mm's in the game (M8 Greyhound, Il-2, Yak9T, and P39D/Q do the same 17.1 damage to soft objects (ord, fuel, barracks, radar, hangers, etc).  If anyt of them were HE rounds it could be logically assumed that the damage would be higher.  Vs armored targets the Soviet 37mm has a slight advantage over the US 37mm due to velocity, but actual in came armor penetration capability is not known (except for the M8 greyhound).  Sorry for the hijack.  :cheers:

Just an FYI, the only aircraft in game that fires a 37mm AP round is the IL-2.  All the others are firing HE.  I'm not sure whether they swapped them out IRL, but that's what we get. 

There was a big thread on this in the Aircraft and Vehicles forum a while back.

Sweet Goon.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com