Author Topic: M26-Pershing-Tank  (Read 1440 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
M26-Pershing-Tank
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
20 M26 (T26E3) tanks deployed to Europe in January 1945 and saw combat in World War II
A total of 310 T26E3 tanks would be sent to Europe before VE Day,

the T26E3 tanks were first committed to combat on 25 February, with the Third Armored Division, in the fighting for the Roer River. On 26 February, a T26E3 named Fireball was knocked out in an ambush at Elsdorf while overwatching a roadblock. Silhouetted by a nearby fire, the Pershing was in a disadvantageous position. A concealed Tiger tank fired three shots from about 100 yd (91 m). The first penetrated the turret through the machine gun port in the mantlet killing both the gunner and the loader. The second shot hit the gun barrel causing the round that was in the chamber to fire with the effect of distorting the barrel. The last shot glanced off the turret side taking off the upper cupola hatch. While backing up to escape the Tiger became entangled in debris and was abandoned by the crew.[41] Fireball was quickly repaired and returned to service on 7 March.

Shortly afterwards, also at Elsdorf, another T26E3 knocked out a Tiger I and two Panzer IVs. The Tiger was knocked out at 900 yd (820 m) with the 90-mm HVAP T30E16 ammunition.
Photographs of this knocked out Tiger I in Hunnicutt's book showed a penetration through the front gun mantlet.

On 6 March, in the city of Cologne, a T26E3 knocked out a Panther tank in front of the Cologne Cathedral after the Panther had knocked out at least one M4 Sherman. The action was recorded by a Signal Corps cameraman.

On the same day, another T26E3 was knocked out in the town of Niehl near Cologne, by an 88mm self propelled anti-tank gun, at a range of under 300 yd (270 m).There were two other tank engagements involving the T26E3, with one Tiger I knocked out during the fighting around Cologne, and one Panzer IV knocked out at Mannheim.

The T26E3s with the Ninth Armored Division saw action in fighting around the Roer River with one Pershing disabled by two hits from a German 150-mm field gun.

Flying since tour 71.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
Re: M26-Pershing-Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
nice,but ssoooo fre made it to combat,there is a long list of better candidates to get in the game ,like A-10 tank destroyer,the stug assault gun,m-7 bishop/priest,swimmwagan,king tiger,js2,hetzer,jagdpanther(my fav), plus we have no british tanks..m-3 grant,yeah this list IS getting long,you get the idea.

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
+1 ! Then of course we will need the Tiger 2 to combat it   :devil
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
No.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Skulls22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
Ya..... -1
(In game Sparty)
R.I.P. SASFRAS, may you return some day soon
<S>

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
If AH is around long enough I am sure they will add it eventually.  Didn't see much combat but it did see some, managed to get destroyed in combat several times, was deployed in strength just too late to see much action.  A bunch were in transit to Okinawa but didn't get there in time.

If it were put up for a vote then the M26 would be at the top of my list.  We have two T34s, a Panzer, a Panther, a Tiger.....several M4s.  Japanese tanks would be like lightly armored jeeps, just barely.  French tank?  lets not go there.  Brit tanks?  sure Churchill, Cromwell, Matilda.  There is room for all of em eventually.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
Good little clip with some Pershing footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5bJQOkI1g
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »
If AH is around long enough I am sure they will add it eventually.  Didn't see much combat but it did see some, managed to get destroyed in combat several times, was deployed in strength just too late to see much action.  A bunch were in transit to Okinawa but didn't get there in time.

If it were put up for a vote then the M26 would be at the top of my list.  We have two T34s, a Panzer, a Panther, a Tiger.....several M4s.  Japanese tanks would be like lightly armored jeeps, just barely.  French tank?  lets not go there.  Brit tanks?  sure Churchill, Cromwell, Matilda.  There is room for all of em eventually.

Oh come now, all the educated people know that the Char-1B and Somua S-35 were quite able to hold their own, at least in the early war.  Likewise, all the educated people know that it was not the French military that failed to stop the Germans, but rather the lack of inactivity my the French government.  That is not saying that the French would have stopped the Germans, but they could have held out quite a bit longer and done far more damage if the French government would have at least the their military try.

With the new tank interface, I foresee the StuG III very soon.  Perhaps I can see some self propelled artillery in the works like the Priest, Wespe, or maybe a Soviet TD like the Su-100 .  Beyond that, I cant imagine why HTC would add in a Japanese tank with as little as the Japanese deployed them in comparison to infantry, naval, and air forces.  Plus, as mentioned the best Japanese tank (Type 97Shinhoto Chi-Ha) would have AP capability like the 75mm M4A3, the HE performance of the M8, and be the slowest gv in AH at 20mph.  There were only 300 of them produced.       
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:07:14 AM »
Japanese tanks would be like lightly armored jeeps, just barely.  
They weren't that bad.  Bad yes, but better than an M3 and some better armored than an M8.

Certainly no need to add them, but don't undersell them like that.  They undersell themselves quite adequately without any exaggeration needed.  :P

(Interestingly, IIRC, the largest tank attack in the Pacific Theater was by the Japanese.  It didn't do very well, but they tried it.)
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 09:24:52 AM »
+1 to the Pershing :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
They weren't that bad.  Bad yes, but better than an M3 and some better armored than an M8.

Certainly no need to add them, but don't undersell them like that.  They undersell themselves quite adequately without any exaggeration needed.  :P

(Interestingly, IIRC, the largest tank attack in the Pacific Theater was by the Japanese.  It didn't do very well, but they tried it.)
There is a passage in the book "with the old breed" where the author describes a Japanese tank being taken out with rifle fire (obviously a light tank, but still....rifle fire?).  God bless the M1-Garand.

Hopefully AH will have em all before the game is over.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:14:15 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 12:20:41 PM »
Perked like a 262!   :aok

:neener:

QFT...It all came down to the type of warfare encountered... The Japanese needed to be faster and more maneuverable on their island hopping style of base taking (  :D ) since it was so often rugged terrains.  The didn't feel they needed to concentrate on heavy tank design in the early stages of the war and by the end they were much farther behind, it would make little sense redirecting resources.
They weren't that bad.  Bad yes, but better than an M3 and some better armored than an M8.

Certainly no need to add them, but don't undersell them like that.  They undersell themselves quite adequately without any exaggeration needed.  :P

(Interestingly, IIRC, the largest tank attack in the Pacific Theater was by the Japanese.  It didn't do very well, but they tried it.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:28:40 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
Duel at Dessau or "How the Super Pershing beat the crap out of a King Tiger"

ack-ack
I would really like to have the "Super"  but as I understand the rules, it could not be,, although,, the up armour it had installed  could not have been installed in the states   since it was made of "Panther"  plating.  ? :noid

and a high perk price? sure  not a problem either,,  200 perks for a Super pershing, sure why not,,
Flying since tour 71.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »
+1million