Author Topic: Search Engine 'Ask vs Google'  (Read 362 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Search Engine 'Ask vs Google'
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »
 Has anyone tried that 'Ask' Browser yet?  It kept popping up on my Google home page.
I'm trying it out right now.  I do gotta' say that my pages appear to be coming up much faster.
 Hope I'm not having a placebo thing going on.  For the dial-up users though, this may help them
out a little.

Coogan <<---Long time Dial-Up user
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:33:14 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Re: Search Engine 'Ask vs Google'
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Ask browser or Ask search engine?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Search engine...
my mistake.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Are you talking about the ASK toolbar?  If so then stay away.  Most toolbars are more of a hindrance than they are worth!

My g/f and her whole family used to swear by the yahoo toolbar "because it makes things so EASY!", but once I showed them all the goofiness that it does and also set yahoo.com as their homepage, from which they can do EVERYTHING they could do with the toolbar they no longer use it.

If you want to go to ASK.com for searching then by all means feel free to, but there is never any need to download anything to use it.  Anything you download is used by them somehow to make money.  Whether it be collecting your browsing habits, applying pop-up ads to your system or whatever.. to me it's just not worth the hassle.

Even with Internet Explorer, you can go in and manually set ask.com as your default search provider.  Still no need to download anything.