Author Topic: A possible Resupplying squad?  (Read 906 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: A possible Resupplying squad?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
I understand it can be fun from time to time. But how many of us would actually dedicate all our time in AH to resupplying bases and GVs? I do it a few times a month, but I just can't see myself resupplying for hours.
i dont mean it would be the ONLY thing we'd do, it would just be like the main purpose of the squad. like fighter squadrons main purpose is to shoot down other planes. bomber squadrons is to bomb. a resups squad would be to resup bases.

doesnt mean we wouldnt do other things. just like you'll see some of the 91st and other bomber boys in fighters, and vice versa.
 :salute

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »
not a bad idea overall, but i think you will have trouble getting a bunch of guys to join. Your best bet is to have guys,like yourself, who are bored that day, and want a bit of a change, jump into a resup mission. name the squad you want to create something people would recognize. something like 1st resupply battalion, after awhile people will get to know you and what the primary goal is.

I would suggest as/if you get one or two commited people for this, you make them your XO and FO of an 'unofficial' squad.  When anyone of you is online in an arena you can kickoff one of three standard missions for either aerial, ground supply and combined re-supply of either a base or vehicles in the field.  You could also be on call to support a base capture with troops.  Just annouce when you kick off that particular mission and go for your first task.  People can stay associated in the mission and they can join, stay and leave as they wish.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
Hitech was looking at possibly changing the number of runs to resupply objects it would take to make the efforts of those destroying the objects with bombers more equitable. I may get a arse stompin here from Hitech if my gist of his conversation in a strat resupply thread is wrong.

It's always up to the individual player to find fun in this game. You might want to see if Hitech is willing to clarify that he is thinking about changing the amount of effort it will take to resupply objects in the future. I would hate to see this idea broken on the rock of the coad.

Another advertised duty might be always available to run troops for anyone anywhere. There is an art to surprising the enemy with the NOE direction you didn't come from. The unsung heros of WW2 were the unarmed cargo and troop pilots who made everything possible.

Those unsung heros that kept the advance in Europe going when the supply lines were stretched from Normandy to the front in Belgium and Holland before the Lowland ports were freed and openned for Allied shipping was called the Red Ball Express.  I think a catchy name for such a supply oriented group.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
Out of boredom wanting bomber perks, I used to run sups to bases to bring back troops, ammo, etc. There was a group that did this quite often, cant remember who they were though. They were a fun bunch that made the time during trips go by pretty fast
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
i dont mean it would be the ONLY thing we'd do, it would just be like the main purpose of the squad. like fighter squadrons main purpose is to shoot down other planes. bomber squadrons is to bomb. a resups squad would be to resup bases.

doesnt mean we wouldnt do other things. just like you'll see some of the 91st and other bomber boys in fighters, and vice versa.
 :salute

Right I understand. I don't think you'll be able to find a many experienced guys that would be willing to dedicate most of their AH time resupplying . Plus you would want someone who can fight to mainly fight, otherwise it would be a waist of their skill.
As it is much easier to fly cargo than maintain air superiority for example I believe most of the guys that would be interested would be relatively new.  
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »
My squaddie Zester did this in FA...He was looking for something along these lines when he came over but as we know did not find this to be a want or need...He is though, ready and willing to run sups and drunks anywhere...this could be a go for him.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:44 AM »
as soon as we get A2A re-fueling,  I will be willing to employ your services for 250 fighter perks a week to:

A) refuel my plane
B) drive an M3 with supps next to my GV whenever I decide to slum it on the ground.  
C) possible tow truck for those unfortunate occasions ending up short of concrete.
D) BE MY GUNNER!

If the service works well and I am happy with it, I may be looking at a wider contract for the rest of my squad and give you a rise.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:29:55 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:20 AM »
decent idea tyrannis...too bad you don't fly knits.  :D   not sure how many are actually willing to give up the furball to run supplies or drunks for the war heroes but, ya never know on any given night.

As it is much easier to fly cargo than maintain air superiority for example I believe most of the guys that would be interested would be relatively new. 
:headscratch:  not so sure about that...maybe running resupply after a base capture and all cons have been cleared from the airspace but in general surviving long enough to make the drop is low.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett