Author Topic: Idea's involving the GV overhaul.  (Read 493 times)

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
Idea's involving the GV overhaul.
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
Been playing WoT lately and had some ideas. Since the upcoming GV overhaul I was thinking of an idea that would give things such as self propelled guns and scout planes a niche in this game. I thought that if we could put in SPG's like the M8 75mm Howitzer MC we could have an aiming mode similar to World of Tanks.

For those worrying that it could be used as a spotter  for other GV's with the birds eye view of gunning like in WoT, I was thinking that the people gunning would have to have someone spotting for them. This is where the scout plane idea comes in. In order to actually see an enemy in "artillery mode" you would have to have a team mate key them in (I imagine a system like calling a friendlies 6 with the key, but for an enemy) This means that the friendly spotter would also have to have a visual on the enemy as well. I do understand that there is a slight problem with using friendly tanks for spotting since GV's can't see enemy GV icons, so for that I was imagining that you would have to have the spotters main gun right on the enemy before they could call it out, instead of them keying the spotting button willy nilly and eventually keying in an enemy that they didn't actually notice.

The logic of the spotter GV doing this instead of taking the shot himself would be to keep himself among the hidden.

With this system, I would like to toss in 2 vehicles that could be added with this system implementation.

M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage
Year of introduction: 1942
Crew: 4
Combat Weight: 16.5 Tons
Length: 14' 6.75''
Width: 7' 4.25''
Height: 7' 6.5''
Ground Clearance: 6.5''
Speed: 45 mph (on road)
Trench Crossing Ability: 5' 5''
Fording Depth: 2' 6''
Obstacle Ability: 2'
Climbing Ability: 30 degree slope
Radius of action: 180 miles (road)
Fuel Capacity" 89 U.S. gal
Fuel Consumption: 2 MPG
Engine: 2-V-8 cylinder, liquid cooled, Cadillac Series 42
Power (total): 220 hp
Transmission: 6 forward, 1 reverse, hydromatic
Steering: Controlled Differential
Turret: 360 degrees manual traverse
Armor: Hull- Front 38.1 mm; Sides 28.575 mm; Rear 25.4 mm/ Turret- Front 38.1 mm; Sides 25.4 mm
Armament: A -1 75 mm Howitzer M3 -20 to +40 degrees elevation / B -1 M2 .50 cal Machine Gun (pintle)
Muzzle Velocity: A - HE: 1250 ft/sec / B - API: 2900 ft/sec
Ammunition Storage: A - 46 rounds / B- 400 rounds
Production: 1,778 total produced
(Specs taken from Tank Data 2 (Proving Ground Series) by WE inc.)

L-5 Sentinal
Produced: 1942-1945
Number Built: 3,900+
Crew: 2
Length: 24' 1''
Wingspan: 34'
Height: 7' 11''
Wing Area: 155 ft2
Empty Weight: 1550 lb
Loaded Weight: 2020 lb
Engine: Lycoming O-435-1, 185hp
Stall Speed: 42 mph
Range: 375 nautical miles
Ceiling: 15,800 ft
Armament: Good luck with that  :D

Constructive Criticism welcomed, flaming isn't.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Idea's involving the GV overhaul.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
regarding the armament of the sentinel, was it the piper or the sentinel that had bazooka tubes fitted on a couple? and i do agree with you, with the fact that scout planes could/MAYBE should be added... but for that to be even remotely effective, the GV icons would have to be taken away/not shown. so that the scouts would actually have to look for something. just my $.02 worth

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »
regarding the armament of the sentinel, was it the piper or the sentinel that had bazooka tubes fitted on a couple? and i do agree with you, with the fact that scout planes could/MAYBE should be added... but for that to be even remotely effective, the GV icons would have to be taken away/not shown. so that the scouts would actually have to look for something. just my $.02 worth

Or, only scouts would be able to have GV icons and no other aircraft would.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:51:21 PM »
True, rereading it, it seems that the scout plane isn't really useful if any plane could call out coordinates, so it should be a recon only feature.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:20:13 AM »
im prob gonna get flamed for this, but why not add scout planes in AH, and make them similer to the spy planes in the COD games?

where, when you have a scout plane in the air, all gv icons within a 3.0 mile range will show up to the scout plane, and any planes flying within the scout planes 3.0k range. if they are not within the scout range then there icons do not appear. just a thought.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:30:05 AM »
You could also make your own thread for that

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 04:06:51 AM »
"we could have an aiming mode similar to World of Tanks."

Ugh, disgust.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
"we could have an aiming mode similar to World of Tanks."

Ugh, disgust.
hate to do it but...i agree 110%
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Been playing WoT lately and had some ideas. Since the upcoming GV overhaul I was thinking of an idea that would give things such as self propelled guns and scout planes a niche in this game. I thought that if we could put in SPG's like the M8 75mm Howitzer MC we could have an aiming mode similar to World of Tanks.

For those worrying that it could be used as a spotter  for other GV's with the birds eye view of gunning like in WoT, I was thinking that the people gunning would have to have someone spotting for them. This is where the scout plane idea comes in. In order to actually see an enemy in "artillery mode" you would have to have a team mate key them in (I imagine a system like calling a friendlies 6 with the key, but for an enemy) This means that the friendly spotter would also have to have a visual on the enemy as well. I do understand that there is a slight problem with using friendly tanks for spotting since GV's can't see enemy GV icons, so for that I was imagining that you would have to have the spotters main gun right on the enemy before they could call it out, instead of them keying the spotting button willy nilly and eventually keying in an enemy that they didn't actually notice.

The logic of the spotter GV doing this instead of taking the shot himself would be to keep himself among the hidden.

With this system, I would like to toss in 2 vehicles that could be added with this system implementation.

(Image removed from quote.)

M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage
Year of introduction: 1942
Crew: 4
Combat Weight: 16.5 Tons
Length: 14' 6.75''
Width: 7' 4.25''
Height: 7' 6.5''
Ground Clearance: 6.5''
Speed: 45 mph (on road)
Trench Crossing Ability: 5' 5''
Fording Depth: 2' 6''
Obstacle Ability: 2'
Climbing Ability: 30 degree slope
Radius of action: 180 miles (road)
Fuel Capacity" 89 U.S. gal
Fuel Consumption: 2 MPG
Engine: 2-V-8 cylinder, liquid cooled, Cadillac Series 42
Power (total): 220 hp
Transmission: 6 forward, 1 reverse, hydromatic
Steering: Controlled Differential
Turret: 360 degrees manual traverse
Armor: Hull- Front 38.1 mm; Sides 28.575 mm; Rear 25.4 mm/ Turret- Front 38.1 mm; Sides 25.4 mm
Armament: A -1 75 mm Howitzer M3 -20 to +40 degrees elevation / B -1 M2 .50 cal Machine Gun (pintle)
Muzzle Velocity: A - HE: 1250 ft/sec / B - API: 2900 ft/sec
Ammunition Storage: A - 46 rounds / B- 400 rounds
Production: 1,778 total produced
(Specs taken from Tank Data 2 (Proving Ground Series) by WE inc.)

(Image removed from quote.)
L-5 Sentinal
Produced: 1942-1945
Number Built: 3,900+
Crew: 2
Length: 24' 1''
Wingspan: 34'
Height: 7' 11''
Wing Area: 155 ft2
Empty Weight: 1550 lb
Loaded Weight: 2020 lb
Engine: Lycoming O-435-1, 185hp
Stall Speed: 42 mph
Range: 375 nautical miles
Ceiling: 15,800 ft
Armament: Good luck with that  :D

Constructive Criticism welcomed, flaming isn't.
why dont we make it like this, a plane can just drop smoke bombs it alot easier
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:10:57 AM »
I say we try best to remember that AH is not WoT.   ;)  They are 2 very different monsters.

IMO, I think in AH it should be more difficult for aircraft to see gv's in the MA.  The best way to do that is to reduce the icon range from 2000 yards to 1000 yards.  Force the aircraft to actually get close enough to ID the vehicle.  Those players with good enough systems and eyes wont need to get that close.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »
I say we try best to remember that AH is not WoT.   ;)  They are 2 very different monsters.

IMO, I think in AH it should be more difficult for aircraft to see gv's in the MA.  The best way to do that is to reduce the icon range from 2000 yards to 1000 yards.  Force the aircraft to actually get close enough to ID the vehicle.  Those players with good enough systems and eyes wont need to get that close.   
And yet a wirble should still be able to see a plane and range it from 6k?