Author Topic: Boot people who have latency greater than 1.5 sec from the arena  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
I'm sorry but it is impossible to play against people who have huge latency. Certain members know this, yet they continue to play. Its beyond frustrating to try and track a plane that is jumping across the sky like a UFO, and dogfighting is next to impossible.

I say this because certain members know this and they continue to play knowing this.. (and refuse to use dial up which many ISPs providers offer for free with the normal service).

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Boot people who have latency greater than 1.5 sec from the arena
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:52:40 AM »
That could be you they are booting someday, careful what you wish for.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:12 AM »
I'm sorry but it is impossible to play against people who have huge latency. Certain members know this, yet they continue to play. Its beyond frustrating to try and track a plane that is jumping across the sky like a UFO, and dogfighting is next to impossible.

I say this because certain members know this and they continue to play knowing this.. (and refuse to use dial up which many ISPs providers offer for free with the normal service).

I well recall a fight in which I was up against a 190A-8 (in my 109g-14), acquired my opponents six, was about to dispatch the opponent, and then was surprised to see him disappear and then reappear. This happened twice and both times, he snapshot me down. He then apologized via pm for his warpiness and claimed to be having lots of latency issues.

I buy that. It also ticked me off. Everyone has seen a high-latency player now and again and it's annoying as hell and destructive of immersion and play quality.

+1 on your request, you smart-aced youngster.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:19 AM »
500ms would be better ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »
500ms would be better ...

what about bad packet loss with a 130 round trip time on a 30mb down 3mb up connection  :uhoh.

I believe what ardy is wishing for is some sort of monitoring system that will give out "speeding" tickets when either the round trip or packet loss is unacceptable.   Which ever results in guys  zigging 1k a time all over our screens,  taking the subway through the airfield and pulling out the other side 2k away.      etc.

I +1  the wish as long as it designed to get the really bad, continual warpers.   They are detrimental to furballs and gameplay.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:06 AM »
what about bad packet loss with a 130 round trip time on a 30mb down 3mb up connection  :uhoh.

I believe what ardy is wishing for is some sort of monitoring system that will give out "speeding" tickets when either the round trip or packet loss is unacceptable.   Which ever results in guys  zigging 1k a time all over our screens,  taking the subway through the airfield and pulling out the other side 2k away.      etc.

I +1  the wish as long as it designed to get the really bad, continual warpers.   They are detrimental to furballs and gameplay.
only if its for the extreme cases...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »

True.

All player connections from the server's standpoint will eventually experience a latency event no matter how fast whether it's from your computer resizing the pagefile or any other fluke event between your front end and the server.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
ya Ardy.....wireless is ALL that I can get :mad:   

well next time someone is on your six, I wont help or tell ya they are there.....you know due to my lag it wont get to you in time :D

seriously though wireless is all that is possible for some....like me.....and I have fought bad warpers before something that isn't a big deal  :aok

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »
ya Ardy.....wireless is ALL that I can get :mad:    

well next time someone is on your six, I wont help or tell ya they are there.....you know due to my lag it wont get to you in time :D

seriously though wireless is all that is possible for some....like me.....and I have fought bad warpers before something that isn't a big deal  :aok

Wirless as in WiFi lag isn't all that bad, its satellite connections that suck and have 2+ sec latency times. Or are you sarcastically quoting some of the responses you hear on 200 when you call out certain members for constant UFO like warping?

Fine with me, If I'm destroying the experience of everyone else playing then I shouldn't be there. Just make sure a clear error message is presented to the user why they were booted.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:16:23 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
Wirless as in WiFi lag isn't all that bad, its satellite connections that suck and have 2+ sec latency times.
Fine with me, If I'm destroying the experience of everyone else playing then I shouldn't be there. Just make sure a clear error message is presented to the user why they were booted.

I can go from a ping of 200-1000.....it is never stable and sux hard core...but I only get "your warping" occasionally....I hate comcast but miss it at the same time :bhead

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
I can go from a ping of 200-1000.....it is never stable and sux hard core...but I only get "your warping" occasionally....I hate comcast but miss it at the same time :bhead

ahh... then don't worry, your under the threshold, I'm talking about a select few members and I think you know who too.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
I see that some online games (iRacing) don't support satellite connections. Perhaps this is the way to go.

I was fighting a guy the other night, when heading for the merge it became apparent that he was going for the HO shot. No big deal, I made my adjustment and watched him pass harmlessly off my left wing. Once he was ~d800 behind me (heading away) the bullets started hitting my plane. I thought,"whoah, that was a nasty internet hiccup" and continued the fight. A couple turns later I was about to come around on him (so I thought) when more bullets hit and shredded my A/C.

The guy wasn't pointed at me and I never felt like I was in danger.

Next sortie, I'm about to wax the guy when he disappears. I lost sight of him and was shocked when bullets started impacting my A/C again. He magically came through ~300 degrees of turn and ended up on my 5.

I had to check and sure enough, guy had a relatively low score. That doesn't mean much to me, but it got me to thinking. How many players is he doing this to? It is a totally unfair advantage and should be stopped. As it was though, I merely left the area and found a fight elsewhere.

I called him out on 200 but didn't pursue it too far. As far as I know, he's a nice fellow with an internet problem. It sucks for the rest of us, as we can't hit what we can't see and he gets to fly around in some 4th dimension world.
See Rule #4

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:47:08 PM »
I had to check and sure enough, guy had a relatively low score.

Probably because no one can kill him as they can't figure out where he is or where he is going to be, as you discovered the hard way.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
People that fly with a framerate of 5 don't have it easy either though.  It makes them inherently want to boost their bandwidth..... If YOU have never been "the latent" you really shouldn't be barking stuff.   :salute

Probably because no one can kill him as they can't figure out where he is or where he is going to be, as you discovered the hard way.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
It's just funny how some people will only warp when you get on their six.  rest of the time you will see them flying around normally.  then they blame their internet connection.  that's what happened yesterday at the port, i got shot down by somebody that was in front of me then reappeared behind me. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.