Author Topic: Battle of Balikpapan  (Read 2753 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Battle of Balikpapan
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »
The Battle of Balikpapan was the concluding stage of the Borneo campaign (1945). The landings took place on 1 July 1945. The Australian 7th Division, composed of the 18th, 21st and 25th Infantry Brigades, with support troops, made an amphibious landing, codenamed Operation Oboe Two a few miles north of Balikpapan, on the island of Borneo. The landing had been preceded by heavy bombing and shelling by Australian and US air and naval forces. The Japanese were outnumbered and out gunned, but like the other battles of the Pacific War, many of them fought to the death.

Major operations had ceased by July 21. The 7th Division's casualties were significantly lighter than they had suffered in previous campaigns. The battle was one of the last to occur in World War II, beginning a few weeks before the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki effectively ended the war. Japan surrendered while the Australians were combing the jungle for stragglers.

Following the surrender the three Brigades were committed to occupation duties until around February 1946. The 21st Brigade was detached to Makassar in the Celebes Islands to accept surrender of the Japanese forces, release POWs and maintain civil order.

source Wikipedia

Order of Battle

Allied

Royal Australian Air Force

No.2 Squadron (B-25) 12 pilots
No. 21 Squadron (B-24) 12 pilots
No. 75 Squadron (Kittyhawk P-40) 12 pilots
No. 80 Squadron (Kittyhawk P-40) 12 pilots
No. 452 Squadron (Seafire) 12 pilots

13th Air Force (USAAC)

69th Bombardment Squadron (B-25) 12 pilots
371st Bombardment Squadron (B-24) 12 pilots
68th Fighter squadron (P-38) 12 pilots
339th Fighter Squadron (P-38) 12 pilots

USMC

VMF-511 (F4U-1D) 12 pilots
VMF-512 (F4U-1D) 12 pilots
VMTB-233 (TBM-3) 12 pilots

USN

VF-40 (F6F) 12 pilots

Axis

17th Sentai (Ki-61) 16 pilots
26th Sentai (Ki-61) 16 pilots
28th Sentai (Ki-61) 16 pilots
55th Sentai (Ki-61) 16 pilots
56th Sentai (Ki-61) 16 pilots
105th Sentai (Ki-61) 16 pilots

22nd Sentai (Ki-84) 16 pilots
73rd Sentai (Ki-84) 16 pilots
85th Sentai (Ki-84) 16 pilots

245th Kantai (Zeke) 16 pilots
263rd Kantai (Zeke) 16 pilots
299th Kantai (Zeke) 16 pilots
917th Kantai (Zeke) 16 pilots
932nd Kantai (Zeke) 16 pilots
976th Kantai (Zeke) 16 pilots

The Allies had superior aircraft and numbers at this final stage of the conflict.  This Scenario would suppose Japan had enough aircraft to wage one last measure of defense before total defeat.

The Axis would have a slight edge on numbers. The Allies need to strike six targets apiece.

Both CO's would have no restrictions on how to deploy forces to defend and attack the 6 objectives.

This would be a one life event for the air battle.  When a player is done with air battle then they would move to the second part of the battle involving LVT's and M8's.  Each side will have one CV group attacking an enemy port.  Each side will have to split their forces in defending home port and attacking enemy port.  The winner will be the first one to capture the other's port.

I'll throw this one out for consideration.
 :salute

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Battle of Balikpapan
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
I don't know... On the face of it, it's interesting. However there's not much variety on the axis side. Not much mission variety either. BoG was similar except that we had a much wider range of aircraft as the frames progressed. For this, you would have 4 frames all consisting of "Fly a zeke, chase bombers"

It might get too repetitive?

If only we had Ki-44s and other later models of Japanese planes, you could spice it up a little. Maybe throw in some 110Cs as Ki-45s, like the upcoming Rangoon is doing? Or maybe some other substitute filling in for a missing ride?

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
I don't know... On the face of it, it's interesting. However there's not much variety on the axis side. Not much mission variety either. BoG was similar except that we had a much wider range of aircraft as the frames progressed. For this, you would have 4 frames all consisting of "Fly a zeke, chase bombers"

It might get too repetitive?

If only we had Ki-44s and other later models of Japanese planes, you could spice it up a little. Maybe throw in some 110Cs as Ki-45s, like the upcoming Rangoon is doing? Or maybe some other substitute filling in for a missing ride?

Only for 6 groups in Zekes.  The air battle is only half of the fun.  The other is LVT's vs. M8's.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
Wow it sounds like a superb Operation to me!   :banana:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
Only for 6 groups in Zekes.  The air battle is only half of the fun.  The other is LVT's vs. M8's.

See, you started talking about fun, then you went totally off topic to the LVTs and M8s subject.....

:noid

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:07:15 AM »
i wouldnt mind a scenario with a GV in it for once... :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
For once? We've done it many times, actually. There are usually problems inherrent with it. I can recall at least 4 or 5 off the top of my head that had GVs in them, though. That's without going down the list, either.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
Krusty, can you specifically point out anything wrong with my idea?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Krusty, can you specifically point out anything wrong with my idea?

Kuya, my previous post was a response to 321Bar. It wasn't a critique of this setup.

My first post stands. Sounds nice, but seems a bit repetitive with lack of axis planeset. If you can spice that up any, it would only improve it.

I don't like the idea of the port capture in your second life. While I'm not a big fan of that in general, what I specifically don't like is that it is predicated upon random deaths and whoever's available. It's hard or darned near impossible to set any real plan in motion like that.

To much like FSO "time-killer" post-life stuff or like MA missions, rather than an organized scenario.

I'd say for a scenario you'll need to specifically place folks in those units. Or designate an entire squadron of pilots (i.e. pull one of the P-40E units) and put them in those for their first life. That way plans can be made, players can be relied upon, etc. After that, they can second-life in their original ride, maybe. Or just have dedicated GV units that don't fly planes at all, maybe.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »
My idea was to throw an idea and let the CM's tweak it into a workable Scenario.  They have the experience for things like that.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
I like the idea on it's face with the Zeros. With the new zero's in the works, A6m2, A6M3, A6M5B...there are opportunities to use older models for a few units....or as replacement planes for folks shot down-second sorties.
Simulates "my primary ride is in the shop"  :) Might also make me fly smarter knowing I may have to "downgrade"!   :O

I like it AKKuya..  :aok

EDIT: In the event the GVs are not written into it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:55:42 AM by K-KEN »

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
I like it, sans one little item. The second life as a GV. Maybe just have a few (three) units do the one life plane and the second life in a GV. Then all the other units could do a normal two life scenario.

But I love the idea, heck anything in the PTO/CBI area is right up my alley. I'd fly it!

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
My idea was to throw an idea and let the CM's tweak it into a workable Scenario.  They have the experience for things like that.

I don't always agree with Krusty, but please don't think he hasn't the experience to critique your scenario idea. He has been around the scenario block a few times.