Author Topic: Deleted my Anti-Virus  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Deleted my Anti-Virus
« on: April 21, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Well need a replacement for sure. Still though AVAST was throwing off dozens of errors. Wouldn't let me into the AH bbs and several other sites. Said AH was a virus and the list went on. Since then my number of kills of gone up and my number of assists have gone down.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Deleted my Anti-Virus
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
micro soft security essentials...threatfire....ma lwere bytes anti malware(sp?).......the last one anti malware(sp?) was the only one that was able to find and remove a virus I had gotten.

Eset=sux
AVG=sux
AVAST=sux

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
micro soft security essentials...threatfire....ma lwere bytes anti malware(sp?).......the last one anti malware(sp?) was the only one that was able to find and remove a virus I had gotten.

Eset=sux
AVG=sux
AVAST=sux

I would like another take on this. I error on the side of caution.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
I would like another take on this. I error on the side of caution.

by all means.

this is just my opinion

many like AVG and ESET

personally they didn't find the virus I had anti malware did though.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
I've actually been happy with ESET NOD32.  I'm surprised you had a problem with it Ink. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
Truth be told, there is no one anti-xxxx solution which will always catch everything.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »
by all means.

this is just my opinion

many like AVG and ESET

I fear intrusiveness from MS. So while I do value your opinion I wanted a little more input.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »
I like Microsoft's Security Essentials.  It's fairly non intrusive and isn't a resource hog (and free).  I've been running it on 4 machines without issues.  The only time that one got a bug was due to my brother's unsafe browsing practices.   He tends to get bugs on any machine he touches though, so it was expected.   :bhead
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Truth be told, there is no one anti-xxxx solution which will always catch everything.

that's why I use all three that I listed...... I shoulda said that in my original post

I've actually been happy with ESET NOD32.  I'm surprised you had a problem with it Ink. 

ya its supposed to be good but I got a virus that it never found(and allowed to run), but anti malware did, but then again Threatfire didn't find it ether, I was not using the MSE at the time.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »
I've actually been happy with ESET NOD32. 

I've used ESET Smart Security 4 for the last 2.5 years and not a single Virus.    Then again, I have never received a virus ever.   

I just run the Suite and it's done.    I can game with it on and have never had a single pop up yet.    If I did, I sure as hell wouldn't be pissed as it would notify me of an intrusion.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:31 PM »
I use kaspersky. Kaspersky has game mode and sandboxie. I am not doing any gaming and never used the mode when I did. I do use sandboxie at times and I am used to the GUI of kaspersky and been happy with the software.

Skuzzy says it correct anyway in above post.

I have never used eset , but comes highly recommended in these forums.

I used to use a program called returnil. The software creates a virtual OS of the operating OS in your PC. I liked the software for web browsing, email which might raise a eyebrow. I use sandboxie now.

AV may not detect all malware either. A while back I ended up with malware  called fakealert. I ended up using counterspy trial version to find and remove it.

As said before, good browsing habits is a big plus.

I also don't use MS system restore in thier OS. I use other software for backing up.

I am not endorsing Kaspersky or any other AV, just my experience, my penny and a half.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »
I don't use an AV. I just watch what I download. I have Malwarebytes installed in case.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
I use Avira, but good surfing habits are much more important than a good anti-virus.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
by all means.

this is just my opinion

many like AVG and ESET

That because no AV is foolproof against everything. And its always a good idea to keep at least the free version of malwarebites on your machine and updated.
If ALL you have is malwarebytes on our machine. You will almost certainly leave yourself open to something else. But MB combined with ESET is a damn good combo.

BTW most malware infections are due to user....error. To be polite about it.

I've never known a single person that got maleware on a machine where someone didnt click when they shouldnt have clicked anything at all.

Usually because the people who got it didnt know what to do

The most frequent I've seen are the ones that advertise themselves as an anti virus window.

Close the browser from task manager or shut down the machine via the power switch. will oftewn stop it in its tracks before it can do anything
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »
That because no AV is foolproof against everything. And its always a good idea to keep at least the free version of malwarebites on your machine and updated.
If ALL you have is malwarebytes on our machine. You will almost certainly leave yourself open to something else. But MB combined with ESET is a damn good combo.

BTW most malware infections are due to user....error. To be polite about it.

I've never known a single person that got maleware on a machine where someone didnt click when they shouldnt have clicked anything at all.

Usually because the people who got it didnt know what to do

The most frequent I've seen are the ones that advertise themselves as an anti virus window.

Close the browser from task manager or shut down the machine via the power switch. will oftewn stop it in its tracks before it can do anything

thanx for tips...and ya I know it's user error :uhoh