Author Topic: A funny thing happened on my way...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: A funny thing happened on my way...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:15:26 PM »
 Keep film on. Canceling it after each flight 100 times is worth it when you have that 1 flight you wanna see again.

~AoM~

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
Grizz I have also hit the ground in a 262 at very high speed and only lost an engine, as well as prop planes, it's pretty rare though.  Go offline for a bit and try, I think you'll get it.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I always love the "Chang" when I bounce off the top of gv in plane :rofl

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
I used to have auto film turned on but 99% of the time there's nothing I want to save so it just becomes annoying.  Then I run into a rare instance like this and wish I did have it on.

Keep auto-film on. Something happens that you want to save hit Alt-R and save the film. Then hit Alt-R again.

That way everything is always at the end of each film. 
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »
Last night I was playing on the Baltic map and decided to take a 262 out for a spin.   :airplane:  There had been a pretty good fight going between the Bish and the Nits in the NW corner of the map so I headed toward the Nit base.

I like to fly the 262 at around 10K to start so I'm between the high guys and the low guys and the bases in that corner of Baltic are around 4K so I was flying at 14K when I got to the Nit base.

So I'm cuising along near 500 mph at 14K looking around, dipping a wing to see what's below me when I spot a 110 just off the runway and almost directly below me.  I chop throttle and dive in.   :joystick:  I get close, fire a shot and try to pull out.  Uh Oh.   :uhoh  Quick to the trim tabs I trim elevator all the way up.  The nose starts to respond as I brace for the inevitable.  I hear a noise.   :confused:  I'm climbing again!  :banana:  I check the damage and my left engine is gone.  :furious  I must have whacked the ground with it!  I can't even blame it on a tree because I was headed to an open area.

I think the other engine was also damaged as I couldn't hold more than 325 mph in level flight after that and when I did land I couldn't shut it off.  At least I got it home.   :aok

Man I wish I filmed my sorties.  I'd like to see that one close up.  

lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Grizz I have also hit the ground in a 262 at very high speed and only lost an engine, as well as prop planes, it's pretty rare though.  Go offline for a bit and try, I think you'll get it.

If more than one person can verify it I believe it.  I was assuming that baldeagl actually received damage elsewhere to the engine, not on the ground, and I did not mean to infer he made up the story, if it came off sounding that way.  That's pretty incredible though, I wish there was film.  :cry

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
Good story and lucky on the recovery: Had that been me, I would have set a depth record for plowing a plane into the ground  :rofl

I have couple of similiar stories one with the 262 and the other in a 152:

262: I was up to about 30K trying to catch up with a huge buff mission. I was able to get one kill before I was going to run out of fuel. On the way down, I was compressing big time, had to cut engines, do the trim and lots of cursing (mixed with laughing) and finally was recover.

152: I was about 14K or so and harassing set of buffs. I forgot the 152 goes into a nasty spin at times like the Mossy. I was going vert and end up going into flat spin. I was using rudder, trim, anything I could think of. FInally I was able to get the nose sideways, kicked out my gears and able to get control of my plane at about...1K.
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
have bounced a couple planes off the ground at high speeds and limped back home or was able to ditch. a couple i just would have rather blown up so i could just get the next sortie started.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
Damaged but working engine that wont shut off? :huh

happens with the 38 some times too.

Shift 1 to select engine #1, shift 2 to select engine #2, control E to control all engines again. Shift E to restart and control both engines again.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!