Author Topic: A funny thing happened on my way...  (Read 1162 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
A funny thing happened on my way...
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
Last night I was playing on the Baltic map and decided to take a 262 out for a spin.   :airplane:  There had been a pretty good fight going between the Bish and the Nits in the NW corner of the map so I headed toward the Nit base.

I like to fly the 262 at around 10K to start so I'm between the high guys and the low guys and the bases in that corner of Baltic are around 4K so I was flying at 14K when I got to the Nit base.

So I'm cuising along near 500 mph at 14K looking around, dipping a wing to see what's below me when I spot a 110 just off the runway and almost directly below me.  I chop throttle and dive in.   :joystick:  I get close, fire a shot and try to pull out.  Uh Oh.   :uhoh  Quick to the trim tabs I trim elevator all the way up.  The nose starts to respond as I brace for the inevitable.  I hear a noise.   :confused:  I'm climbing again!  :banana:  I check the damage and my left engine is gone.  :furious  I must have whacked the ground with it!  I can't even blame it on a tree because I was headed to an open area.

I think the other engine was also damaged as I couldn't hold more than 325 mph in level flight after that and when I did land I couldn't shut it off.  At least I got it home.   :aok

Man I wish I filmed my sorties.  I'd like to see that one close up.  
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Re: A funny thing happened on my way...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
Lucky man you are.  :aok
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
Those are one of those   :bhead    moments.  I seem to have them quite a bit.  My biggest problem in AH is I forget that the "patience is virtue" maxim is tried and true.  :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
Hmmmm.  This story seems suspect.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »
Damaged but working engine that wont shut off? :huh

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Karma slapped you for trying to vulch. :D

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
Damaged but working engine that wont shut off? :huh

happens with the 38 some times too.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
Hmmmm.  This story seems suspect.

I couldn't even make that up.  There was a friendly bomber inbound as I was leaving wanting me to do something but I told him I smacked the ground and lost an engine.

Almost more amazing than it happening is that HT actually coded for that possibility.  In fact now that I think about it I have hit a prop on a tree in the game before, bent it which then killed my engine, and it sounded a lot like that.

Anyway, the perk gods were looking over me last night.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
Did you fly over the base?  Hitting a jet engine on the ground going 600 mph and it not being insta tower I find hard to believe.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Did you fly over the base?  Hitting a jet engine on the ground going 600 mph and it not being insta tower I find hard to believe.

No and that's another funny thing.  Damage control was telling me only one engine was damaged but it seemed like the other also had minor damage but regardless, I wasn't trailing any type of smoke.  The air was a clear behind me as if nothing had happened.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »

Especially since the added the new modeling that you cant make those 500mph ditch no gear landings anymore.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
There is no "Minor" Damage, either you have an oil/radiator leak, or your engine is lifeless. Hitting a prop on a tree is one thing, hitting a jet engine on the ground, which is pretty much your entire plane, is insta-death.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Auto film works wonders.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
I'm a little surprised that you don't have auto film turned on for how strictly you enforce filming in dueling matchups.   ;)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
I used to have auto film turned on but 99% of the time there's nothing I want to save so it just becomes annoying.  Then I run into a rare instance like this and wish I did have it on.