Author Topic: flew a t-6 texan this morning.  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
flew a t-6 texan this morning.
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
thought I would share my observations for anyone interested in this type of stuff.

was throwing the plane around like I was in an imaginary dogfight. truth be told its not far off from AH with combat trim on. controls were very light and responsive with no noticable trim needed in the dive and climbing aspects of basic fighter maneuvers. though my adrenalin was probably going so high I wouldnt have noticed if there were.

did some stall climbs and dives simulating BnZ and rope a dopes. you can really hear the wind past 160 or so the green arc ends around 200 if I remember correctly but I stayed below it to be nice to the classic warbird.

even at these lower speeds you can really feel the G's in  steep turn. I didnt look at the G meter till after we were returning to the airport but it was maxed at 4gs probably on the loops as most of the other stuff was lower G maneuvers of posibly 3g or whatever it is the average steep sustained turn pulls.

the instructor basically gave me free reign of the airplane and I was off to basic fighter maneuvers land. did a few show stunts like 4 point roll and stuff though but I was kind of wishing there was another t6 in the air to play fighter pilot with.

I was very interested in how it handled the common fighter maneuvers I use most often in Aces High.

one maneuver the instructor did that I didnt try was a spin which the t6 seemed to enter and exit without any fuss at all.

all in all I think Aces High does a satisfactory job and compares well to an actual warbird be it the t6 was a big heavy advanced trainer.

AH being by its nature a flight simulator you are sitting still in front of your pc and the seat of the pants visceral nature of the actual beast is quite overpowering in reality and can not yet be duplicated in the virtual arena.

the vibration and noise is deafening and being in the back seat without the map or GPS I pretty quickly got the I do not know where I am feeling from the clouds and the terrain below as we were playing at 5000 feet.

after about 30 minutes of heavy maneuvering I was quite tired and drenched with sweat from the exertion of the G's and the sun beating through the greenhouse canopy.

we turned back to the airport and the decent down to 1500 feet from 5000 with the speed at the top of the green arc the sense of speed from the sound and vibration of the wind was very noticible.

I didn't try the takeoff or landing portions of the flight though so I can't comment on its handling though from the back seat following on the controls the control inputs felt similar to what I experience in a J-3 cub. though the j-3 cub I've been flying is 85HP and 800 lbs and this t-6 is 600hp and about 5000 lbs.

not me in the video though it is the same airplane I flew in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6zn0HxCbng

the veiw from the rear seat in the video is the same one I was experiencing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:05:31 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: flew a t-6 texan this morning.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
Show off!!  Good stuff :aok

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »
pictures
-AoM-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
Nice!  Great post.

I'll see what I can do in a 38 year old Cessna 150.  If I dont post my results then you know I ripped the wings off.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
funny you should say that one of the switches on the back left side of the rear cockpit has two positions...

"Wings stay on" <- "Wings fall off"

naturally its left in the wings stay on position for good luck though it can be set to wings fall off without any actual disaster happening  ;)

but it did get a laugh out of me when I saw it.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »
Very nice!   Pictures?   :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
didnt bring a camera will try to next time I go

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »
Nice  :aok
You planing planing on doing it again any time soon?

I know a guy nearby who has a T-6, been planing to do a flight with him for about a month now, hoping to get a chance in the next two weeks.

after about 30 minutes of heavy maneuvering I was quite tired and drenched with sweat from the exertion of the G's and the sun beating through the greenhouse canopy.

:lol I know what you mean
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:45:30 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
The T-6/SNJ is a blast to fly.  Back in '95 I flew Crazy Horse.  A couple days later I flew a T-6 with a WWII vet in the back seat.  We did the basic loop, roll, barrel roll stuff that I had done in the Mustang....I found the T-6 a bit more challenging to fly....the Mustang retains E better, has more power.  I really enjoy the T-6...would own one in a heartbeat...the wife loves the sound of the inertia starter engaging.  :D

Here's some vids from me flying a T-6 a few years ago.  We were doing acro in the moutains east of Anchorage...nice view of the glaciers during the loops and rolls.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
t6s are fun.

HiTech

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
The T-6/SNJ is a blast to fly.  Back in '95 I flew Crazy Horse.  A couple days later I flew a T-6 with a WWII vet in the back seat.  We did the basic loop, roll, barrel roll stuff that I had done in the Mustang....I found the T-6 a bit more challenging to fly....the Mustang retains E better, has more power.  I really enjoy the T-6...would own one in a heartbeat...the wife loves the sound of the inertia starter engaging.  :D

Here's some vids from me flying a T-6 a few years ago.  We were doing acro in the moutains east of Anchorage...nice view of the glaciers during the loops and rolls.

Jealousy, while a very ugly emotion, is all I'm feeling right now.  So HT when do I get that ride in your RV?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
Hey Im curious how much did that run cost?

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
    :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
Hey Im curious how much did that run cost?

Usually the cost is a bit more than the horsepower. The AT-6 that I'm planing on flying is $700/hour (instructor, parachute, and fuel is included).
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »
Very cool.... thanks for posting.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)