Author Topic: DA42 NG  (Read 7201 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
DA42 NG
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
Starting August I'll be flying it for the next three years  :x
(Just finished all the paperwork yesterday)

(not this particular one)

Austro Engine AE 300 Turbo-Diesel engines with counter rotating props
G1000
GFC700
FMS (Flight Managment System)
SVT (Synthetic Vision Technology)
ADSB (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast)
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
Re: DA42 NG
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
nice :aok
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
Congrats! :rock
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
Strange designed.  Hope you have fun.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:17:23 PM »
Strange designed.  Hope you have fun.

The Diamonds do have a rather unique shape, but I flown a lot of their aircraft and I can not complain. They handle great.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
have fun with that.... makes Michael Jackson's nose look normal...

instructing in it?
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
 :aok :cheers:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
Damn thats a perty plane. What do you do?

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
instructing in it?
What do you do?

I apologize my OP was a bit misleading, I am not buying it. I'll be using it to get my ME, IFR, commerical, CFI & CFII ratings.
ERAU is buying four of them. They established a rule that you can use it to only get your ME (which is a four month course) everything else your supposed to do in a 172. Before that rule officially took effect I managed to get permission (on paper) to use the DA42 for all courses. 
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
I apologize my OP was a bit misleading, I am not buying it. I'll be using it to get my ME, IFR, commerical, CFI & CFII ratings.
ERAU is buying four of them. They established a rule that you can use it to only get your ME (which is a four month course) everything else your supposed to do in a 172. Before that rule officially took effect I managed to get permission (on paper) to use the DA42 for all courses. 

Four months for a multiengine rating?  When I was a full time CFI I'd block out a week and 15 hours for my students to add it on and still come in under budget.

What in the hell are they having you do for four months?  I run out of BS on the second days ground briefing.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »
Four months for a multiengine rating?  When I was a full time CFI I'd block out a week and 15 hours for my students to add it on and still come in under budget.

What in the hell are they having you do for four months?  I run out of BS on the second days ground briefing.

Don't ask. I came to ERAU with my PPL it took me over a half a year to prove them that I can fly (and to take their transition course  :bhead), and I had to pay for everything. 
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
Lots of people have poo-pooed the Austro diesel engines.

But with 100LL going away, and at $5-6 a gallon, and high octane mogas with ethanol in it, I think that diesel might just be the future in GA, I like them anyway.  Not to mention the ability to run Jet-A and save 40% on fuel costs.

Have fun.  :aok

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »
Lots of people have poo-pooed the Austro diesel engines.

But with 100LL going away, and at $5-6 a gallon, and high octane mogas with ethanol in it, I think that diesel might just be the future in GA, I like them anyway.  Not to mention the ability to run Jet-A and save 40% on fuel costs.

Have fun.  :aok

It's not exactly 40% cheaper, more like 40 sense. But the diesel engine has less parts which makes it more reliable, sure it's turbocharged but if you loose the turbocharger the engine would still work.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
It's not exactly 40% cheaper, more like 40 sense. But the diesel engine has less parts which makes it more reliable, sure it's turbocharged but if you loose the turbocharger the engine would still work.

Guess it varies by area, last time I looked around here (KSLC), 100ll was like $6.49 and Jet A was $4.99.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »
Guess it varies by area, last time I looked around here (KSLC), 100ll was like $6.49 and Jet A was $4.99.

It must have been a while  ;)
KSLC:
AVfuel- 100LL: 7.30 JetA: 6.48
Chevron- 100LL: 6.99 JetA: 6.48
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn