Author Topic: GV Help Needed  (Read 1533 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
GV Help Needed
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
Ok I'll admit it after 4 years and spending countless hours mastering the craft of GV'ing in Aces High I am now back to beginner status.  I tried a tank battle last night and was so busy just trying to drive and not hit anything, that shooting at the enemy was near impossible. The ranges are different now due to the zoom changes, so I was missing everything.  Certainly killed a lot of grass!  LOL  I will not whine, however I am going to need some help.

First thing is some recommended stick/keyboard/mouse setups from some of you other folks out there to help me out.  I used to have all of my GV functions mapped to the X52.  Your ideas are appreciated.

Second thing is how on earth does one use the mouse to aim and fire?  Can you program a mouse button for firing guns?  Can you program another for zoom?  Will this screw up my use of normal mouse tasks by using the mouse?

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: GV Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
To elaborate on this, where are the instructions for the new controls?   For example, I can no longer adjust gunsight zoom.  Not sure if this is intentional or a controls change. 

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
To elaborate on this, where are the instructions for the new controls?   For example, I can no longer adjust gunsight zoom.  Not sure if this is intentional or a controls change. 

As far as the zoom only three tanks still have this capability the Tiger, Panther & Firefly.  All other tanks optics is pretty much "what you see is what you get".  I believe the C & V buttons control the optic zoom mode on the above mentioned tanks.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
"C" and "V" only appear to adjust the gunsight reticles in certain tanks (such as Panther), and have no apparent effect on zoom/magnification.  I am currently testing a Panther, and my joystick zoom toggle mapping still works, but the zoom is fixed (no zoom/magnification adjustment from the square brackets as previously). 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:08:44 AM by TDeacon »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
"C" and "V" only appear to adjust the gunsight reticles in certain tanks (such as Panther), and have no apparent effect on zoom/magnification.  I am currently testing a Panther, and my joystick zoom toggle mapping still works, but the zoom is fixed (no zoom/magnification adjustment from the square brackets as previously). 

You are correct in your assessment.  It is either on or off.  No in between or adjustment on the zoom now.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:16:33 AM »
"on or off" true, but the more significant thing is that the degree of zoom is minimal.  Thus long-range observation would appear to be out.  Unfortunately for me, I have poor eyesight and a smallish monitor.   Hmmm...

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Have you tried going out to the woodshed first?

You know.  To clear your head...   :devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
On my CH Fighterstick I use the 3 of the 4 way buttons for forward, back and engine start/stop

On my Saitek throttle I have a 4 way for turn left, turn right, gunner view and commander view - so I can drive and view on my left hand leaving right hand for turret move and firing

I also have a button on the x52 throttle for quick acceleration (I normally just use this to start unless there is a  baddy near) and on the CH for pintle view

My pedals ARE REDUNDANT (sorry)
Game ID: Blimey

Offline DoubleEagle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:20:31 AM »
There was info in the readme about the new version.

They've disabled zooming in and out with most tank gun sights, I.E. position 2 in the tank.  This simulates that tanks used fixed magnification prisms in their optics.  Some have two sets of prisms you can switch between.  They're the Tiger, Panther, and Sherman Firefly, and they zoom button will work with them to switch between two magnifications.  The rest just make do with the one magnification they've got.  I think they are x5 and x7 magnification, or just x5 if you have a fixed sight.

C and V (and mouse wheel) allow some of the gunsights to be adjustable for range.  That means C and V will make the crosshairs move up or down.  The Tiger, Panther, and Russian tanks have adjustable sights.  Americans and Brits make do with fixed sights with lots of hash marks in view.  You just use a different hash mark to aim if you miss.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
Learning all over again.  I also have the X52 and am slowly learning which buttons to reprogram.

I did start off by going to the mapping section in the map and if you select mode 2 (for GVs), then look to the top left and under default, there is an option to duplicate mode 1.  

I started there so I at least had my VOX set up in GVs.  Then I had to remap a VOX button to my joystick so I could keep my left hand free to drive and steer.

The noob feeling in a GV definately sux...

Trying to get it down so the noobs don't tear me up.   :rofl

The only way I can really zoom in is in commander's position so I need to set up some toggles for quick scouting and recons.

And yes...   ...I am killing the heck out of some grass too.  Too bad we don't get perks for it!   :devil

Good luck!!!  If I learn anything else new, I'll be sure to post it here.

:cheers:
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
Thanks for all the info fellows.  Just found myself a bit humbled by learning something new.  Adding the ability to turn with the rudders is the best of both worlds for sure and will make for some great GV'ing!  See you guys in the mud...

Way

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm far from a GV expert but do enjoy it from time to time, I've been meaning to set aside some time to try and get some ranging information on the M4 sights and see what range the german optics are calibrated at.   If you want to do some testing in the TA give me a shout and I'd be happy to lob rounds at each other to try and get the hang of it. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm far from a GV expert but do enjoy it from time to time, I've been meaning to set aside some time to try and get some ranging information on the M4 sights and see what range the german optics are calibrated at.   If you want to do some testing in the TA give me a shout and I'd be happy to lob rounds at each other to try and get the hang of it. 

You got it Soulyss.  Which M4 are you interested in?  I prefer the Firefly, but will work with whatever to get the practice time.  Let me know what times are good for you during the week...

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »
You got it Soulyss.  Which M4 are you interested in?  I prefer the Firefly, but will work with whatever to get the practice time.  Let me know what times are good for you during the week...

Since I'm a glutton for punishment I usually drive the M4/75mm. :)

Many moons ago (back in AH1 days) a few friends and I authored a GV guide to AH, doing an AH2 update has sort of been a back burner idea for some time now.  With the latest update and new tank sights it seems a prime time to start collecting some data.  Mostly I'm interested in how to range targets with the new main gun sights, I'm happy to start with the Firefly and take it from there.

I have a student session tomorrow night, and non-AH plans Wednesday, would Thursday work?  I'm on pacific time and free any time after 5:00pm my time.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »
Since I'm a glutton for punishment I usually drive the M4/75mm. :)

Many moons ago (back in AH1 days) a few friends and I authored a GV guide to AH, doing an AH2 update has sort of been a back burner idea for some time now.  With the latest update and new tank sights it seems a prime time to start collecting some data.  Mostly I'm interested in how to range targets with the new main gun sights, I'm happy to start with the Firefly and take it from there.

I have a student session tomorrow night, and non-AH plans Wednesday, would Thursday work?  I'm on pacific time and free any time after 5:00pm my time.

Thursday it is Sir.  Mind if I bring any other interested swine along?  I have several avid tankers in the squadron.  All of which could use some practice and think through of the new system.