Author Topic: Special short icon event Thursday night  (Read 856 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Special short icon event Thursday night
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
What I would like to do is set both enemy and friendly icons at 800 yards.

This is an experiment to see what game play would be like under the same short settings for both enemy and friendly icons.

All other settings, including radar will remain the same.

If you would like to try something different, come help me test this setting starting at 9pm est and we will see what it is like together.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Special short icon event Thursday night
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
Dont forget to post this in the General forum. you'll get more people to look at it.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »
 Great idea, Jimson!  I'm out of town Thursday through Saturday.   So, I'll miss it.  Any chance of running it again the early part of next week also?  This sounds like a lot of fun and an interesting twist.  :salute  

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
Any chance of running it again the early part of next week also?  

Sorry, but that sort of thing is up to the staffer who is running the set-up each week.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
What I'd love to see is an icon setting that showed country and/or plane type but didn't have the range information.  I like the effect of no icons on maneuvering during the fight but I find the complete lack of enemy icons to be real put off.  I lose track of opponents in the middle of fights as soon as they dip below the horizon.

Unfortunately I don't think this is available in the arena setup. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:57:02 PM »
It would definitely be cool if we had more options.

Someday maybe.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »
What I'd love to see is an icon setting that showed country and/or plane type but didn't have the range information.  I like the effect of no icons on maneuvering during the fight but I find the complete lack of enemy icons to be real put off.  I lose track of opponents in the middle of fights as soon as they dip below the horizon.

Unfortunately I don't think this is available in the arena setup. :)

so he says......but i've got film upon film of him having absolutley no trouble tracking my dumb arse.  :bolt: :noid :airplane: :joystick:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
It was Fun ! I liked it .. It Gave the feel of no icons freind or foe. IMO it was a step in the right direction in regard to limiting the friendly icon advantage.
Its not the same as no icons, but much closer, surprisingly.

Took me about a half hour to start to be able to differentiate the silhouettes of friends and enemy  air craft before the short icons popped in to verify it for me.

Took some serious focus and allot of watermelon chat on coms, but combining com info(asking the right questions) dar dot headings, and other visual ques.. ie gun fire, direction ect. it was simple to put the pieces together and have some great fights.

Also it was easer to egress away from a gaining situation w/o the long friendly icons marking my AC and giving away my position.

Personally, I found it exiting and hope these settings stay. Then again, I like my scotch neat, my beer black and no filters on my cigarettes.. To each there own

Good call Jimson  :aok
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
There were some things I liked about it. It made radio comms way more important.

As a squaddie also mentioned, I found myself watching the radar sigs on clipboard a lot more and that was distracting.

I wanted to see if equal icon distances made "ganging" less likely, that was inconclusive.

It felt much closer to all icons off than all icons on.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »
There were some things I liked about it. It made radio comms way more important.

As a squaddie also mentioned, I found myself watching the radar sigs on clipboard a lot more and that was distracting.

I wanted to see if equal icon distances made "ganging" less likely, that was inconclusive.

Jim
I agree I noticed that I was watching the clipboard also alot last night and that was how I was finding out where the icon were at on the dot dar. Also it did make radio coms alot more then usual, But I also had a hard time with seeing who was who until I was up on them within Range.

I would like to give it a little longer to see how it pan's out like everything else it will take time to getting used to.

Salute
Crazy8s
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »

I found myself watching the radar sigs on clipboard a lot more and that was distracting.

Jim
I agree I noticed that I was watching the clipboard also alot last night and that was how I was finding out where the icon were at on the dot dar. Also it did make radio coms alot more then usual, Salute
Crazy8s

I have a solution to that.. Dont look at the clip clip map so much...Spend more time looking for movement and dots... Its less distracting and you'll get more focused. Oh and when you do get bounced is scares that crapo out of you  :O
  :airplane:
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
About getting bounced I noticed both times when the P-47 was on my Six they Cut their throttle twice to make it a sneak Attack, It will just take time to get used to that is All but I am willing to give it another shot can't really get used to it in 1 night, Heck it took me almost  2 weeks to get used to no icons when I first came to the AvA.
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed