Author Topic: How HTC can make a huge leap in AH graphics with no development cost  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: How HTC can make a huge leap in AH graphics with no development cost
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Is this where I vote for new Yak skins...?

No Yak Skins! :neener:  And my ONLY reason for saying this is, let the Yak get updated first.  This way WHEN more Yak skins are added, you'll thank me for saying this.  :D

From what I've read from various threads, there appears to be a MASSIVE backlog in the rotation of skins in general.  Maybe do a skin wipe and rotate the newest skins in?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
I agree with swapping the skins. Maybe do it as often as a map changes so it gets done with frequency maybe?
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
+3

Also, why are we allowed only 15 per plane? It shouldn't be a problem for the folks with low end since they can disable skins.

Every time your front end sees a skin it needs to load that skin x 109(?) planes x 15 skins.

Stutter, stutter stutter.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
I agree with swapping the skins. Maybe do it as often as a map changes so it gets done with frequency maybe?

Not skins that have a squad thats active unless its the same squad skin but better detail
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
Just to be clear too, this thread is not meant to diss Warhound's skin.  Back in the day when it was created I'm sure it was a fine skin.  But skinners have greatly improved their craft and technique in the years since it was released, and new skinning talent has come along.   Horse's Itch is just plain outclassed by many of the skins waiting in the queue to be rotated in.    

I didn't see an insult of warhound directly, nor an insult of his skin. Just a suggestion that you prefer one skin to another. THIS is how a skin swap request should be handled IMHO...

And Cactus, gorgeous skin. =) Nicely done mixing metal and paint like that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:14:48 PM by Knite »
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »
Not skins that have a squad thats active unless its the same squad skin but better detail

What TB said :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

I see lots of benefits for HTC if they allow this, there are LOTS of aircraft that would take a jump forward in appearance if they only had a newer skin set as the default.

A subtle change with big results, imo.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »
I think Fester made the same post about this skin a month or two back, I'd link it but no search haha. Yeah +1 catcus skin looks the part.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »
All for this idea. Some new eye candy to go with my new rig would be nice.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »
I've often thought HTC could get a big graphics upgrade if they swapped out some of the 256 res default skins used on some of the oldest rides for player skins done in 1024.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
Let the skins change with the arena, and snapshot events or FSO always require the squad to fly with the same skin.  Then the skins don't necessarily have to be on the server hogging space until a special event.

I also think that squads should be able to create a skin that does not have to be historically accurate, that can reflect the squads interest (even if it's only used for FSO).  Who knows, there may even be some money involved for you veteran skinners (hint hint).

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
I've often thought HTC could get a big graphics upgrade if they swapped out some of the 256 res default skins used on some of the oldest rides for player skins done in 1024.

I've specifically asked to reskin some of the defaults and been denied the opportunity. I don't know if it's a liability issue or a legal rights issue or just a "we don't want to bother with that" issue...

Regardless, HTC doesn't want to let folks do that, it seems.

Shame, too. There are some where the defaults could use a re-do (even some of the 3rd gen models... Bf109E, I'm looking at you...)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
agree with this thread, there seem to be a few good looking skins waiting their turn.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
Almost two years ago, yes, no exaggeration, Oboe voluntarily asked for one of his skins to be replaced by 'Uncle Cys Angel'. I've realized it may not even by in the game before my 5 month old son starts playing Aces High and maybe only after he graduates high school.

The skins are lagging way behind and they are the best form of advertising Aces High has to offer.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
OK, I will take this one over my oft requested P-61. It would be great to see some skins like this.

Boo
+2
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton