Author Topic: "Fester's eyesore" =P AKA "Florida Cracker" P38L 475th FG - Revamp  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Re: "Fester's eyesore" =P AKA "Florida Cracker" P38L 475th FG - Revamp
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
Interesting Cactus, I have the same picture, but the coloration is really different :

It looks to me maybe Matte black vs. Gloss black, though I could see OD as a possibility there? Very tough to tell... but frankly, it definitey points out the "nose top" was lighter in shade than the sides no matter what the reason for it was.

And on spinners, yes, definitely going metallic at this point.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:57:25 PM by Knite »
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
Well at least ur getting some help instead of insults :)
i agree on the yellow more mustard
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
Interesting Cactus, I have the same picture, but the coloration is really different :
(Image removed from quote.)

It looks to me maybe Matte black vs. Gloss black, though I could see OD as a possibility there? Very tough to tell... but frankly, it definitey points out the "nose top" was lighter in shade than the sides no matter what the reason for it was.

And on spinners, yes, definitely going metallic at this point.
Also shows the yellow border is not all the way around on the nose either.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »
The photo Cactus provided definitely looks to have an OD top with the black paint on the sides of the nose. I would think that it would be safe to say that OD paint on the nose top and on the engines were present on almost all combat operational P38s during this time. I would say to go with the standard OD paint with the exception of the black paint used for the nose art.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
 :aok
The photo Cactus provided definitely looks to have an OD top with the black paint on the sides of the nose. I would think that it would be safe to say that OD paint on the nose top and on the engines were present on almost all combat operational P38s during this time. I would say to go with the standard OD paint with the exception of the black paint used for the nose art.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
I apologize it is taking me longer than expected to get a new set of screenshots up. It's one of those scenarios that when I went to change one thing, I didn't like how it affected a 2nd thing, then a 3rd thing, then I wound up scrapping all of those and started over for that section. hahah

Sooooo, yes, I'm doing work, yes, I'm fixing a lot of what's been mentioned. Just a couple of specific notes :

- Gun ports - Still working on the black around them. I MAY have found something that doesn't look nearly as crummy as it did before.
- OD vs. Matte Black - I'm going to set things up with BOTH as possibilities, and put up screenshots for a vote. I've found a couple more pictures of FC but the truth is, all of them are from below where the light shines on the AC in a manner that being able to tell what color it was is almost impossible, so I'm going to setup both.
- I've done extensive work around the cockpit, and not only think I've fixed the issue of the curve around the wing-root, but I think dramatically improved that whole area under the front of the cockpit. Biggest problem I'm having right now is finding the panel that sits directly in front of the cockpit... it's a metal piece that sits on the front windscreen framing, that attaches also to the anti-glare panel... Can't find it, and don't like how it looks currently.
- Seams - undercarriage seams have been checked and I think are ok. Will do screenies later when the rest is set. Top seams are still not done.
- Yellow is now more "gold" than bright yellow, and prop spinners not only are bare metal, but I've added some weathering to the spinner and the prop itself.
- Panel lines - testing a new shading technique... not sure how I feel about it quite yet as I'm not done tweaking. Going to make them definitely a bit more noticable without going near as far as they used to be.
- "Extra panel line around spark tube" - it actually is shading and not lines... They are a separate layer I can turn on and off at least, and may take screens of both ways just for comparison/opinions.

Thanks again for all of the help. Hope my next set of screenies make you feel your opinions and time helping were well spent!  :salute
Knite

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
I'd say OD nose is more likely than solid black. Just based on what I've seen of P-38 pictures.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »
- I've done extensive work around the cockpit, and not only think I've fixed the issue of the curve around the wing-root, but I think dramatically improved that whole area under the front of the cockpit. Biggest problem I'm having right now is finding the panel that sits directly in front of the cockpit... it's a metal piece that sits on the front windscreen framing, that attaches also to the anti-glare panel... Can't find it, and don't like how it looks currently.

Here it is!

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
Thank you thank you thank you!  :banana: :banana: :banana:
Knite

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
I figured I'd have a screenshot up in 2 days... it's been a week and I still have a long way to go, but so far, here's the progress! And it may not look it, but this is a pretty substantial overhaul even from the previous "redone" screenshots in this thread. Some notes :

- I'll fix the "whitewall" front wheel before the next screenshot update. I didn't catch it on my most recent test. oops.  :lol
- Thanks to cactus, I'll redo the plating in front of the windscreen with OD when I finally get the rest of the "touches" I want to complete finished.
- Going to go back in and add a panel line here and there thanks to Oboe and more research. Same with more "text" stencils on parts of the aircraft.--
- Seams right now are lining up, but I'm going to go back in and redo some of it as well. It appears that one of the fuselage sides is 1 pixel off from the other, and I can't tell if it's just my paint job, or if it's something with the way the model/texture map is set, but it doesn't matter and is fixable.
- Gun "port" black may, or may not return for next set of screenshots. I've got bigger fish to fry.  :)
- I still have the "black" Anti-Glare panels available if people don't like/think the OD is right after seeing this.

This is definitely still a work in progress, so anything you see I got wrong with the changes that I HAVEN'T caught, please feel free to point it out.

Knite

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Good work, Knite. I'll be looking forward to the new screenshots. I also like the OD paint over the matte black. It is more historically accurate, and I think that is the most important part. Good catch on the spinners too. Another thing you might want to look into is making your panels vary in finish. Pick some aluminum panels to look a bit weathered, and some to look more fresh. This gives a better representation of a battle worn P38. Perhaps make the panels slightly different in color.

Remember that many people will be flying this plane from the cockpit. Add tidbits of detail around the cockpit to one-up the immersion factor.

Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
Knite,

Is there a way you can "sharpen" the Florida Cracker text in the nose art? It is a bit pixelated, but could just be the resolution issue and the way the skin wraps around the shape. What about the killboard? Could you "sharpen" the images on there?
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
Knite,
Is there a way you can "sharpen" the Florida Cracker text in the nose art? It is a bit pixelated, but could just be the resolution issue and the way the skin wraps around the shape. What about the killboard? Could you "sharpen" the images on there?

I'd love to Plaz. The problem with the flags / kill marks is that they are literally 4 pixes by 7 pixels... so unless I make them larger, I haven't figured out a way to make them any more detailed. About the best I can do to "sharpen" them up would be to remove some of the red, and instead go with 6 or 4 lines (like a plus) instead of the sun rays I'm trying to fake currently. Any ideas I may be missing?
I've got a similar problem with the text for the noseart... the font itself is a very angular font, and doesn't lend itself well to lower resolution usage. I'm still working on the text though, but I haven't found anything that looks good, legible, AND invokes a similar feeling to the original text. =(

Also, believe it or not,there are some panels that are slightly lighter and darker, (the panel above the 149, and the one behind the 14, vs the panel behind the 9, the panel behind the mirror on the far side of the cockpit). It's just very subtle. In a few days I'll have some more "specific" screenshots, and a couple from cockpit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:58:44 PM by Knite »
Knite

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »
Fester's eyesore?

Ive avoided this thread because I knew if I saw it on a bad day I would respond.

But I will refrain from my typical blasting standard in overpriced art schools critic I ussually give to anyone who can stand it. I instead will accept that you do this for enjoyment and relaxation and it is fun for you so good for you enjoy yourself.

Know this though...

When it is good work I will tell you. when it is not I will not comment unless its mass produced spam that fills up slots that could be used for artwork that is a joy to look at even to critical eyes.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013