Author Topic: Anyone with a Dodge truck experience?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Re: Anyone with a Dodge truck experience?
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
Saggs, you could figure too though... put the same trailer on my brothers truck and it wont be the same. his 98 ram 2500 Cummins 24 valve is the furthest thing from stock....but he has sigificantly larger injector lines, so it would be worse then bad as far as efficiency goes.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
I have an 04 Silverado 2500 4dr that runs like a friggin top, no issues in the 100k miles i have on it, 1 set of brakes, tires but thats it. Im meticulous on (preventive) maintence though (Oil changes, trans flush etc). Mine looks exactly like Spikes (color and all) She rides like a Cadillac (no bouncing that I hated in my Ford F250) and i could pull a house if i wanted too  lol.

Regarding saving gas, one thing to remember that if you tow something with an underpowered truck, you could use more gas then you would with a truck with a larger engine as the little engine has to work harder......so really what are you saving. From everything ive ever known, over working the little motors will burn more fuel. (I might be wrong though, Cap may know better) Im also sure you could find a nice Silverado 1500HD as well, for the price ur looking to spend.

The 1500HD came out in model year 2001. It is a 2500 truck with 2500 frame and axles, and brakes. It is a lot different than regular/plain 1500, 6 lugs vs 8 lugs for example. One of the reasons I heard is that in 2001 Ford came out with the supercrew F150 so GM to compete with that rebadged the 2500 chasis as 1500 HD. In 2001 GM did not have the light 1500 Crew cab yet developed. Please note that in 2004 1500hd was not offered, it really was as a crewcab 2500 (not 2500HD), so basicaly from 2001-2003 you had 1500HD, then 2004 same truck was 2500 (non HD), and then in 2005 they came back as 1500HD. Also if you look at the GVWR, the 1500HD and 2500 were always 8600 lbs, while the light 1500 were always 6400-6800 lbs. The 2500HD are 9200 lbs, and 3500 are in the 11,000 range.

This is not a slam on the Dodge, Im just a Silverado guy. I have 2 My O4 and an 2010 4dr, both flawless running vech.

two things i noted.

1)preventive maintenance. THIS one thing, alone will save you THOUSANDS over the lifetime of your vehicle. smart people do it meticulously. somewhat smart people will bichc and whine about the cost of it, but then they'll do it. not smart people(otherwise known as stupid people) will brush it off saying it's just the shops trying to make more money off of them.

2) it is true. while the smaller engine may do you better when you're not pulling, you will pay when you hook a load up to the vehicle. you'll work the smaller engine MUCH harder on acceleration, and believe it or not, on deceleration. as you;re cruising, that little engine will be struggling, while a larger one may be just idling along with no effort.
 consider it like the mini-suv's you see. you can get them with 4 or 6 cylinder engines. most people i've dealt with report more fuel consumption from the little 4 banger, because it's always working, as opposed to the 6 banger that hardly works to accelerate the vehicle in the first place....then just cruises along enjoying itself.

also, something i hadn't much thought of. baily has VERY valid points concerning 1500 vs 2500.  if you;re going to be towing often, spend the extra money and get the 2500, and either go with ford or chevy.
 while i do like the dodges, experience has shown me that fords and chevys are much more reliable towing heavy loads. they've got ginormous brakes, generally very large disc brakes at all 4 corners, which you will appreciate when the time comes to stop quickly.
 while i'm a ford nut, you will find that the chevys have better transmissions than the fords, although you'll stilll want to add a transmission cooler for the towing.
 when you go to the 2500 series, you're gonna have a stronger frame, more capable springs, and much better shocks than the 1500, and the differential........whelp.... you'd need a high torque twin turbo diesel to break it.
 another thing that i may have missed, but haven;'t seen......with the 2500, you'll most likely be on truck rims, at least 16", with LT 10 ply tires mounted. you WANT those tires for towing. anything less is asking for trouble.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I drive a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 and it's a great truck overall. However, like several others have said don't trust the Chrysler transmissions, mine failed at around 110,000 miles. Even after having to replace the tranny I still wouldn't get rid of this truck.

chrysler transmissions seem to fail around 100k. i have a customer with a durango, and a 1500 ramvan....both with autos, both model year 2000. they bought them both at the same time.
 the durango failed at 98k, the van 3 weeks later at around 101k.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
bring back the old school. especially if this is the case.

nah.....todays manual transmissions are lightyears from the old manuals, as are the automatics.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »
why do you say? not lookin for an argument, just curious.

Neither am I bud.

Common Weakpoints in General:  (I'm talking 4x4's here).   I'm leaving out Transmissions as these are hit or miss and more indicative of driver habits, on the whole (Although Dodge transmissions rarely last 100k).

Dodge - Engines, Transfer Cases and their still useless Unit Bearing Front Axle Assemblies (94 and up).    

GM - Transfer Cases and the 5.3/6.0L gas engine.

Ford - Transfer Cases.    They finally worked the bugs out of the 5.4L 3V so that is no longer a problem.

Tell me again how Dodge has them by the nuts?    The Unit Bearing Assemblies are junk and the Aftermarket UPGRADE costs around $1000.    Hmm, you'd think they just "do it right and produce without the Unit Bearing"?    Again.   The entire ".7 family of engines" are junk and their customers deserve better.   But the Unit Bearing Assembly itself eliminates them from any "prize".    I still laugh when folks lift those Dodge's and don't spend the money on an upgrade (90% of them don't) and end up shelling out more money instead.

As far as "90's model trucks" give me either a GM (either brand) with a 350 or a Ford with a 302/351 instead.  

But there is no way in hell that Dodge has either Company in their cross hairs.   If they did, they sneezed and lost sight of their target.    Sorry, but I am a Ford guy and am willing to be unbiased in this case.   But Ford and GM are where it's at in trucks.   While my pop gets the Z Plan for Ford, I would be content with a GMC/Chevy pickup.     Like I said before, Dodge's customers deserve a better product than they are purchasing and it's a damn shame their own customers are being snowballed.

As for Nissan and Toyota in saggs post.    Toyota cannot even design a durable door/tailgate handle, so my interest in them would cease.    Nissan?   Some of worst reliability numbers across their vehicle line.   As they have gotten better over the last few years, I wouldn't go near them, much less spend a dollar on one.    

I have an 04 Silverado 2500 4dr that runs like a friggin top, no issues in the 100k miles i have on it, 1 set of brakes, tires but thats it. Im meticulous on (preventive) maintence though (Oil changes, trans flush etc). Mine looks exactly like Spikes (color and all) She rides like a Cadillac (no bouncing that I hated in my Ford F250) and i could pull a house if i wanted too  lol.

That is because the F-250 is leaf-sprung (unless you're talking about a 99+ Coil, which then I would have to question).   The GMC is IFS, so the ride would be smoother.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
two things i noted.

1)preventive maintenance. THIS one thing, alone will save you THOUSANDS over the lifetime of your vehicle. smart people do it meticulously. somewhat smart people will bichc and whine about the cost of it, but then they'll do it. not smart people(otherwise known as stupid people) will brush it off saying it's just the shops trying to make more money off of them.

2) it is true. while the smaller engine may do you better when you're not pulling, you will pay when you hook a load up to the vehicle. you'll work the smaller engine MUCH harder on acceleration, and believe it or not, on deceleration. as you;re cruising, that little engine will be struggling, while a larger one may be just idling along with no effort.
 consider it like the mini-suv's you see. you can get them with 4 or 6 cylinder engines. most people i've dealt with report more fuel consumption from the little 4 banger, because it's always working, as opposed to the 6 banger that hardly works to accelerate the vehicle in the first place....then just cruises along enjoying itself.

also, something i hadn't much thought of. baily has VERY valid points concerning 1500 vs 2500.  if you;re going to be towing often, spend the extra money and get the 2500, and either go with ford or chevy.
 while i do like the dodges, experience has shown me that fords and chevys are much more reliable towing heavy loads. they've got ginormous brakes, generally very large disc brakes at all 4 corners, which you will appreciate when the time comes to stop quickly.
 while i'm a ford nut, you will find that the chevys have better transmissions than the fords, although you'll stilll want to add a transmission cooler for the towing.
 when you go to the 2500 series, you're gonna have a stronger frame, more capable springs, and much better shocks than the 1500, and the differential........whelp.... you'd need a high torque twin turbo diesel to break it.
 another thing that i may have missed, but haven;'t seen......with the 2500, you'll most likely be on truck rims, at least 16", with LT 10 ply tires mounted. you WANT those tires for towing. anything less is asking for trouble.

Also on the "smaller engine".   You are more than likely at a higher RPM and that Transmission is now working overtime.   I do like the improved reliability of the 4L60/80E's.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
Nope, 2002 F250 Diesel.......thing shook me around like the last  piece of popcorn in a hot air popper.  Great work truck though, I abused the heck out of it, and she took everything i could throw at her. Guess im just gettin  :old:, and like the nice smooth ride of the Silverados. :lol

I actually like my 04 more than my wifes 4dr 2010. My wife fell in love with mine, to the point that she use to drive it to work everyday (I have a company car) I knew it was time to get her her own when i jumped into my truck on the weekend to go grab some lumber, and there was a Longaberger basket trashcan on the floor under the radio, and a puppy dog air freshener hanging from the rear view. The entire truck smelled like strawberries.  For fear of being laughed right out of the lumber yard, We went and got her her own about a month later  :lol
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
Nope, 2002 F250 Diesel.......thing shook me around like the last  piece of popcorn in a hot air popper.  Great work truck though, I abused the heck out of it, and she took everything i could throw at her. Guess im just gettin  :old:, and like the nice smooth ride of the Silverados. :lol

I actually like my 04 more than my wifes 4dr 2010. My wife fell in love with mine, to the point that she use to drive it to work everyday (I have a company car) I knew it was time to get her her own when i jumped into my truck on the weekend to go grab some lumber, and there was a Longaberger basket trashcan on the floor under the radio, and a puppy dog air freshener hanging from the rear view. The entire truck smelled like strawberries.  For fear of being laughed right out of the lumber yard, We went and got her her own about a month later  :lol

Crotchety bastage!    :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
Neither am I bud.

Common Weakpoints in General:  (I'm talking 4x4's here).   I'm leaving out Transmissions as these are hit or miss and more indicative of driver habits, on the whole (Although Dodge transmissions rarely last 100k).

Dodge - Engines, Transfer Cases and their still useless Unit Bearing Front Axle Assemblies (94 and up).    

GM - Transfer Cases and the 5.3/6.0L gas engine.

Ford - Transfer Cases. Their inner AND outer bearings are packed together in one unit. to replace either the inner OR outer bearing you have to replace the other..which is beyond pointless if its still perfectly good. Got a good buddy who used to work o nFords exclusively and he mentioned this was a piss poor design. M dad had to have his bearings redone and almost watermelon when he heard this.    They finally worked the bugs out of the 5.4L 3V so that is no longer a problem.

Tell me again how Dodge has them by the nuts?    The Unit Bearing Assemblies are junk and the Aftermarket UPGRADE costs around $1000.    Hmm, you'd think they just "do it right and produce without the Unit Bearing"?    Again.   The entire ".7 family of engines" are junk and their customers deserve better.   But the Unit Bearing Assembly itself eliminates them from any "prize".    I still laugh when folks lift those Dodge's and don't spend the money on an upgrade (90% of them don't) and end up shelling out more money instead.

As far as "90's model trucks" give me either a GM (either brand) with a 350 or a Ford with a 302/351 instead.  

But there is no way in hell that Dodge has either Company in their cross hairs.   If they did, they sneezed and lost sight of their target.    Sorry, but I am a Ford guy and am willing to be unbiased in this case.   But Ford and GM are where it's at in trucks.   While my pop gets the Z Plan for Ford, I would be content with a GMC/Chevy pickup.     Like I said before, Dodge's customers deserve a better product than they are purchasing and it's a damn shame their own customers are being snowballed. I'm a ford and dodge man. While i may prefer Dodge a little more, Ford isnt a bad vehicle. I cant stand Chevy or GM though.

As for Nissan and Toyota in saggs post.    Toyota cannot even design a durable door/tailgate handle, so my interest in them would cease.    Nissan?   Some of worst reliability numbers across their vehicle line.   As they have gotten better over the last few years, I wouldn't go near them, much less spend a dollar on one.    +1

That is because the F-250 is leaf-sprung (unless you're talking about a 99+ Coil, which then I would have to question)my dad has a 2000 F250..rides like a tank. he has beefier Leaf springs in it, but nothing is smoothing it out..   The GMC is IFS, so the ride would be smoother.
HogDweeb

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Crotchety bastage!    :devil

Just turned 40..........yep about right there Jay   :rofl
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 07:15:46 PM »

Fords bearings are not the "Dodge One Piece Unit Bearings".    I'm talking right here, right now, go to the showroom.    If we're talking "Vacuum Hub Assemblies" they suck in General.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »
Fords bearings are not the "Dodge One Piece Unit Bearings".    I'm talking right here, right now, go to the showroom.    If we're talking "Vacuum Hub Assemblies" they suck in General.
Dodge is doin it too now?
HogDweeb

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
Dodge is doin it too now?

They have been since 94.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
They have been since 94.   
didnt know that. then again, im not big into the suspension aspect of Dodge..more of the engine/fuelsystem/exhaust kinda person.

you have enlightened me. thank you  :rock
HogDweeb

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
didnt know that. then again, im not big into the suspension aspect of Dodge..more of the engine/fuelsystem/exhaust kinda person.

you have enlightened me. thank you  :rock

well...not to be a dick....but compared to ford and chevy, dodges v-8's suck, as do their fuel systems, and computer control systems. actually, their exhaust isn't too good either.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"